Realistic range time w/Elsie? - Page 3

Realistic range time w/Elsie?

This is a discussion on Realistic range time w/Elsie? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I save my pizza boxes and other cardboard for use as targets . For sighting in , I cut out a circle stencil (4") and ...

Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Realistic range time w/Elsie?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    I save my pizza boxes and other cardboard for use as targets . For sighting in , I cut out a circle stencil (4") and spray paint a center dot . They can be hung from a string with clothes pins .

2. #22 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Thanks for the tips. I've inadvertently become a Ruger fan. I carry an SR9c and an LC9s when not carrying my LCP Custom. The thing I love most about the LCP as that it has made me a true everyday/everywhere carrier. Until I got it, I can't say that was true. I can say for sure, I have never felt like I was itching for a gunfight and I try to avoid dangerous situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. #23 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenaper View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I've inadvertently become a Ruger fan. I carry an SR9c and an LC9s when not carrying my LCP Custom. The thing I love most about the LCP as that it has made me a true everyday/everywhere carrier. Until I got it, I can't say that was true. I can say for sure, I have never felt like I was itching for a gunfight and I try to avoid dangerous situations.

I was just kidding with the itching comment as I'm sure you know, avoiding trouble is always the way to go, but planning during every day carry is part of the deal. An LCP in the pocket is better than a 9mm in the safe/dresser. If I knew for sure the time and place I would be "involved".....I would have my Sig Sauer 226 with 15 shot mag but that's just not realistic. I had to carry a gun for many years and it was the departments choice of weapon, now the option of a lightweight pocket carry under the right circumstances(non winter) is very appealing. The reason I refuse to give up my Generation 1 LCP is because it goes BANG every single time, and has NEVER failed. That is also the reason I stay with all original Ruger parts and don't mess with something that ain't broken.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mtkfish View Post
    I was just kidding with the itching comment as I'm sure you know, avoiding trouble is always the way to go, but planning during every day carry is part of the deal. An LCP in the pocket is better than a 9mm in the safe/dresser. If I knew for sure the time and place I would be "involved".....I would have my Sig Sauer 226 with 15 shot mag but that's just not realistic. I had to carry a gun for many years and it was the departments choice of weapon, now the option of a lightweight pocket carry under the right circumstances(non winter) is very appealing. The reason I refuse to give up my Generation 1 LCP is because it goes BANG every single time, and has NEVER failed. That is also the reason I stay with all original Ruger parts and don't mess with something that ain't broken.
    We're on the same page here. I never owned a pocket pistol until January of this year. I've already put over 2k rounds through my LCP Custom and love carrying it - no distractions, no discomfort. I actually carry it IWB in a tiny, minimalist Kydex holster. I thought I'd pocket carry but with the Hogue grip on it, it doesn't draw well from jeans. The little LCP in the little Kydex is super light, thin and hardly noticeable to me - completely unnoticeable to anyone around me. I replaced the recoil springs at 1,180 rounds with factory replacements. It was probably premature since I couldn't tell the difference but for $2 a piece, I got a little peace of mind that I was maintaining it. I couldn't be any happier with my LCP.

6. #25 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    I thought I'd pocket carry but with the Hogue grip on it, it doesn't draw well from jeans.
    Help me out here, Joe. I've heard this comment about the Hogue grip before and I'd love to get to the bottom of it.

What technique are you using to draw the LCP from your pocket that using a Hogue grip creates a problem with? For example, if you're carrying your LCP in your front pocket and your entire hand goes into your pocket when you grip the pistol, thereby presumably surrounding the grip completely, what's causing the problem? Is the added size of the grip making it difficult to pull your LCP out of your pocket or is the grip's material grabbing on the inside of your pocket in some way that isn't prevented by surrounding the grip with your hand? If it's the former, would looser fitting jeans solve the problem? I've heard so many good things about the Hogue Handall that I purchased one. But I haven't installed it yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to run into the same problem you did.
    Last edited by bld522; 05-16-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Self-defense Rule #1: Time is of the essence!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

7. #26 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    For me it's a combination of both plus the tackiness of the grip material. But not enough for me to remove the grip as I don't pocket carry that often. I will start my draw with my thumb and two to three fingers then grip completely as it starts moving from my pocket and holster. As anything else it took practice to become muscle memory.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

8. #27 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Thanks, mukwah. I do pocket carry, but normally my back pocket and palm in. So I have to put my entire hand into my back pocket to draw my LCP. I figure if I can insert my hand in my pocket sufficiently to draw my LCP, a Hogue grip won't hang it up. Then again, summer's coming and I bought some shorts with cargo pockets that ride high on the thigh. They're perfect for holstering my LCP/Nemesis. In fact, I put my LCP in one cargo pocket and my wallet in the other. Then I asked my wife which pocket my gun was in. She guessed the wrong pocket. :-)

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

9. #28 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    I also have the Hogue rubber grip sleeve on Elsie, pocket carry in the holster Ruger supplied, and never have a problem w/the grip sticking inside my pocket although I'm not discounting previous experiences. My hand/glove size is XLG and the Hogue helps keep the gun from slipping around under recoil so to me it's a must.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

10. #29 Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Pretty much what Mukwah said. Even with the Hogue installed, I can still pocket draw fairly well in khakis or cargo pants but not so much with jeans (regular Levi's). It's a tighter fit and the Hogue makes it just a bit tackier where it wants to stick to the pocket lining a bit. I should add, I've only pocket carried in front pocket so I can't comment on rear pocket drawing.

What I like about the Hogue is that the slightly fatter grip fits my hand a bit better (size XL gloves). I get a better purchase. However, the best feature of the Hogue for me (ymmv) is that it's at it's thickest at the backstrap. It gives me just enough extra reach from the web between my thumb and trigger finger to the trigger that really seems to make a difference. I shoot my wife's LCP (sans Hogue) side by side with mine frequently enough to really appreciate the difference. While pocket carry was the reason I bought an LCP, I got a really tiny and light Kydex IWB that I can wear all day and not notice. I draw a whole heck of a lot faster from this holster than anything I can put in my pocket. I still drop the LCP in my pocket occasionally (usually just in the Ruger pocket holster) but I've gotten really comfortable with my Concealment Express Kydex holster.

There was another thread suggesting we try shooting without the mag extension and grip to see how much better we may shoot. I tried and I'm back to my configuration with both. It's just what works best for me. We're all different.

Edit add:
    So yes BLD522, when drawing from jeans, it's not practical to get my whole hand in. Looser jeans would probably make the difference.

Second edit:
    I've never tried pocket carry in my back pocket for a few reasons.
    Comfort - don't want to sit on a pistol
    Security - wouldn't want person behind me to see it and pull it
    Speed - seen wallet holsters - but extra steps... time to fire
    Retention - concerned it could fall out under some circumstances

I'd give it a try if someone who carries this way could allay my concerns. -- probably a topic for whole new thread.

Last edited by Joenaper; 05-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.

11. #30 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    I've never tried pocket carry in my back pocket for a few reasons.
    Comfort - don't want to sit on a pistol
    Security - wouldn't want person behind me to see it and pull it
    Speed - seen wallet holsters - but extra steps... time to fire
    Retention - concerned it could fall out under some circumstances

I'd give it a try if someone who carries this way could allay my concerns. -- probably a topic for whole new thread.
    I'll try to allay your concerns, Joe . . .

Comfort - I wear my jeans at normal waist level and my back pocket rides slightly above my butt, not underneath it. So there's never any real threat of actually sitting on my LCP. For what it's worth, I've carried a William Henry knife in my wallet in the opposite back pocket for years. It weighs 1.7 ounces and has a 3" blade. Needless to say, the handle of that knife . . . while constructed of Titanium . . . is incredibly thin. After all this time, it shows no signs of distress whatsoever.

Security - I'm retired and I have the luxury of always being able to wear a shirt or a t-shirt over whatever pants or shorts I'm wearing. Doing that eliminates the possibility of my LCP being seen by wandering eyes when it's in my back pocket.

Speed - I carry my LCP in a Nemesis holster in both my front pocket and my back pocket. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in speed whether I draw it from the front pocket or the rear pocket. Getting comfortable with a back pocket draw is mostly just a matter of practice.

Retention - Gravity and tension do an excellent job of making my LCP stay put in my back pocket . . . except when I stand on my head, of course. ;-)

As far as drawing from your front pocket is concerned, I'm trying to figure out how you can do that without putting your whole hand in your pocket. Do you just use your thumb to draw your LCP and keep your fingers outside the pocket until the pistol clears your pocket sufficiently to grip it with them? Please explain.
    Last edited by bld522; 05-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads