Problem inserting takedown pin - Page 2

Problem inserting takedown pin

This is a discussion on Problem inserting takedown pin within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by SkipD I lubricate the takedown pin in my LCP and it's never walked out of place to the best of my recollection. ...

Thread: Problem inserting takedown pin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    I lubricate the takedown pin in my LCP and it's never walked out of place to the best of my recollection.
    Any ideas on why some have that problem? Were some defective? I don't think the instruction manual shows the takedown pin as a lube point.

2. #12 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by w View Post
    Any ideas on why some have that problem? Were some defective? I don't think the instruction manual shows the takedown pin as a lube point.
    Sometimes the hairpin spring that holds the takedown pin in place (by forcing itself into the groove near the left end of the pin) breaks or isn't strong enough to hold the pin in place under the rather violent recoil. There may also be some slight mis-location of the holes in the frame & sub-frame in a few pistols that could contribute to the situation. I don't have any feedback from Ruger about this, but my ideas are based on reports of the situation I've read in forums like this one and a bit of studying about how the LCP is designed.
    Skip Douglas

3. #13 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    bld522 I get in plenty of trouble on my own-don't need any help But you are correct. She would lip it in without a problem and give me the wife of "Tim the Tool Man" look.
    Ah, well that's what division of labor is all about. My wife is much more mechanical than I am. So she wears the tool belt. I, on the other hand, am much better than she is with electronics. So I maintain the computers, A/V equipment, etc. It's still working after 42 years of marriage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    I too find it to be the only PITA part of taking down and cleaning the LCP. It's just never a completely smooth part of the process. One thing that seems to help is I try starting mine in at about a 30 degree angle up and wiggle it until it starts to slide in. At some point it practically falls in. I wipe mine with Remoil. It's always dirty and it's left fairly lubed when inserted. 900 rounds, it's never 'walked' out at all that I can recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. #15 Re: Problem inserting takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    Sometimes the hairpin spring that holds the takedown pin in place (by forcing itself into the groove near the left end of the pin) breaks or isn't strong enough to hold the pin in place under the rather violent recoil. There may also be some slight mis-location of the holes in the frame & sub-frame in a few pistols that could contribute to the situation. I don't have any feedback from Ruger about this, but my ideas are based on reports of the situation I've read in forums like this one and a bit of studying about how the LCP is designed.
    Skip, I think you are exactly right. I have had 2 LCP replaced by Ruger because of take down pins. From what I've seen and heard from Ruger, the problem is either the spring or something out of spec, eg. the holes not properly lining up. As a result, the stress on the pin causes one of the holes to become out of round and the pin wobbles and moves out. Typically, the hole on the right side will begin to show signs of wear or even a bur. The frame insert is aluminum and the pin is steel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads