9mm pistol similar to LCP?

This is a discussion on 9mm pistol similar to LCP? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; My LCP is a great gun, but is there anything as small and light in 9mm? I've done a lot of research online, and the ...

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 9mm pistol similar to LCP?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    My LCP is a great gun, but is there anything as small and light in 9mm? I've done a lot of research online, and the closest ones seem to be the RohrBaugh R9 (very expensive and questionable reliability/durability) and the Kahr CM9. There seem to be a lot of Kahr fans out there, but I've also read about reliability issues. Also, the CM9 weighs around 20 oz loaded, which seems a bit heavy for pocket carry.

I know a lot of people like to rip on the .380 caliber as being inferior, but I don't see anyone willing to take 7 rounds to the chest, 13 if you carry another mag. During the winter months when I have a coat, I've been carrying a S&W 340PD .357 magnum loaded with .38 spl +P, and in the summer it's Elsie. As far as concealability and weight, I think it's extremely hard to beat this combo. I definitely think the .38 is adequate in terms of stopping power, and I think the .380 would be ok, especially with multiple shots, but a truly pocketable 9mm would be so sweet. So far, I haven't really found one.
    Last edited by Bang_Bang; 11-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.

2. #2 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    Have you looked at the Beretta Nano?

3. #3 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    Have you looked at the Beretta Nano?
    Looks like a nice gun, and it seems like they've gotten the kinks worked out. I think it's OK size wise, but it's pretty heavy for a "pocket" pistol.

Some others I've tried (or read about):

• G26 - awesome gun, but a little big and chunky for the pocket; very heavy. It's a keeper, just not a carrier for me
    • LC9 - didn't like it; still kind of big for a pocket; don't like the external safety
    • Diamondback DB9 - seems like it's exactly what I want, small and very light, but I don't know if I could depent on it. Reliability?
    • Kahr CM9 - small, but heavy-ish when loaded. Not sure about reliability.
    • Kel-tec - quality and reliability issues

Anyone on here pocket carry a Nano?

4. #4 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    As far as I can discern, not much difference in .380 acp and 38 Spl in terms of stopping power. Not sure how the 38 Spl +P factors in, though. I'm sure there are a couple of guys here that own Nano's that will chime in. Another 9mm I've been reading about that looks really interesting, the Sig P290rs, it too is kind of pricey, but can be had for around $550. It's a bit heavy, like the others, though. I too would like to step up to a 9mm pocket carry gun, but have the same concerns that you've mentioned and one that you haven't "FUNDS".
    Last edited by silverfox1; 11-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!" From the movie, "Blazing Saddles"
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger SR22PB

5. #5 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    I have not found a 9mm that I really would want to pocket carry.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #6 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    I pocket carry the Kahr CM9 24/7 now. Elsie has become a Safe "Queen". Took a little getting used to, but now, I would never go back. YMMV! Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

7. #7 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    I am looking into the same question myself. I almost settled on a Sig Sauer P290. I went to the LGS and picked one up to see how it felt. It measures close to the LC9, but seems heavier and feels more bulky. Hope you find something, and please share as I would like to learn from your efforts.
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    Thomas Jefferson

8. #8 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    There are technological and physical limits to putting a round as powerful as the 9mm Luger into something the size of an LCP. Parts cannot be made large enough to handle the loads that they are expected to carry, and they will fatigue and fail more often. (RohrBaugh recommends replacing the slide springs at 200 rounds, for example) That's why so few makers are willing to offer anything like this. Look in the current issue of Guns n Ammo magazine for a comparison of the most popular of the smallest 9mm handguns. It's not likely that you'll see anything much smaller than these.
    A 380 in your pocket will defend you far better than a 45 in the safe at home.

9. #9 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    Quote Originally Posted by millsriver View Post
    I am looking into the same question myself. I almost settled on a Sig Sauer P290. I went to the LGS and picked one up to see how it felt. It measures close to the LC9, but seems heavier and feels more bulky. Hope you find something, and please share as I would like to learn from your efforts.
    Looks nice, too, but too heavy for me. A family member carries this, and I think he likes it. Maybe I am just very sensitive to weight, but I can't stand having a ton of stuff in my pockets. Even an empty G26 feels like a brick in my pocket (and it's about 20 oz). Load a full mag in it, and forget about it. IMO, a lot of these new "pocket" nines are useless. They're too big and heavy to put in your pocket. Sure, they'll work just fine on a belt, but if you're going to belt carry, you might as well pack more firepower.

10. #10 Re: 9mm pistol similar to LCP? 
    I agree with the weight issue. Much extra weight tends to pull my pants down. And for us littler guys (I'm 5'2" and around 130 rather fit pounds) the "real estate" available is rather limited. Heck in not-too-recent memory, I'd probably be carrying a Walther or a Beretta in .32ACP. So I'm grateful for a "big" .380.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads