Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? - Page 5

Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry?

This is a discussion on Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by davevabch Or hide, You can only do the honorable final act. Yeah, pennsy and A. Hamilton!...

View Poll Results: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The LCP II's action can be locked by choice; the gun is safe to carry

2 9.52%
  • The LCP II's action can be locked by choice; the gun is NOT safe to carry

0 0%
  • The LCP II's action can NOT be locked by choice; the gun is safe to carry

9 42.86%
  • The LCP II's action can NOT be locked by choice; the gun is NOT safe to carry

5 23.81%
  • I haven't made up my mind

5 23.81%
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Or hide, You can only do the honorable final act.
    Yeah, pennsy and A. Hamilton!
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

2. #42 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    I every day carry a LCP II or Glock 43. 95% of the time I use a IWB holster, and if concealment requirements dictate...I will pocket carry the LCP II in the holster Ruger provided with the weapon. I always carry with a round in the chamber (I will post a link to a good video below that I think illustrates why that is imperative for me). Personal choice I know, but it literally could be a life or death decision. I would not use not carrying a round in the LCP II as a mitigation for the lack of manual safety and lighter trigger pull. For the record, even though I do EDC with the LCP II and Glock 43 I think the "trigger safety" feature both advertise is a bit of a stretch. That is like putting a "safety" on your accelerator pedal of you car...you press down on the accelerater you are going to speed up regardless if there is a "safety switch" in front of the pedal.

So, I'm comfortable carrying these style weapons because I train constantly and I practice the rules of gun safety religiously. When holstering my weapon, or if I had to draw my weapon for any reason, I do or will not try win any speed records getting the weapon in or back in the holster.

Here's the link to the video I mentioned. Good demonstration of why I carry with a round in the chamber. Regardless of your thoughts on the LCP II, manual safeties, and single action/light trigger pulls...I would agree that carrying without a round in the chamber significantly decreases your ability to defend yourself in a defensive gun use situation when somebody rushes at you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7hgo02P-4
    Last edited by Nukes; 03-19-2017 at 05:11 PM.

3. #43 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nukes View Post
    That is like putting a "safety" on your accelerator pedal of you car...you press down on the accelerater you are going to speed up regardless if there is a "safety switch" in front of the pedal.
    An interesting analogy, Nukes....Thanks for the thought.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #44 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    ETS
    Denny Posted a great training video, of how fast someone can rush you. Now think how fast someone can draw down. In real life there is very little time. Don't you think it would be prudent to practice drawing on a regular basis? What does the FBI say? 3 seconds. Seriously what do you have to loose by Practicing drawing quickly?
    Have thought of that video a lot-very impressive how little time one has. Have practiced a lot because of that strip. Don't think I said anything to imply not practicing drawing quickly as possible, if so, certainly did not mean to do so.
    davevabch and mr.mike1407 like this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free

6. #45 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    To see how little time you have in a bad situation you can look up some training videos. If you search "the 21 foot drill" or as it was originally known "Tueller Dill". These videos demonstrate an aggressor advancing from 21 ft.
    davevabch and rayzer007 like this.

7. #46 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ETS View Post
    OK, but in my reality, have been gone from home for almost 72hrs. and, even after returning home, LCP will not be unholstered 'til going to the range or time for cleaning. Yes, I may be tempted to play with somethings, but not my firearms.
    Yes indeed .
    ETS likes this.

8. #47 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    All the talk of fast draws makes me laugh. This is not the wild, wild west. Cops need to worry about fast draws. Civilians need to concern themselves with concealed carry .Keep your skinny jeans home and alls good.I know I'm going to get killed over this but I think we are all a bit paranoid.Fast draw is something invented by self proclaimed internet instructors.Unless you are living somewhere really dangerous,in which case I would move if it was that bad,speed is not my first concern. Ok, let me take cover now.
    What I would have posted only stated much better.

9. #48 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ETS View Post
    Have thought of that video a lot-very impressive how little time one has. Have practiced a lot because of that strip. Don't think I said anything to imply not practicing drawing quickly as possible, if so, certainly did not mean to do so.
    I am surprised you old folks have not heard " Fast is slow , Smooth is fast.
    Don't know how fast I am but I do know that after or even if you get the gun out you must be able to hit with it.
    Have you ever tried to out draw the guy in the mirror ?
    There was a shoot out here involving 3 men ( I don't know how they knew that ) these three men shot 42 times & only one man was hit, he was grazed on his ear.
    Last edited by mr.mike1407; 03-19-2017 at 09:15 PM.

10. #49 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    I vote none of the above cause the person taking the poll has never & does not ever plan on shooting a LCP II but for what ever reason only wants to promote that it is a unsafe gun. Again , again there is no such thing as a safe gun.
    ETS likes this.

11. #50 Re: Poll: Is the LCP II a safe gun to carry? 
    This quote from a real gun expert should be a sticky.
    +1. I've also advocated that Skip's "opinion" should be a sticky:

LCP II accidental discharge???

By the way, the results of the poll so far come as no surprise to me. I figured most folks would recognize that it is mechanically impossible to lock the action on an LCP II by choice and that those who own an LCP II would say it's OK to carry one while those who don't would say it's not OK to carry one. Mostly I just wanted to make sure people understood Skip's point that the Ruger LCP II has no safety or safeties that "lock" the action by choice so that if a round is in the chamber, the trigger can be pulled and the pistol fired. I'd also invite people who voted that the LCP II's trigger lever safety can be locked by choice to please explain precisely how that can be done. I'm more concerned that those folks might base a purchase decision on a misconception concerning the gun's safety features than I am folks who realize that the LCP II's trigger lever safety is more for show than for go and carry an LCP II anyway.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the time has come for folks like you and me to recognize that, while the shooter has always been the party primarily responsible for handling his or her firearms safely, manufacturers no longer feel that they're required to provide significant safety features in their products. The Glock pistol created a sea change in their thinking in that regard and as others have said, that thinking isn't likely to change anytime soon. So we can continue to rail against the lack of proper safety features in guns like the LCP II and yell at the top of our lungs that those who refuse to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it, but our exhortations will fall largely on deaf ears. A few folks may pay attention to what we have to say, but most won't. And some unfortunately will have to discover the hard way why manual safeties, DA/SA pistols and DAO pistols were created in the first place.
    Last edited by bld522; 03-20-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup (Range Fun)
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire (Plinker)
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP (Primary Carry)
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P (SHTF Backup)
    Remington 870, 12 Gauge (Primary Home Defense)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads