Problem inserting takedown pin

Problem inserting takedown pin

This is a discussion on Problem inserting takedown pin within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Every time I have to install the take down pin. I don't know what the trick is to push the spring down enough to get ...

Thread: Problem inserting takedown pin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Every time I have to install the take down pin. I don't know what the trick is to push the spring down enough to get the pin past the spring. I eventually do it but it's got to be easier than what I go through. Tonight I finally gave up trying to insert the pin with the slide on the frame, removed the slide and fiddled with the pin until I got it past the spring and then slipped on the frame and pushed the pin in place. Any secrets as to how to do this with less drama?
    Last edited by SkipD; 02-19-2017 at 03:30 AM.

2. #2 re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    w
    I don't know why you are having so much of a problem with that operation which has always been very easy for me. Just push the slide back very slightly. Look in the hole where the pin goes and you can see when you have it lined up right, just a slight backwards push on the slide does it. Then hold the slide in that position and the pin should go in with just a little push of your fingers. Just maneuver the pin in until it is all the way in and then release the slide. It shouldn't be any problem at all. It's not like putting back together a Ruger Mk III or something - Aargh! That one gives me nightmares! PS Don't oil the pin.
    Last edited by SkipD; 02-19-2017 at 03:30 AM.

3. #3 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Bowzette, the manual states just about exactly what was described by "W". There's an easy way to push the slide back the 1/4 inch or so that's needed to provide clearance for the takedown pin installation. Hopefully this description will make sense and maybe somebody can find a video showing the procedure.

With the slide in battery, the takedown pin is held rather tightly. To remove the takedown pin AND to install the takedown pin, the slide needs to be pushed back about 1/4 inch and held there while you remove or install the takedown pin.

An easy way that I use to push and hold the slide back with one hand (my left hand) is:
    • MAKE SURE THE PISTOL IS CLEAR OF ANY AMMUNITION
    • With the right hand, hold the LCP as if you are going to shoot it and point the muzzle to the left.
    • Insert the left forefinger through the trigger guard from the opposite side (the pistol's right side) and wrap it around the trigger guard towards you.
    • Put your left thumb on the muzzle of the barrel.
    • You may want to use one of your extra left-hand fingers under the LCP's grip so you can easily hold the LCP and push the slide all with the left hand.
    • Now, you can remove your right hand from the LCP and completely support the LCP with your left hand.
    • Apply pressure with the left thumb to move the slide rearward about 1/4 inch while holding the frame with the finger that's through the trigger guard.

While holding the LCP in this way with the left hand (with the slide to the rear 1/4"), you can either remove or reinstall the takedown pin.

ADDITIONAL: "W" suggested avoiding lubrication of the takedown pin. This, in my opinion, is wrong. The takedown pin should be lubricated because it slides against the barrel locking system under significant pressure and also the takedown pin should be able to rotate within the frame if it needs to. Thus, the entire length of the takedown pin should be lubricated with a high quality firearms oil such as the Slip 2000 that I use.
    Skip Douglas

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Thanks, Skip. I had heard that the takedown pin was supposed to be lubricated. I was about to ask if that was the case after reading w's post but I'm sure you're right. The pin should be lubricated.

6. #5 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    For the life of me, I cannot insert that pin - being naturally left-handed. I have never succeeded doing so. But whenever I try (off) right-handed, it goes in without struggle.

Is that bizarre - or what?

7. #6 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Thanks. I know it isn't difficult-except for me! Maybe I haven't been moving the slide sufficiently. I do lightly lube the pin.

8. #7 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    This is what wives are for, bowzette. Threading needles for millennia has given them a leg up on the male of the species. If you've got one, let her give it a try . . . especially if she's right-handed.

9. #8 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    ADDITIONAL: "W" suggested avoiding lubrication of the takedown pin. This, in my opinion, is wrong. The takedown pin should be lubricated because it slides against the barrel locking system under significant pressure and also the takedown pin should be able to rotate within the frame if it needs to. Thus, the entire length of the takedown pin should be lubricated with a high quality firearms oil such as the Slip 2000 that I use.

Well, I never lubricate the pin and I never had any problem with it such as I see others having, like it working its way out on its own.

10. #9 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    This is what wives are for, bowzette. Threading needles for millennia has given them a leg up on the male of the species. If you've got one, let her give it a try . . . especially if she's right-handed.
    bld522 I get in plenty of trouble on my own-don't need any help But you are correct. She would lip it in without a problem and give me the wife of "Tim the Tool Man" look.

11. #10 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by w View Post
    Well, I never lubricate the pin and I never had any problem with it such as I see others having, like it working its way out on its own.
    I lubricate the takedown pin in my LCP and it's never walked out of place to the best of my recollection.

I want my takedown pin to do its job without wearing out thus I lubricate it. The pin should be able to rotate in its mounting holes and I don't want the contact with the barrel's lockup ramp to wear or damage the pin either.
    Skip Douglas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads