Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? - Page 2

Carry a spare mag w/Elsie?

This is a discussion on Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Let's get real here, when the LCP is empty it is time to run. The LCP is not a combat gun, and some of these ...

Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Let's get real here, when the LCP is empty it is time to run. The LCP is not a combat gun, and some of these responses are ridiculous to say the least. Being in law enforcement for 30+years, my advice is stop thinking your John Wayne the gunslinger and get your ass behind cover, get concealment or run! Where does a civilian think they are going to be where they will be reloading a pocket gun? Sorry, but I like reality and we are in fantasy land here!
    davevabch, bld522 and rpott3 like this.

2. #12 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    ETS
    "....... in fantasy land here". Wait, I think there is a movie here and we can call it La La Land.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #13 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    For sure, when I'm empty I'm gonna be ducking for cover anywhere I can find. But, as soon as I can I'm gonna reload!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Personally I think it will end one way or another in a few seconds. Might want to think about something more than a Pea shooter like the 380.I have gotten to the point that I only carry a 9mm now and my Pico for a backup. I figure the 9mm will increase my odds.
    Why not a .44 Magnum?
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

6. #15 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mtkfish View Post
    Let's get real here, when the LCP is empty it is time to run. The LCP is not a combat gun, and some of these responses are ridiculous to say the least. Being in law enforcement for 30+years, my advice is stop thinking your John Wayne the gunslinger and get your ass behind cover, get concealment or run! Where does a civilian think they are going to be where they will be reloading a pocket gun? Sorry, but I like reality and we are in fantasy land here!
    If you think a spare mag is silly , you would love a post I saw on a different forum . It asked if anyone carried 3 guns . Scarier yet , some did . Rambo lives .
    davevabch likes this.

7. #16 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    I was a working cop for 30 years and involved in the use of deadly force more than once. I AM NOT John Wayne but do know what I'm talking about. Carrying spare ammo is no sign of anything aside from being prepared and I resent the implication!
    seery, Joenaper, lws380 and 1 others like this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

8. #17 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mtkfish View Post
    Only reason I can think of to carry a spare mag is if I want to put a Ruger 7-round extended mag in my LCP. That would leave the original 6-round mag as a spare. As someone else mentioned, the LCP mag doesn't weigh very much, so I might as well keep it on me rather than leave it sitting in the safe.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

9. #18 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Someone mentioned running away as on option to a confrontation and generally I would agree except I'm handicapped, walk w/a cane and cannot run anywhere. For people like me options are limited to fight, or beg for mercy. I've been through more than one deadly confrontation as an LEO so my perspective is different. I also present a tempting target as a senior citizen shuffling along w/a cane and have to be ready so I can continue to enjoy my grandkids as they grow into adults.
    bld522, seery, w and 1 others like this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

10. #19 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Because most of us cannot handle a 44.magnum very well, ammo to train is very expensive, and it is a very heavy gun and large gun. More of a application for a bear. But if you feel like you are Dirty Harry, then go for it. The 9mm for most of us mortal men is a fine choice, and not hard to CCW. But if you feel like the 380. is a strong enough cartridge then go for that as well. Just not for me.
    The .380 cartridge is a compromise for me. The reason I decided to select it over a more potent round is that pistols that chamber the .380 are small enough to conceal easily and light enough to carry comfortably. I'm also persuaded that modern self-defense cartridges in .380 are sufficient to provide more than a flea-flicking effect. If I were willing to carry a heavier, less concealable pistol, then yes . . . the 9mm would be my choice.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

11. #20 Re: Carry a spare mag w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    The .380 cartridge is a compromise for me. The reason I decided to select it over a more potent round is that reliable pistols that chamber the .380 are small enough to conceal easily and light enough to carry comfortably. If I were willing to carry a heavier, less concealable pistol, then yes . . . the 9mm would be my choice.
    Pocket carry of a sub compact 9 is doable on a limited basis . If you know your pants are just right and you won't be doing anything but walking that day , OK . Any activity more than that and it will be pushing on you when you bend over . Belt carry is also activity oriented . A lot of bending over will print all day . Compromise . My little NAA 22lr is a truly go anywhere , do anything carry gun but very limited in what you can expect from it . Pretty much point blank shooting .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads