Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? - Page 2

Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II?

This is a discussion on Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Just an update: I picked up an LCP II today. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks good so far. I was having a weird ...

Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    Just an update:

I picked up an LCP II today. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks good so far. I was having a weird issue where the mag wouldn't insert more than about halfway at first. I was about to go back to the gun store, but after a few tries it was fine. Not sure what that was all about, but it goes in and out normally now. I will test it out soon, but I can already tell the trigger is better, and of course the sites, too. Hopefully, it's issue free!

Are there any "must have" accessories for this? My old LCP has the Hogue Hybrid grip, 13# Wolff springs and a stainless guide rod. I really like the Hogue grip, but do they make the hybrid model for this new LCP, or will the old version work?

2. #12 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    I thought the "gen" thing was some kind of Glock want-a-be kind of lingo. I never see it outside of a few forums.

As far as the OP's question, I really like my LCP II, I went to buy an LCP, glad I didn't.

Mine fits my hand better and the trigger is worlds better.

I like to shot mine now and again, so the trigger is a big deal for me. For some it won't matter.

I have made no changes to mine. I have a couple of holster options, but find myself using the pocket holster that
    came with it the most. Fits right in the back pocket of my jeans like a billfold.

3. #13 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    I love my Gen 2. This is not a Glock specific term. I had thought about getting the LCP II but have slightly bigger guns. I like how small the old one is for pocket or very discrete carry. Either way you can't go wrong with the Gen 2 or the LCP II.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang_Bang View Post
    Just an update:

I picked up an LCP II today. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks good so far. I was having a weird issue where the mag wouldn't insert more than about halfway at first. I was about to go back to the gun store, but after a few tries it was fine. Not sure what that was all about, but it goes in and out normally now. I will test it out soon, but I can already tell the trigger is better, and of course the sites, too. Hopefully, it's issue free!

Are there any "must have" accessories for this? My old LCP has the Hogue Hybrid grip, 13# Wolff springs and a stainless guide rod. I really like the Hogue grip, but do they make the hybrid model for this new LCP, or will the old version work?
    The Hogue Hybrid grip will fit the new LCP II but it is a tight fit....Picture and explanation of the grip on the Lcp II. LCP II first range report

It works for me
    NRA BENEFACTOR

6. #15 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    I have both the LCP Custom and the LCP II. After shooting both, the LCP II will hands down be my primary carry weapon when I need to carry a smaller weapon. For me, the adjustments Ruger made to the trigger on the LCP II allow me to be much more accurate than with the longer and harder pull on the LCP Custom trigger. It took me multiple trips to the range with the LCP Custom to get to where I was getting the consistent results I wanted for a primary carry gun. Both weapons will allow you to get a good grouping at the most likely target distance you would have in a personal defense situation, but again for me the LCP II was easier to shoot and much tighter groups was the norm. There is concern by some that the trigger on the LCP II is too light for a weapon that is primary a pocket pistol. For me the trigger is not sufficiently different from my Glock 43, and if you are carrying in a quality pocket holster (and the one that comes with the LCP II is very good) then the lighter trigger isn't really an issue. Ruger is no longer making the LCP Custom, so while there will most likely always be support and parts--I would recommend going with the LCP II--if nothing more than the high likelihood that they will be manufacturing this weapon for awhile and there will be more accessories and after-market options.
    saltair and hstrawn like this.

7. #16 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    I edited the thread title to represent the LCP II instead of "gen 2".

Did Ruger have to make the terminology so confusing? If someone hasn't been following all this very carefully it would be totally expected that they would confuse Gen 2 with Model 2. Was it some deliberate marketing ploy? Couldn't they have called it the LCP 3?

8. #17 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    Quote Originally Posted by w View Post
    Did Ruger have to make the terminology so confusing? If someone hasn't been following all this very carefully it would be totally expected that they would confuse Gen 2 with Model 2. Was it some deliberate marketing ploy? Couldn't they have called it the LCP 3?
    Ruger does not advertise any "Gen xx" type names for the LCP family. Ruger has assigned different model numbers (four-digit numbers beginning with 37 such as 3701) for different versions of the original LCP family. Users who communicate with each other about the LCP (such as folks in this forum) have created the "Gen 2" and other names to denote minor variations in design over the life of a pistol model such as the LCP.

The newest version of the LCP (the LCP II) is denoted with Roman Numerals for the "II", and that should make it quite different from anybody's "Gen 2" naming.
    Skip Douglas

9. #18 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    Ruger does not advertise any "Gen xx" type names for the LCP family. Ruger has assigned different model numbers (four-digit numbers beginning with 37 such as 3701) for different versions of the original LCP family. Users who communicate with each other about the LCP (such as folks in this forum) have created the "Gen 2" and other names to denote minor variations in design over the life of a pistol model such as the LCP.

The newest version of the LCP (the LCP II) is denoted with Roman Numerals for the "II", and that should make it quite different from anybody's "Gen 2" naming.
    Oh OK - but then it makes it impossible for anyone not familiar with serial numbers or subtle differences to distinguish what we are calling a Gen 1 from a Gen 2, say on the used gun market. So really I think this new one should be the LCP 3.
    Last edited by w; 01-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.

10. #19 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    Quote Originally Posted by w View Post
    Oh OK - but then it makes it impossible for anyone not familiar with serial numbers or subtle differences to distinguish what we are calling a Gen 1 from a Gen 2, say on the used gun market. So I think this new one should be the LCP 3.
    I'm pretty sure Ruger was aware of the Gen 1/Gen 2 designations used in the LCP community when it came time to naming the LCP II. And I'd be surprised if they didn't struggle a little with the LCP II's naming convention. But I don't think applying Roman Numerals to the LCP's name was enough to distinguish the LCP Gen 2 from the LCP II in conversations like the one we're having here. And I don't believe that LCP 3 would work because as Skip alluded to in his comment, I doubt Ruger thinks more than two variants of the LCP exist.

What would I have come up with instead? How about LCPGt . . . the LCP with a Glock trigger? I know. I'm being ridiculous. But from a visual perspective, I'd say the LCP II's trigger is probably the feature that most distinguishes it from the original LCP. And no one would mistake the LCPGt designation for a Gen 2, would they?

Anyway, buckle up, buckaroos. Ain't no turning back now.
    Last edited by bld522; 01-19-2017 at 11:38 AM.

11. #20 Re: Upgrade LCP: Custom or LCP II? 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    ... . And I don't believe that LCP 3 would work because as Skip alluded to in his comment, I doubt Ruger thinks more than two variants of the LCP exist.

They could have called it LCP 2a then, and this new one LCP 3.
    Last edited by w; 01-19-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads