Inaccurate LCP

This is a discussion on Inaccurate LCP within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I've had my LCP now for 5 months and I still can't hit consistently with it. Is it me or something with the pistol?...

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Inaccurate LCP

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Inaccurate LCP 
    I've had my LCP now for 5 months and I still can't hit consistently with it. Is it me or something with the pistol?

2. #2 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    What is your target distance and what is your round count?
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

3. #3 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    Quote Originally Posted by gravette55 View Post
    I've had my LCP now for 5 months and I still can't hit consistently with it. Is it me or something with the pistol?
    What's your distance? What's your spread or pattern? What's your experience? What are your expectations? How's your eyesight? Are you using instinctive point-shooting, or using sights, or laser?

There may be a few questions I missed. I'm not an expert an diagnosing targeting problems. But, anyone would have the same questions, for any attempt to help.

I've got about 220 rounds through my new LCP. I've been shooting at 5 to 7 yards. I'm steady, but, the long trigger does challenge accuracy. I have to wear reading glasses, so, using sights is difficult. With the CTC laser, and slow, deliberate shooting, I can make a pattern about 1 1/2 inches at my distance. This satisfies me, with regard to the pistol's accuracy.

My pattern gets larger when I shoot slowly, and use the sights, which I see as a blur; they're more an aid to point-shooting. When I practice double-taps I hit center mass. If I rapidly empty the magazine, I get some misses. I can see that I need to improve, but, I'm satisfied that the pistol is not my problem.

Try a shooting rest at an appropriate distance. See if you can make a decent-sized pattern, which would allow you to rule out the pistol as an accuracy problem. Or, see if another shooter does better with your LCP.

I have found the laser to be an excellent training aid, like for dry firing. Wow, you immediately see the waver in your aim, and the wobble that's added as you cycle the trigger. This allows you to improve your steadiness, with visual feedback!
    rugerjay likes this.

4. #4 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    I find that the LCP is very accurate..but takes a long time to become familiar with. My take: Be very consistent with trigger pull (Don't jerk the pull..but clean sweep to break point.) Get used to where these dinky little sights give you the best line of sight for YOUR good shots. Then..use the feel like you are in the zone Zen method. I'm not kidding. Try it ..it works!!Mukwah knows quite a bit...answer his questions, and we might get you on the right road..You'll get there!
    Why is there air?

5. #5 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    jdm
    If you could show us a picture of a sample target (or at least describe one) and give us an idea of distance, hold, stance, etc., someone my be able to provide more assistance.

6. #6 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    Both. The pistol has a small frame and a long trigger pull. It can take quite a bit of practice to get used to. Try dry firing until you can pull the trigger without the sight picture moving. It can take some time to get used to the pull.

7. #7 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks. 150 roounds have gone through her. Mine has the Crimson trace laser which is worth every penny. It definitely shows how shaky you can be! At 7 to 10 yards I can put every round in the head on my target.

8. #8 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    Here is what I do when I practice training with my LCP w/CT, I clear the weapon of course and make sure no one else is in the room, I will use the clock on the wall a lamp shade anything non human and practice point and shooting at it. Look at the clock like it is going to attack you not as a target don't think about the long trigger pull and definitely don't try to stage the trigger, one smooth pull, just keep going from one target to another like you have to defend yourself a few time each then after a while I seen I was doing better, the wobble decreased then when I did use the sights to shoot at a target, my practicing point and shooting memory kicked in and I was manipulating the trigger in a smoother manner and was happy with my aim. I am no ace shooter buy all means but hopfully I am good enough to defend myself, never stop practicing. Basically try different things untill you find what works for you, listen to the guys in this forum, they won't steer you wrong and they know their stuff. What I do may not work for everyone but it does help me me.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

9. #9 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    The following is something I've published a few times, but it may be useful for the OP in this thread:

The LCP is designed as a point-n-shoot pistol for close-in self-defense combat shooting. In my opinion, for the point-n-shoot technique to work well, a fighting pistol MUST properly fit the shooter's hand. If it does not, then another pistol should be used. To test whether or not a particular pistol fits your hand:

1. Unload the pistol and move the ammunition to a remote place.
    2. Grasp the pistol with your eyes closed.
    3. Raise the pistol to a shooting position, still with your eyes closed.
    4. Open your eyes and look across the sights. The sights should be very closely aligned.
    5. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 above several times. The sight alignment should be good every time.

If a pistol fits your hand well enough to pass the test above, it will point as naturally as your index finger.

When in a combat situation (or practicing for combat shooting), you should focus on the target and NOT the sights. Bring the pistol into alignment with the target. Without even focusing on the pistol, you should see the top of the slide roughly aligned with your intended impact point. While holding the pistol in this alignment, rapidly fire at least two rounds (a "double-tap").

The above technique is a method that I've used (without defining it) and, later, read about in one of Massad Ayoob's very good books on combat pistol shooting. It works well IF the pistol fits your hand.
    Skip Douglas

10. #10 Re: Inaccurate LCP 
    I agree wih others here that LCP is not exactly an easy gun to shoot accurately. I've only had mine for less than two months and shot about 400 rounds with it so far. So I'm still learning to pull the long and heavy trigger without jerking. I would only shoot it at 20 ft or shorter distance, but at that short distance it is a very accurate pistol for the barrel length. I guess the little lady just asks a little more from the shooter than some other shooter-friendly guns. That's all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads