New Ruger LCP II concern

New Ruger LCP II concern

This is a discussion on New Ruger LCP II concern within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I am posting a letter that I sent to Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. and email that I sent to the Ruger CEO concerning the ...

Like Tree150Likes

Thread: New Ruger LCP II concern

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Ruger LCP II concern 
    I am posting a letter that I sent to Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. and email that I sent to the Ruger CEO concerning the RUGER LCP II trigger. I am not soliciting comment, agreement or disagreement and will not argue or debate the issue. It is just a decision I had to make as a responsible wallet holster maker regarding my obligation for the safety of those who carry in my holsters. As the letter states I have Ruger pistols and rifles and like them and trust them to function as designed. I believe Ruger has been an upright responsible manufacturer of quality arms and hope that Ruger will address what is in my opinion a real safety concern.

To: Sturm, Ruger & Co.

Uncle George's Wallet Holsters

In Reference to: Ruger LCP II

First of all let me say that I own and shoot several of your Ruger pistols and have been very pleased with their performance and would recommend them without hesitation. I have been making and selling wallet holsters for concealed carry pistols for 8 years and consider your original Ruger LCP and your Ruger LCP Custom among the best for wallet holster carry. Apparently others think along the same lines as my holsters for the Ruger LCP outsell all my other wallet holsters 3 to 1 easily.

I am writing concerning the new Ruger LCP II and in particular the new trigger. I purchased the pistol to test it to see if I would make a holster for it. I mainly check to see if the pistol is indeed concealable in my style of holster and that there are no problems with making a holster for it. I also shoot it and give it a workout to see if I personally like the pistol. I want to know if it works for me carrying it in my style of holster and to assure myself that there are no reasons to not recommend the pistol for wallet holster carry before I offer a holster for it on my website.

I found that Ruger has done a great job upgrading and making the changes to the original LCP. The slide grooves are very helpful. The wider grip gave me a better and more stable hold on the pistol as it can be a little jumpy as most small .380s are. The sights were just the right height for me and didn't hinder holstering and unholstering the pistol. The trigger I found to be amazingly light for a hammer fired pistol. It is comparable to striker fired pistols and a great improvement over the original LCP model and better than most other small .380 automatics on the market. Good job!

However after checking out the trigger, the lightness of it gives me great concern about the safety of carrying it in a wallet holster or carrying it in any method of concealed carry. The pistol in the ready position is fully cocked and there is no safety other than the trigger safety which in my opinion is not an adequate safety mechanism. The trigger is very easily and smoothly pulled back until it stops and then there is a very light and very short pull to make the pistol fire. It is very much like most single action semi-automatic pistols. The danger of most single action pistols with such light triggers is offset by the addition of a safety that does not allow the hammer to fall and cause the bullet primer to be struck. The new Ruger LCP II does not have this kind of a safety. IT WOULD BE LIKE CARRYING A SINGLE ACTION PISTOL FULLY COCKED WITH THE SAFETY OFF. A very unsafe condition of carry. I have returned the pistol as I do not feel comfortable carrying it.

Although Ruger has created another fine pistol I would request and advise that it not be marketed as a concealed carry weapon. The trigger is great for target shooting but unsafe for concealed carry. I am very concerned as I have seen over the years an ever increasing number of folks that are new to firearms starting to carry weapons. The new Ruger LCP II in my opinion could be disastrous for these new shooters and possibly even for seasoned shooters. I am concerned that many women may be attracted to the Ruger LCP II as the trigger is easy to pull and the slide easier than most to rack back. I would not want my wife to carry the new Ruger LCP II in her purse or to be even handling one.

I will not be making a holster for the new Ruger LCP II and on my website I have posted Ruger LCP II warnings on the home page and several other pages. I now put a Ruger LCP II advisory warning in all my holster boxes.

As I stated at the beginning I own and like and trust Ruger products. I felt obligated to write you in hopes that you might find a remedy to what I consider a very real safety issue with the new Ruger LCP II trigger. This writing is not intended for debate about the issue as it is purely my opinion. I will be posting this letter on my website.

P.S. Most folks I have talked to claim that the trigger on the Ruger LCP Custom was a good improvement and just fine for carry and did not evoke safety concerns.

Sincerely,

George Teague
    unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com
    U.S. Army Security Agency, Berlin, Teufelsberg (the hill) '69-'72 ("C" Trick 98G2GLM/04B) Wie hoeren Sie mich? Kommen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teufelsberg

2. #2 re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    Get a Glock and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by davevabch; 03-24-2017 at 11:13 PM.

3. #3 re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    Firstly, I always defer to more experienced members...

Having said that, I've always carried pocket pistols on an empty chamber. Racking the slide, as I bring the gun level, is simple enough to do. This allows for a cognitive moment where I scan my world, and see what other threats might be in the peripherals. YMMV.
    GunnyBlue, Instymp and SlowBurn like this.
    USMC 83-87, US Army 87-88, RHPD 88-10, SCPD 10-

“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.” ― Aristotle

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    From the images I've seen, the LCP II appears to have a trigger safety similar to that in the Glock family of pistols. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Assuming the lever that's in the center line of the trigger is a safety (like the Glock's), is it possible to pull the LCP II trigger by grasping the sides of the trigger (while NOT activating the trigger safety) and pulling the trigger rearward? If the trigger cannot be pulled (thus firing the pistol) without first pulling the (assumed) trigger safety lever, why would it be hazardous to holster the LCP II in a properly designed (stiff center area) holster?
    Skip Douglas

6. #5 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    You are correct SkipD. The trigger functions the same as a Glock trigger having the safety blade in the center of the split trigger.
    I have not shot the LCP2 but I have checked one out at the gun shop. The trigger is definitely lighter than earlier LCPs. However, I think is a bit heavier than a Glock.
    Given the long trigger take up, I see no more danger than carrying a Glock.
    rpott3 and priell3 like this.

7. #6 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    I really like the trigger, it was a BIG selling point for me. But I don't carry with one in the pipe.
    I have never carried with one in the pipe, and when manufactures decided to remove the manual safety option it just confirmed my feelings.
    A long lousy trigger pull does nothing to make me feel safe.

Now before anyone starts telling me how wrong I am and how uninformed I am and starts linking to you tube videos as proof.
    Save it, I am happy with the way I carry, I am well aware of the risks involved and feel perfectly safe doing it.

To the OP while I may or may not agree with all of your statement, I have great respect that you are standing by what you believe.
    Even if it costs you money, that is someone I want to do business with someday.
    Cop_Out and SlowBurn like this.

8. #7 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    Save it, I am happy with the way I carry, I am well aware of the risks involved and feel perfectly safe doing it. (by seagullplayer)

Seagullplayer, I for one will not tell you you are wrong. I believe everyone should do whats right for them.
    I like the LCPgen2 trigger. It's tight enough for me to feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. Some say that is risky because there is no manual safety.
    To each his own.
    rayzer007 likes this.

9. #8 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    the gun YOU carry is wrong. The way YOU carry it is wrong.

not only that, but:

YOU're holding it wrong, looking at the sights wrong, and squeezing the trigger wrong.

It's simply amazing that you haven't hurt yourself.

(sent this to 10 of you closest friends withing one hour and you will have good luck. If you don't you will catch a horrible disease and suffer tremendously)
    (an acquaintance of mine from Indiana only sent this to 8 friends and contracted syphilis)
    My wife accused me of being immature.
    I told her to get out of my fort.

10. #9 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    boo
    I don`t understand your concerns. Glock has used this trigger safety for years without problems. Why would The Ruger LCP be any different?.

11. #10 Re: New Ruger LCP II concern 
    w
    Quote Originally Posted by louchia View Post
    You are correct SkipD. The trigger functions the same as a Glock trigger having the safety blade in the center of the split trigger.
    I have not shot the LCP2 but I have checked one out at the gun shop. The trigger is definitely lighter than earlier LCPs. However, I think is a bit heavier than a Glock.
    Given the long trigger take up, I see no more danger than carrying a Glock.

I haven't tried the 2 but I am very familiar with Glocks and if the trigger is "a bit heavier" than the Glock trigger forgedaboudit there's nothing to worry about. You just keep your finger off the trigger when you draw it from the holster. That's basic. Also - the people who carry a self defense gun with an empty chamber expecting to have the time and two hands free to rack it in an emergency situation, well I just don't know what they're thinking.
    Last edited by w; 11-15-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads