What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? - Page 5

What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; bld522, I hear you and I think your thoughts on not needing to fire the LCP more often are valid. I'm now very comfortable carrying ...

View Poll Results: What is the MTBF for the LCP with Standard Factory Ammo?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 100 Rounds

1 6.67%
  • 101 - 250 Rounds

3 20.00%
  • 251 - 500 Rounds

0 0%
  • 501 - 1,000 Rounds

3 20.00%
  • 1,001 - 2,000 Rounds

4 26.67%
  • 2,001 - 3,000 Rounds

1 6.67%
  • 3,001 - 4,000 Rounds

2 13.33%
  • Greater than 4,000 Rounds

1 6.67%
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    bld522, I hear you and I think your thoughts on not needing to fire the LCP more often are valid. I'm now very comfortable carrying this little thing for SD. The twist is... it's fun to shoot - more of a challenge than my larger pistols (not that I've mastered them) but you know what I mean. Just shy of 1,200 rounds in a few months and I haven't had any problems. Based on the user survey, I'm already near the top of the bell-curve of expected rounds and can easily see getting several thousand rounds from this gun. I may be naive because I'm new to this small platform but I'm having fun putting it through its paces and getting better with it. I haven't seen anything to suggest I should be anything other than 100% confident carrying this pistol (other than it's caliber which is a whole different topic). I will probably not keep up the same pace of rounds per month just because it's about 50% more expensive per round than 9mm. On the other hand, my expectations are that this LCP Custom should be solid for many thousands of rounds. If I have a problem, I know Ruger will stand behind it and heck it also happens to be the least expensive gun I own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. #42 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    I hear you, Joe. You certainly aren't the first person to successfully put many thousands of rounds through an LCP. If you enjoy shooting it, don't let me stop you! :-)
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

3. #43 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Haha thanks. I don't think anyone can talk me out of having fun. I'm came very late to the LCP community. Once I fired one, I got pretty enthusiastic about it. The survey for MTBF perplexed me as to why a group of people are so pessimistic about their common interest. All indications so far (my experience) is that despite its limitations and diminutive build, the LCP is a pretty solid little handgun. It's been more reliable than my Glock 17 despite what 'everyone' would have you believe. It's a blast to shoot and a challenge to shoot well. Because it leaves no excuse to not carry every waking hour of every day, I'm really happy with it. And... I'll say it again, it's the least expensive gun I own. I'm happy I joined the club.

ETS and bld522 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #44 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenaper View Post
    Haha thanks. I don't think anyone can talk me out of having fun. I'm came very late to the LCP community. Once I fired one, I got pretty enthusiastic about it. The survey for MTBF perplexed me as to why a group of people are so pessimistic about their common interest. All indications so far (my experience) is that despite its limitations and diminutive build, the LCP is a pretty solid little handgun. It's been more reliable than my Glock 17 despite what 'everyone' would have you believe. It's a blast to shoot and a challenge to shoot well. Because it leaves no excuse to not carry every waking hour of every day, I'm really happy with it. And... I'll say it again, it's the least expensive gun I own. I'm happy I joined the club.

That's it in a nut shell for me too,Joe.
    rayzer007 likes this.

6. #45 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    I know I said I was going to slow down on the round count but addiction is a funny thing. I believe I crossed the 1,500 round milestone this weekend - I believe 1,530 but I was having so much fun and tossing ammo boxes that truth be told, the round count is 1,530 plus or minus 50. So my round counts from this point forward are going to have to be +/- 50 since I'm not completely sure how many rounds i fired this weekend. There goes the scientific credibility of this study - oh well.

So my official LCP Custom update:
    1,530 rounds (+/- 50) thus far - 150 JHP defensive rounds and the balance assorted brands of FMJ
    9 cleanings with RemOil only
    Inner and Outer recoil springs and TD pin changed at 1,180 rounds (factory parts)
    Holding at exactly 1 failure - an FTE at around the 4th or 5th magazine on first trip to range - NONE since!

I can't say that I could tell the difference from the 'weakened' springs and the new 'stiffer' springs - performance or even racking the slide. Things just worked and felt like they did before the change out.

My wife's LCP Gen 2 (not LCP II) now has 620 rounds. She's had 3 FTEs and one FTF. I suspect limp wristing and general pilot error. She's relatively new to shooting.

I'll try to not co-opt and own this thread going forward. I'm still in what I consider a honeymoon period with the LCP. I'll hold off until at least 2,000 or 2,500 rounds for a next update or if something breaks sooner. I can also add that I did some back-to-back alternating between my LCP Custom and LC9s this weekend and can confirm that at anything 10 yards or less, I am now just as accurate if not more so with the LCP. Beyond 10 yards is a whole other story. It's probably the number of rounds I'm pumping through the LCP that is making the difference. I haven't been shooting my LC9s nearly as much lately. I also cranked out 100 rounds in my SR9c and can reconfirm, it's still my best shooting handgun.

7. #46 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenaper View Post
    I know I said I was going to slow down on the round count but addiction is a funny thing. I believe I crossed the 1,500 round milestone this weekend - I believe 1,530 but I was having so much fun and tossing ammo boxes that truth be told, the round count is 1,530 plus or minus 50. So my round counts from this point forward are going to have to be +/- 50 since I'm not completely sure how many rounds i fired this weekend. There goes the scientific credibility of this study - oh well.

So my official LCP Custom update:
    1,530 rounds (+/- 50) thus far - 150 JHP defensive rounds and the balance assorted brands of FMJ
    9 cleanings with RemOil only
    Inner and Outer recoil springs and TD pin changed at 1,180 rounds (factory parts)
    Holding at exactly 1 failure - an FTE at around the 4th or 5th magazine on first trip to range - NONE since!

I can't say that I could tell the difference from the 'weakened' springs and the new 'stiffer' springs - performance or even racking the slide. Things just worked and felt like they did before the change out.

My wife's LCP Gen 2 (not LCP II) now has 620 rounds. She's had 3 FTEs and one FTF. I suspect limp wristing and general pilot error. She's relatively new to shooting.

I'll try to not co-opt and own this thread going forward. I'm still in what I consider a honeymoon period with the LCP. I'll hold off until at least 2,000 or 2,500 rounds for a next update or if something breaks sooner. I can also add that I did some back-to-back alternating between my LCP Custom and LC9s this weekend and can confirm that at anything 10 yards or less, I am now just as accurate if not more so with the LCP. Beyond 10 yards is a whole other story. It's probably the number of rounds I'm pumping through the LCP that is making the difference. I haven't been shooting my LC9s nearly as much lately. I also cranked out 100 rounds in my SR9c and can reconfirm, it's still my best shooting handgun.
    Thanks for that report. We were just talking about the SR9c . How many lb. trigger pull would you say it is? Hickok was saying it was real lite.

8. #47 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    [QUOTE=. I also cranked out 100 rounds in my SR9c and can reconfirm, it's still my best shooting handgun.[/QUOTE]

Have to really agree with that statement. I don't think there is a ammo out there that mine does not like. If the Liberals or other Zombies do try to take over, this will be my go to pistol. Between my Mossberg tactical 20 gauge and my SR9C, they will do some serious damage.
    Joenaper likes this.

9. #48 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Have to really agree with that statement. I don't think there is a ammo out there that mine does not like. If the Liberals or other Zombies do try to take over, this will be my go to pistol. Between my Mossberg tactical 20 gauge and my SR9C, they will do some serious damage.
    I did not know you had one. Is the trigger really that good?

10. #49 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Yes. Despite all my enthusiasm for the LCP Custom, hands down my SR9c is my most reliable, best shooting handgun. I really like my LC9s as well but it has become a tweener for me. I shoot the SR9c way better than the LC9s and even better than my full-sized nines including the 'legendary' Glock 17. I don't hate it; it's just not perfect for me like the SR9c.

11. #50 Re: What is the MTBF for the LCP with standard factory ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Thanks for that report. We were just talking about the SR9c . How many lb. trigger pull would you say it is? Hickok was saying it was real lite.
    I'd say 3.5#s. That's a guess - never measured. Super crisp too.
    pennsy likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads