When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? - Page 18

When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber?

This is a discussion on When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by Denny4kids Slowburn, You would rather carry a empty weapon for fear of a negligent discharge because you will be aware of your ...

Like Tree85Likes

Thread: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber?

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
  1. #171 When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    Slowburn, You would rather carry a empty weapon for fear of a negligent discharge because you will be aware of your threat early enough to have the extra time to load your weapon?
    Sort of. For me, where I live, places I go, work I do, the chance of a quick, close in surprise assault, with time to draw but no time to rack? Just vanishingly small. If I lived anywhere near Cleveland for example, that might change the balance of risk. Also, if I do find myself in a more dicey situation, I try to take that seriously and get more ready even if there's no explicit threat.

You also mentioned that your weapon is no good to you up close to your attacker and will only be of use when you can get somewhat away. Is that so you can load your weapon?
    No. Racked or not, I'd need some time/space to draw, point, squeeze the trigger, ie to have some chance of being effective with it. I'm not QuickDraw McGraw.
    "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

2. #172 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    SlowBurn I understand and respect your ideas and the logic behind how you carry your weapon. Have you ever tested your gun handling skills under stress? If not then presenting your weapon and racking the slide could be harder than you think. I shoot IDPA and we have new shooters all the time. One match and most are hooked. Anyway I have watched how stress affects shooters and myself. Just being on the firing line for the first time has flustered veteran range shooters enough that when loading and making ready they were all fumble fingers. Then when the buzzer goes off their/my draw was sloppy and accuracy suffered. A simple course of fire was just a blur. The stress really affected me I mean them. This expert gun handler/shooter was very humbled his first match. SlowBurn I could probably carry like you do and get away with it but not before I overcame and conquered stress. Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #173 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    No. Racked or not, I'd need some time/space to draw, point, squeeze the trigger, ie to have some chance of being effective with it. I'm not QuickDraw McGraw.
    If you consider the times for each of the actions above, you'll probably find that racking the slide would take the longest of any of those, especially when under the pressure of being attacked.
    davevabch likes this.
    Skip Douglas

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #174 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Why do you feel the need to unload when they are in the safe? Is there a great risk of a ND in the safe? Just playing devils advocate, I used to do the same.
    Somebody challenged my thinking and now all my guns are loaded in the safe. If you always treat all guns as if they are loaded, all you are is more prepared.
    Unless you train as much the Israeli military (who at least used to carry w/ an empty chamber) you are at a serious disadvantage without one in the pipe no matter what the situation.

6. #175 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    BTW, for anyone who thinks they might have time to rack the slide if attacked, check out the Tueller drill.
    If you knew you were going to be attacked, you'd be an idiot for going to that certain place at that time. The point of CCW is being prepared for the unknown.
    Denny4kids likes this.

7. #176 When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter125 View Post
    BTW, for anyone who thinks they might have time to rack the slide if attacked, check out the Tueller drill.
    If you knew you were going to be attacked, you'd be an idiot for going to that certain place at that time. The point of CCW is being prepared for the unknown.
    Exactly, it can happen fast. This link will show you just how fast it does happen http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHYRBN...%3DjwHYRBNc9r8.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

8. #177 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    SlowBurn I understand and respect your ideas and the logic behind how you carry your weapon. Have you ever tested your gun handling skills under stress? If not then presenting your weapon and racking the slide could be harder than you think. I shoot IDPA and we have new shooters all the time. One match and most are hooked. Anyway I have watched how stress affects shooters and myself. Just being on the firing line for the first time has flustered veteran range shooters enough that when loading and making ready they were all fumble fingers. Then when the buzzer goes off their/my draw was sloppy and accuracy suffered. A simple course of fire was just a blur. The stress really affected me I mean them. This expert gun handler/shooter was very humbled his first match. SlowBurn I could probably carry like you do and get away with it but not before I overcame and conquered stress. Den
    Thanks for hearing out my point of view. Never done anything like it, but I might try IDPA. Certainly couldn't hurt (except my pride).

Before I got this little Ruger, I couldn't imagine being interested enough in shooting to try something like IDPA and I've owned a Glock 17 for decades. But, because the first time I shot the LCP I couldn't hit anything, I started going to the range quite a bit more. Gradually I'm getting hooked and thinking of shooting as recreation, not just a chore. Ironic, especially since I understand 380s aren't allowed in IDPA.

9. #178 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    I keep mine with a loaded chamber always. Always. I want no hesitation during the heat of the moment. I want to draw and be ready to fire ASAP. Keep it simple, pull and fire. No time to worry about racking.
    The first one through the door get's the copper coated candy.

10. #179 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    One in the chamber but make sure you have a good holster that protects the trigger. And then learn to draw the LCP leaving the holster in the pocket and your finger off the trigger until you have sights on the target. Practicing this will keep you from an embarrassing "discharge".

11. #180 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcvay View Post
    I always carry one in the chamber. The bad guy isn't gonna wait till you rack it
    Always one in the pipe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads