Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Would issues you've had or heard about persuade you to stop carrying your LCP?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 93.6%
  • I haven't made up my mind

Votes: 0 0.0%

LCP carry poll

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  pennsy 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be interesting to see how many people who carry/carried an LCP have decided to stop carrying it due to issues they've had with it or issues they've seen or heard about such as cracked frames, takedown pin failures, etc. If you don't carry or have never carried an LCP, this poll doesn't apply to you.

PS: Pennsy started a related poll here:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/25410-lcp-failures.html#post294938

Check it out! :)

#5 ·
No. But now that I shot enough to know there are no issues and that it shoots SD ammo well I am reluctant to shoot it as often as I otherwise would. I actually like shooting it and will use self restraint at keeping the mileage down unless/until I get another one-one for carry and for range.

#6 · (Edited)
All right. With seven votes cast, we're unanimous so far. No one has decided to stop carrying their LCP either due to issues they've had with it or issues others have had with their LCPs. Seven out of seven votes isn't statistically significant, of course. But I think it represents the attitude most of us have about our Elsie Peas, to wit: If my LCP doesn't take my hand off, I'm going to keep carrying it. And if something goes wrong with it, I'll fix it or I'll have Ruger fix it. :thumbsup:

PS: I didn't put a time limit on this poll. It's here until a moderator closes it or it dies a natural death. So keep those votes coming! :)

#7 ·
Currently 9 for 9... My Gen1 has run great right out of the box. I must admit that I did a fluff and buff, cleaned, and cycled the action 3~400 times before putting any rounds through it. Okay, maybe not right out of the box but...

#8 · (Edited)
I use a kydex, IWB holster for my LCP II, always remove the holster before reholstering and never pocket carry. My first II "froze up" on its 26th round, Ruger replaced it and #2 is 100% reliable with all kinds of hp ammo after about 300 rounds and I don't even think about further failures or accidental discharges.

#12 ·
I have not seen any issues with my LCP II that makes me think it is unsafe.
I assume you've seen this from Uncle George:

LCP II WARNING

I present it to you not to change your mind about the LCP II's safety, but simply to give you another point of view. FYI, I don't have an LCP II and I'm not planning to buy one. So I don't have an axe to grind.

#11 ·
Problems with the LCP causes me concern. I will still carry my Custom at times but, yesterday I went out and bought a single stack 9mm Glock as my primary carry weapon. I have a lot of faith in Glocks.
I do love the size and shape of the LCP and hope mine never breaks. 2/14/17
boo

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
I do not have any problem with the LCP's as far as failures, go. In fact I find the LCP to be a reliable firearm, with no more problems or malfunctions than any other gun on the market. The Safety issue on the New LCP ll is a separate concern, one about safety and not reliability. I have enjoyed good luck with all my LCP's in reliability. (I will not own a LCP ll). I learned not to limp wrist these little guns, Change out recoil springs on a regular basis, I only carry 5 Plus one and I purchase new magazines on a regular basis. I really cannot remember when I have had a failure of any kind and this is after thousands of rounds. (withstanding just cheap ammo and even those are rare, ex. hard primer strikes etc)
How often are you replacing your recoil springs, and what springs do you typically use when you replace the Ruger springs?

#17 ·
I've had some problems with the LCP but at the same time feel confident in carrying it. I have had pins back out and frames crack. Never once did the gun stop working because a pin backed out until at least the 4th or 5th rnd.of a mag. Never once did it stop working because of a frame crack. Frame cracks were noticed after a range trip while cleaning. There fore I feel that if after cleaning and inspection, that all is OK, I will load , holster and carry. I know I am good for at least several rounds.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
I carry my Elsie everyday, pocket, IWB or strapped to my ankle. It's all in the way I feel the way I want to carry that day. :thumbup:

#21 ·
Ankle Carry---what rig do you use?

#25 ·
Purchased an LCP II today to eventually replace my four year old LCP. The old one still works great, but I was anxious to try out the new version. After I put 100 rounds through it, it'll probably move into my front pocket. I had considered going to the LC9, but I decided to stick with pocket carry as most practical for my retirement life style. New gun fits fine in my current leather pocket holster and removes any concerns re the light trigger.

I also picked up a spare magazine since my others are four plus years old. Need to find a cheaper source for mags as LGS was a bit pricey.

#30 · (Edited)
I carry my LCP at least 60-70% of the time now - whenever I'm not carrying my SR9c. I even carry it at home during the day. I bought it for pocket carry - something I could slip into my front pocket when running out to the store etc. I have however, found I mostly carry in a small IWB at 4:00 and forget it's there all day. Previously, I was rotating between my SR9c and my LC9s and not carrying every single day - all day. My Custom has enabled me to truly become an everyday carrier. I've mostly gotten away from pocket carry because of the limitations of draw. It's just so light, thin and overall small, there's no reason not to carry during every awaken hour of the day. I love this little pistol. I shoot mine a lot (1,000 rounds) and have only one FTE at about the third magazine when I got it. I'm likely to give my LC9s to my son. I don't carry it anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.