'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law - Page 2

'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law

This is a discussion on 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; It's new legislature that has not passed the State Legislature nor been signed into law by the Governor from what I read. The Legislature is ...

Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    It's new legislature that has not passed the State Legislature nor been signed into law by the Governor from what I read. The Legislature is largely made up of lawyers....so, after committee, after house, after senate discussion and on to the Governor....it should and probably will get a lot of scrutiny. Read the last sentence again.

“point, don’t shoot,” would change current gun law to allow people to point their firearms at others without being charged with a crime.
    Senate Bill 40, would make changes to an existing law that makes pointing a firearm a crime. So, the bill changes language to read "a person pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony..." can't be convicted of a crime for doing so.

It is illegal and has been for a number of years to brandish a firearm or to threaten others with one. This goes for knives and certain other items as well. So this seems simply to be clarifying this aspect of the law with regard to self-defense of self or others. I don't see a problem. e.g. I'm in a Jimmy John's, notice a perp pointing a jammed firearm at the head of a cashier....I can pull my firearm and tell him to drop it without fear of legal repercussions even if I choose not to fire. I am in no way justified to pull a firearm because some guy cut in front of me at the food bar, just because I'm irritated about it. That remains illegal and rightly so.

I'm having trouble making these letters all jive size wise.... 1917
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

2. #12 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    ETS
    So, as I understand it, just showing a firearm in response to a threat was punishable, even though it is widely known that doing so de-escalates the vast majority of self defense situations....seems the previous law makers were saying "better to kill 'em rather than scare 'em". Typical "political-think".
    Last edited by ETS; 05-01-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #13 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    I think it is a law that is past it's time, in todays world any felon is going to be armed or you had better assume they are & I don't think that is an exaggeration, so before you think about pointing & not shooting you/we had better make sure we/you are prepared & ready to shoot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    This already exists in Texas and doesn't seem to be a problem. In Texas, you can use force (but not deadly force) against a person who is about to use or is using illegal force. Drawing your weapon is considered "force" (as is raising a baseball bat, for example).
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

6. #15 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    It looks like Oklahoma state legislation got all their advice from Diane Feinstein and Pelosi. I truely believe that the Oklahoma Legislators has a very BAD case of carnial anal inversion.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

7. #16 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    Quote Originally Posted by toytraindoc View Post
    It looks like Oklahoma state legislation got all their advice from Diane Feinstein and Pelosi. I truely believe that the Oklahoma Legislators has a very BAD case of carnial anal inversion.
    Don't know what that is and I hope I never do .
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

8. #17 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Don't know what that is and I hope I never do .
    Sounds rather unpleasant!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    mr.mike1407 likes this.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

9. #18 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    You cannot show a weapon to "scare" or "prove a point" or "detain", you will be charged with Felony Menacing. If you have a reasonable fear for your safety, and in some areas property, using your weapon is perfectly acceptable. If pulling your weapon stops the threat, you have to stop there. Even with make my day laws it will still be a bad day in court if you pull the trigger without showing the threat continued.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, Charger, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...

10. #19 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    I honestly think this is a great example where no law would be preferable and allowing common sense dictate case by case. I posted the article on another gun forum to see what others are saying. This bill seems like it's likely to lead to unintended consequences.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

11. #20 Re: 'Point - don't shoot' Oklahoma gun law 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenaper View Post
    I honestly think this is a great example where no law would be preferable and allowing common sense dictate case by case. I posted the article on another gun forum to see what others are saying. This bill seems like it's likely to lead to unintended consequences.
    Unless you're a lawyer---then its totally intended consequences.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads