What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo?

What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; MTBF/MTTF (Mean Time Between Failure/Mean Time to Failure) is a standard measurement for determining when something with a moving part is likely to fail. Computer ...

View Poll Results: What is the MTBF for the LCP with Standard Factory Ammo?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 100 Rounds

1 6.67%
  • 101 - 250 Rounds

3 20.00%
  • 251 - 500 Rounds

0 0%
  • 501 - 1,000 Rounds

3 20.00%
  • 1,001 - 2,000 Rounds

4 26.67%
  • 2,001 - 3,000 Rounds

1 6.67%
  • 3,001 - 4,000 Rounds

2 13.33%
  • Greater than 4,000 Rounds

1 6.67%
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    MTBF/MTTF (Mean Time Between Failure/Mean Time to Failure) is a standard measurement for determining when something with a moving part is likely to fail. Computer hard drives, for example, are rated in terms of MTBF. A gun obviously has moving parts. So it should also be rated in terms of MTBF. Unfortunately, the only people that are likely to know the actual MTBF for the LCP are the engineers that designed it and I don't expect that information to ever be made public. So all we have to go on is anecdotal evidence.

I've heard of some LCPs failing almost immediately after being taken out of the box and others lasting for thousands upon thousands of rounds. So if someone were to put a gun to your head (figuratively speaking of course), how many rounds of STANDARD VELOCITY FACTORY AMMO would you guess it takes on average before an LCP needs to be repaired/replaced. For purposes of this poll, let's assume you're cleaning and maintaining your LCP regularly. Let's also assume that anything out of the ordinary constitutes a failure. So, for example, a takedown pin backing out of your LCP would be a failure even if you catch it in time to prevent the pistol from malfunctioning and you reinstall it yourself.

PS: I expressly want to invite folks with AND WITHOUT hands-on experience to vote in this poll. Even if folks have only read about failures and not experienced failures themselves, they still have to make decisions with respect to how long they should expect their LCPs to last. And again, anecdotal evidence only goes so far.
    Last edited by bld522; 02-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.

2. #2 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Yes. I understand some folks take what others would consider to be extraordinary measures in maintaining their LCPs. Not everyone will replace guide rods, springs and takedown pins at regular intervals. But I, for one, intend to follow your example. After all, for the miniscule price of those parts, what could it hurt? And the nice thing is, they're genuine Ruger parts!
    bowzette and RVER like this.

3. #3 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Lol, I bet the average owner of a LCP does not even know they can or should be replaced. The Parts themselves are relatively cheap. Cheap insurance for a CCW.
    You can add me to the list. I had no idea those parts were available until you made me aware of it.

I'm telling you, Dave, even though we don't always agree on everything, you've been indispensable to me. Don't let this go to your head, but your input alone has been worth the price of admission to the Elsie Pea forum for me. And I follow your lead far more often than not. :-)

Oh wait! I forgot. It didn't cost me anything to join the Elsie Pea forum. Don't worry though. You're worth it anyway!
    Last edited by bld522; 02-16-2017 at 11:49 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Will do. By the way, I'll share a little story with you. Back in the day, I owned a bunch of handguns . . . one of which was a S&W Model 29 with a 4" barrel. I absolutely loved to shoot .44 Specials out of that big old N-frame. It shot as easy as .38 Specials out of a K-frame. But every once in awhile, I'd have a buddy of mine make up some .44 Magnum bear loads. His load would shoot a foot-long flame out of my 4-inch Model 29 and scare the living bejeezes out of everybody on the line. Now I can't imagine that an LCP would have the same kind of kick and muzzle flash with standard loads as my Model 29 had. But if it does, I'll have the time of my life with it.
    davevabch and RICHGCOOP like this.

6. #5 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    Will do. By the way, I'll share a little story with you. Back in the day, I owned a bunch of handguns . . . one of which was a S&W Model 29 with a 4" barrel. I absolutely loved to shoot .44 Specials out of that big old N-frame. It shot as easy as .38 Specials out of a K-frame. But every once in awhile, I'd have a buddy of mine make up some .44 Magnum bear loads. His load would shoot a foot-long flame out of my 4-inch Model 29 and scare the living bejeezes out of everybody on the line. Now I can't imagine that an LCP would have the same kind of kick and muzzle flash with standard loads as my Model 29 had. But if it does, I'll have the time of my life with it.
    There is a thread on another forum about words from the past. You just reminded me of one: bejeezes.

7. #6 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Words from the past, you say? I love oxymorons, puns, double entendres and the like. Shoot me a PM with a link to that thread when you have a moment and I'll check it out. :-)

8. #7 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    I voted 0-100 rounds to match the mood of this board lately. I'm not sure what's up, did Ruger run a batch of bad guns or is there some hurt feelings? but the negativity has peaked with a few leading the charge.
    An LCP is my CC (constant Companion)

9. #8 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    No, I don't think Ruger ran a batch of bad guns nor do I think anybody's feelings got hurt. I just think some people set too high expectations on how durable a .380 ACP pistol that only weighs 10 ounces ought to be and when the pistol didn't live up to their expectations, came away with a bad taste in their mouths. It happens.
    Last edited by bld522; 02-23-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    davevabch likes this.

10. #9 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    boo
    A take down pin backing out is a failure, if it was installed correctly to begin with.

11. #10 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    A take down pin backing out is a failure, if it was installed correctly to begin with.
    Excuse me Mr. bad guy ,could you please help me look for my slide and pin.Time out.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads