When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? - Page 17

When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber?

This is a discussion on When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by Deadbolt You wouldn't carry a flashlight without batteries would you? So why carry your gun unloaded? Always one in the pipe. Actually, ...

Like Tree19Likes

Thread: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
  1. #161 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
    You wouldn't carry a flashlight without batteries would you? So why carry your gun unloaded? Always one in the pipe.
    Actually, if you leave your batteries in your flashlight all the time they'll be dead when you need them.
    "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

2. #162 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Actually, if you leave your batteries in your flashlight all the time they'll be dead when you need them.
    Since I carry a "flashlight" daily and there is no parasitic drain, I leave the batteries in it and change them as needed.
    Now it it was being stored then naturally there would be no batteries left in it.
    Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:4

3. #163 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    New User
    yes, fully loaded, 1 in chamber, a no brainer. i also carry 2 extra full pro-mag magazines. yes, all mags work just fine. carry in a pocket holster, never had to pull it. thank GOD!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #164 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    I carry mine with one in the chamber and an extra mag ina Remora holster with extra mag compartment when I had my LCP. Never hurts to have a few extra rounds as light as they are

6. #165 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    One in the chamber.

7. #166 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    one in the chamber, 6 in the magazine. Extra pro-mag if i'm not feeling overloaded that day.

8. #167 When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Not in mine. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I have to get this off my chest:

I have no quarrel with those who carry with the chamber loaded, unless its somebody I know well enough to know they shouldn't. Many should, depending on experience, level of expertise, daily activities and environment, etc. But I have a feeling many who shouldn't may have been pushed into it by not wanting to appear wimpy, or something. And I disagree with the sort of evangelical preaching that everyone should always keep one in the chamber (or go unarmed.)

Have you or anyone you know ever had to use a gun to protect yourself or someone else, other than as a soldier or cop? Have you or anyone you know ever had an accidental discharge? Which, in your own life, is more likely? The fact is there's a greater chance of an accidental discharge if there's a bullet in the chamber. Of course keep the gun holstered, keep your finger off the trigger, keep the gun in a safe place when not being carried, etc. But the truth is: sh!t happens.

Here is a story about an off duty detective in Tampa who left his gun in the movie theater bathroom on Father's Day. It was found by a kid smart enough to take it to his father who was smart enough to disarm it in a safe location (and call the cops). Story doesn't say if there was a round in the chamber, but if there was I'm about 100 times more nervous for that kid, or some other kid not as smart who might have found it.

Hillsborough sheriff's detective who left gun in movie bathroom demoted | Tampa Bay Times

Now this guy was off duty, at the movies. Other than being a little absent minded, he seems to be a fine officer and its good that somebody like that has a gun with him. But what are the chances he would need to use it and not have time to rack the slide? If some crazy comes in with guns blazing, the cop should take cover, check his field of fire, and aim before firing. The extra time to chamber the first round would be negligible.

I've watched videos of experts demonstrating a situation where they perceive a threat close by, draw like lightning, square up to the target, and fire off 2-6 quick ones right in center mass. That's not me and never will be. If an attacker is on me before I get at least some warning sense that I need to have it out and ready, my gun is not going to do me any good at least till I can get somewhat away.

Weigh it out. The risk of an AD on the one side vs the risk of being in a situation of 1)need to use the gun 2)able to use the gun, but 3) prevented from using the gun by the time it takes to chamber a round. Hopefully both are very unlikely, but which is less likely in YOUR life? Answer that honestly to yourself, then choose accordingly and don't worry about what other people think of you.
    Last edited by SlowBurn; 08-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

9. #168 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Slowburn you make a good point. Odds are we'll never have to pull our handgun in defense, but if we do even less odds it would need to be fired. However crap does happen and you really never know. The trigger on the lcp is fairly stiff, it would be extraordinarily hard for the gun to go off unless you're pulling the trigger. As long as firearm safety rules are followed nothing will happen. Also if you carry a gun and you think you may accidentally leave it somewhere then said person should stop carrying. No excuse for that cop leaving his gun in that bathroom.

If something were to happen and your weak arm is subdued or holding an attacker back, you will have no way to rack the slide. Leaves the gun essentially useless in that situation. At that point I would hope I had a knife to pull opposed to a pistol i cant fire. Just food for thought. I am actually currently carrying without one in the pipe cause my lcp is loose in my pocket. Going to get a pocket holster later today and then will certainly be carrying with 1 in the chamber.

10. #169 When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    If something were to happen and your weak arm is subdued or holding an attacker back, you will have no way to rack the slide.
    Thanks for the good response. No question that could happen. It shouldn't, because if we're attentive there will be pre-warnings and we'll be ready. But it does.

Zimmerman is a classic example of not heeding the danger and then being in a predicament where having a round in the chamber saved him.

You're also right that if we're never careless there should never be an AD.

Nobody thinks they're ever going to be careless. But though rare, in the real world both situations happen. Question is which is more likely and the answer is going to be different for different folks.

11. #170 Re: When you carry your LCP is there one in chamber? 
    Slowburn, You would rather carry a empty weapon for fear of a negligent discharge because you will be aware of your threat early enough to have the extra time to load your weapon? You also mentioned that your weapon is no good to you up close to your attacker and will only be of use when you can get somewhat away. Is that so you can load your weapon? I have never heard this train of thought before. Thanks, Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads