Frame pin walking out - Page 7

Frame pin walking out

This is a discussion on Frame pin walking out within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by louchia I have read that the pins are tapered and should be removed from the right side and then installed from the ...

Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Frame pin walking out

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Quote Originally Posted by louchia View Post
    I have read that the pins are tapered and should be removed from the right side and then installed from the left. Be sure to ask about that.
    I see in your avatar that you have the Hogue Grips. Me too. The pins are definitely tapered. The replacement pin that comes with the Hogue is even more obviously tapered than the factory pin. I also saw in a video that out from right, in from left is the right way to go.

2. #62 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Slight change to this, once I got the pistol back and read the work order, I saw they had replaced the trigger pivot pin, and the slide lock spring!? (Haven't got a chance to get to the range yet with it). I was thinking, why that spring?? It was locking back fine, and the reason I sent it in was for the takedown pin issue!

So...made a call to Ruger, and talked to the tech who worked on it. Who explained, on the newer LCP II, that spring also works as a detent spring to keep the pin in place, unlike the earlier models! (The pivot pin was called a "service upgrade). And he said he felt that spring needed replacement.

So, I guess I learned something new today, and just have to wait to get out to the range again to see how she runs.

3. #63 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Received the frame insert pins from Ruger today . They are to be removed right to left and installed left to right . One side of pin in about 1 mm larger in diameter than the other . I will shoot it soon and see if it stays in now . Let you know .
    I have shot a couple mags since installing the rear frame insert pin . No sign that the new one is walking out . Must have been a bad pin from the factory .

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #64 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Sounds good to go!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

6. #65 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    While Rugers customer service may be great, I'm beginning to think that the quality control sucks! A defensive handgun should work out of the box EVERY TIME!!!!(GLOCKS)

I have 2 friends who both have had to return their LCP 11's for feeding issues. Pins walking out, failure to feeds, etc. in a defensive carry handgun is totally unacceptable!!! In a range (target) gun, this would be no big deal. I have a Beretta 950 .25 cal that I used to carry many moons ago as a BUG in law enforcement and it never failed, and I never heard of one being returned either.

SHAME ON RUGER, there are no excuses for this poor workmanship in my opinion!

7. #66 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Quote Originally Posted by mtkfish View Post
    While Rugers customer service may be great, I'm beginning to think that the quality control sucks! A defensive handgun should work out of the box EVERY TIME!!!!(GLOCKS)

I have 2 friends who both have had to return their LCP 11's for feeding issues. Pins walking out, failure to feeds, etc. in a defensive carry handgun is totally unacceptable!!! In a range (target) gun, this would be no big deal. I have a Beretta 950 .25 cal that I used to carry many moons ago as a BUG in law enforcement and it never failed, and I never heard of one being returned either.

SHAME ON RUGER, there are no excuses for this poor workmanship in my opinion!
    I agree that a defensive carry gun should be totally reliable and I also agree that in an unknown number of cases, the LCP and LCP II have proven to be unreliable during practice sessions. And yet I've never heard of anyone dying or being injured as the result of an attack because their LCP/LCP II failed to protect them. I suspect that may have happened, but I just can't find any evidence of it anywhere. If someone can produce evidence that a person was injured or lost their life because their LCP/LCP II failed in a life-or-death situation, I'd love to see it.
    Last edited by bld522; 05-15-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    Self-defense Rule #1: Time is of the essence!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

8. #67 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    It is very hard to know what actually is happening around us , even in this information age we live in .

9. #68 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    True that. So what we have to go on are two facts as I'm able to discern them. Fact one according to the NRA is that more than 1,500,000 LCPs have been sold since their introduction in 2008. Fact two is that we have less than 100 reported instances that LCPs and LCP IIs have failed for some reason or the other (i.e., cracked frames, takedown pins walking out, failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract/eject, etc.). In the information age, folks don't seem to be averse to expressing their dismay for a product that doesn't perform as well as expected. And yet when it comes to a product people buy to protect themselves, we see remarkably little dismay expressed about the product's performance when compared to the number of units that have been sold. I'm not sure what folks want to make of that, but the available date seems pretty compelling to me.

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

10. #69 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    No regulatory agency keeping track of reported problems ( thankfully) such as with cars . Just wondering where your figure of 100 failures comes from ?

11. #70 Re: Frame pin walking out 
    Anecdotal. Research it yourself and see if you can come up with more complaints about the LCP/LCP II than I have. I'd suggest you begin with YouTube, the various Ruger forums on the Internet, and media coverage. That's where my information comes from. And for what it's worth, I wasn't even able to come up with 100 published complaints. That number includes a generous margin for error. But even if we shoot the moon and increase that number ten times to 1,000 complaints, we're talking about less than 1/10th of 1% of all LCPs sold since 2008. I mean do the math. You'd need to find 15,000 complaints to get the complaint rate up to a measly 1% of all LCPs sold.

Facts be damned. Perception is everything.
    Last edited by bld522; 05-15-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads