IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable?

IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable?

This is a discussion on IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I should say uncomfortable while sitting. Standing up it's no problem, the lcp disappeares. I picked a super small gun so I kinda feel like ...

Like Tree40Likes

Thread: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    I should say uncomfortable while sitting. Standing up it's no problem, the lcp disappeares. I picked a super small gun so I kinda feel like a hero complaining at all, it's just I've tried every position Iwb and when I'm sitting, it digs in my belly or my side. I don't wear big baggy clothes and I don't plan to. The only 100% comfortable way to carry is in the back pocket but that has some disadvantages. The only holsters I have are the pocket holster that came with the lcp, an aiwb Kydex holster I got from ebay and a wallet holster. Do quality holsters really make that much of a difference as far as digging while sitting? I really don't see how people carry 45's all day Iwb....
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

2. #2 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    I regularly carry my S&W 9MM Shield IWB at the four oclock position on my right hip in a kydex Multi Holsters brand holster without any issues. I really don't even know it is there most of the time. Sitting, I notice it a bit more, but it's not bad at all. Try it at the 4 oclock position and see how that goes. And yes, a quality holster can make all the difference in the world.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

3. #3 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    Some body types are not conducive to IWB carry. Usually, it is recommended to have pants 2 sizes larger. I'm not a particularly big fan of IWB carry either, although with loose fitting pants, it is acceptable. When you get into larger caliber guns, it's just not going to work w/o a compromise to larger size pants than you normally wear. The Remora full sweatshield holster can improve the comfort, but you really need the extra room for that style carry. I can carry my Combat Commander in a Remora full sweat shield IWB, but if I'm not carrying the gun, I need suspenders for the slacks! I actually bought them with that carry setup in mind.

It is not unusual for a serious, dedicated carrier to buy clothing with the gun carrying setup in mind. You've got to decide what the priority is - style/fashion/fit, or the weapon - and make adjustments around that choice. Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too!

I may not dress like the cover of Gentleman's Quarterly, but those guys aren't carrying .45's either.

As Clint Smith says, "Carrying a weapon is not always comfortable, it's comforting."
    Last edited by rayzer007; 03-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
    I regularly carry my S&W 9MM Shield IWB at the four oclock position on my right hip in a kydex Multi Holsters brand holster without any issues. I really don't even know it is there most of the time. Sitting, I notice it a bit more, but it's not bad at all. Try it at the 4 oclock position and see how that goes. And yes, a quality holster can make all the difference in the world.
    I agree. I carry IWB at the 4 o'clock position as well. For max comfort I usually wear an underarmour type base shirt, a crossbreed mini-tuck IWB holster, with an loose outer garment. The crossbreed "pancake" style holster does a great job of spreading out the weight of the firearm. I have a crossbreed for my Glocks, and a concealment express IWB kydex holster for my LCP II.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/MiniTuck

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/c...nt=34320246531

6. #5 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejonl View Post
    The only 100% comfortable way to carry is in the back pocket but that has some disadvantages.
    What disadvantages are those, Thejonl? Reason I ask is because I've tried a bunch of different carry positions with my LCP and I keep returning to back pocket carry for the very reason you mentioned . . . it's 100% comfortable. It's also concealable enough for me in my Nemesis holster.
    Rainsong likes this.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup (Range Fun)
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire (Plinker)
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP (Primary Carry)
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P (SHTF Backup)
    Remington 870, 12 Gauge (Primary Home Defense)

7. #6 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    It appears you are carrying appendix carry or close to it. It is comfortable while standing but sitting usually/most often jabs many people just as you described. I'm guessing the holster has no cant so with the straight drop it likely jabs you in the leg even more. IMO, Kydex is not very forgiving as it is hard plastic. Of course I'm biased as a leather holster maker.

I carry most everything I own IWB, other than my Seecamp which is always pocket carried. I often carry an LC9 or XDS .45 IWB and can conceal fairly easy with a loose fitting shirt. I even carry my 1911 and a Springfield .45 compact IWB, not as often and they require a little bigger loose shirt because of the larger grips. But forward cant helps allot.

I might suggest looking for a single clip leather holster with some forward cant. You should be able to wear any where from about 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock pretty easy. I like 3 o'clock but would say most people don't like it there and I would say the 4-4:30 position is the most common.

Good luck to you! The most important thing is that you find something that works and you carry 100% of the time.
    Last edited by lws380; 03-17-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

8. #7 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    What disadvantages are those, Thejonl? Reason I ask is because I've tried a bunch of different carry positions with my LCP and I keep returning to back pocket carry for the very reason you mentioned . . . it's 100% comfortable. It's also concealable enough for me in my Nemesis holster.
    Access while sitting and driving for one. Back pocket easier to access than front pocket while driving or sitting. Front pocket quick access is very difficult and slow when driving or sitting. Secondly, I hear lots of comments that the LCP will show at the top of the pocket. It depends on the person and the depth of a pocket. It usually does not stick out of the pocket. Biggest complaint I hear is that it comes to the top of the pocket and the holster and gun thickness makes the pocket bulge and the back of the grip can be seen. That can be fixed too with a holster that covers over the back of the gun. That coverage over the gun will slow down access and draw just a little, not much but some. Front pocket typically not a problem to conceal, but you should consider the access while seated or driving.
    mr.mike1407 likes this.

9. #8 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    I agree, it's the most comfortable. I guess it's hard to get my hand in my back pocket quickly when compared to the other methods, and the top of the gun sticks out a little bit, not much but u can tell what it is

10. #9 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    ETS
    Admittedly IWB concealed carry seems to be a personal decision, especially regarding comfort. In my case, I've found that using a true gunbelt has improved several of my holsters. Be advised, a true gun belt is as least 1.5" wide and reinforced. This improvement has been apparent even with the small guns that I carry. In the case of wearing slacks with narrower belt loops, I wear the heaviest belt they will accommodate.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

11. #10 re: IWB - do I just need to get used to being uncomfortable? 
    I don't agree that a gun belt needs to be 1.5 wide. I think in many occasions a 1.25 belt is fine and it will fit in more belt loops than a 1.5. IMO the most important thing is to get a double layer belt that is glued and stitched. 1 double layer belt 1.25 inches wide, glued and stitched will do an excellent job for many of the console carry guns on the market. A 1.25 inch works fine for me carrying most of the guns I carry. I do agree that a 1.5 belt is more beneficial if you are carrying larger guns. The good thing is that both are out there, so you have choices. Pick the best one for you. YMMV

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads