Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? - Page 3

Carry a spare mag w/Elsie?

This is a discussion on Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by Splinter I always carry a reload regardless of what I have with me. Elsie is my EDC and I have a spare ...

Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I always carry a reload regardless of what I have with me. Elsie is my EDC and I have a spare mag in the watch pocket of my jeans, along with another spare in the car. As a retiree whose orbits are pretty safe I know there is almost zero chance of needing my gun, let alone a reload, but I ran out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight when I was a 28 y/o detective (issued Colt DS). I'm just curious; how many others always carry extra ammo?

Also retired LEO and also used to carry Colt DS 6 shot before we switched to Glock 19. When I carry the LCP in my front pocket - the way I always carry - I usually carry an extra mag but mainly because my little pocket holster has a place for it and when I carry it with an even smaller pocket holster with no place for an extra mag it has more of a tendency to tilt over in my pocket, but that's just the dinky holsters I use...Like you said there is very little chance of me needing and having the opportunity to use it...and there is always a hypothetical situation you can think of where whatever you have wouldn't be adequate and you'd wish you had something bigger and better. Most gunfights are two shots at close range, and many many more situations are solved by just producing the weapon (and that's where a gun with a bigger hole in the front shines because it is more visible and more intimidating - and saves a lot of paperwork if you don't actually have to shoot (rehabilitate) the criminals on the spot). So I dunno - it's optional. Lately I've been carrying the LCR .38 in my front pocket, just like I used to carry the old S&W Bodyguard Airweight 5 shot on my job (and that was, and still is, a perfectly good gun and I probably should have just stuck with it). So extra mag or no extra mag is optional I would say. If the LCP jams - mine never does, but then there's Murphy's Law! - chances are a million to one you're not going to have the opportunity to clear the jam and put in a new mag, not in a struggle at close range, ergo the revolver. I'm babbling so much I forgot what I'm trying to say, if anything...Oh extra mag - either way, whatever...
    davevabch and mr.mike1407 like this.

2. #22 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    ETS
    "...Oh extra mag - either way, whatever... "

Agree, W--that about sums it up! Funny how very upset people can be about something that is a whole lot less likely, statistically, than what they are facing all the many times they get in their cars.
    w likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #23 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    No extra mags when around town, but road trips I'll take two.
    pennsy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I was a working cop for 30 years and involved in the use of deadly force more than once. I AM NOT John Wayne but do know what I'm talking about. Carrying spare ammo is no sign of anything aside from being prepared and I resent the implication!
    Totally agree! Famous John Wayne quote, "Life is tough, it's tougher when your stupid".

I carried an extra mag for a while, but after moving to IWB carry years ago, I just carry two guns instead. Larger caliber IWB like an LC9 or XDS 3.3 .45. Sometimes even a XD subcompact service model (4 inch) 10+1 .45. But always a Seecamp too in a back pocket, because it is so easy. Love the New York reload!

6. #25 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    My ELSIE is my BACKUP to my Glock. In in my front offhand pocket.

7. #26 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Great advice W.......IMO, the extra mag for an LCP is really not necessary, your not going to get a chance to use it in any practical self defense situation as you correctly described. The LCP is a last chance self defense weapon where first shot placement is critical(second better yet) lol
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

8. #27 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    For me, the decision is a simple risk assessment problem in which I have to weigh the inconvenience of carrying a spare magazine [or BUG] against the probability that I'll actually need to use it.

9. #28 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Interesting discussion. I just watched a Paul Harrell video on this topic and he suggested either one spare mag or speed strip/speed loader (thirty-eight). That's just where my comfort level lies and it's just as easy, for me at least, to carry a reload of some sort.
    Last edited by Splinter; 04-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

10. #29 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Generally no, but I do keep a loaded spare mag in my glove box of my car and then carry it with me if I feel I am min a situation that is more hazardous than my norm, which is pretty light most of the time. I live in a low crime area and occasionally travel to a higher crime area. Around my home terf I feel one mag is fine. Normally, from what I have read, in the event of a BG trying something, just producing a gun will cause the BG to flee.

11. #30 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Really some good conversations here lately wish more folks would chime in, as I said I am sitting here in my little office with my LCP II in my pocket & my extra mag is outside in my truck.
    I first started down this path of being a armed citizen because my wife decided that she was not going to wait around to become a victim, by the way she does always carry an extra mag for her LCP, so I just followed her.
    I first tried to carry my SD9ve with 17 rounds I did feel very well armed never thought I needed an extra mag but even being a mid size it was so big I felt like I was wearing a sign that said I was carrying. Next I tried a M&P9c a double stack compact 9 is still not small. The more I thought about it the more I knew I wanted to carry in a way that even if people looked to see they could not tell. In my search for a pocket pistol that I could handle & shoot well enough to depend on I got a Bersa 380 CC a almost great gun & with a little modifying on a holster I had it was slim enough for IWB but was to heavy & just a little too big for pocket. All this time I kept trying my wife's LCP wishing the trigger would just break a little more forward, I looked at the sweet pea triggers people were putting in them, before i could find a cheep used LCP they came out with the custom I was still looking for one to try when I saw the first videos of the LCP II.
    Back to the the point of the thread I never considered carrying a second mag until I got this gun & now I keep forgetting to put it in my other pocket.
    ETS likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads