Most reliable .380 ammo?

This is a discussion on Most reliable .380 ammo? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I'm having problems with failure to ejects with my new LCP (separate post). I used PMC and Cartridge Co of the Phillipines - cheap ammo ...

Thread: Most reliable .380 ammo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    New User
    I'm having problems with failure to ejects with my new LCP (separate post). I used PMC and Cartridge Co of the Phillipines - cheap ammo to say the least. Before i start getting worried I'd like to run some reliable ammo throgh to see if its the ammo or the gun. Is there a brand of ammo that works in every LCP?

2. #2 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    I don't know the answer to that. Many people use Winchester White Box. I am not crazy about it because I don't like squared off bullets because they chamber kinda hard. I have used quite a bit of PMC without issue. I did not read your other post yet, but after a thorough clean and lube rack it over and over, 100 times or more and shoot it some more. If you still have issues give them a call at Ruger.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

3. #3 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bo View Post
    I'm having problems with failure to ejects with my new LCP (separate post). I used PMC and Cartridge Co of the Phillipines - cheap ammo to say the least. Before i start getting worried I'd like to run some reliable ammo throgh to see if its the ammo or the gun. Is there a brand of ammo that works in every LCP?
    Every LCP that is functioning properly should feed, fire, extract, and eject virtually all standard velocity .380 ammunition. That's not to say that all standard velocity ammunition is built with the same quality. However, if any ammunition is being extracted from the chamber and not ejected clear of the pistol, something is quite probably wrong with the LCP.

You have stated "failure to eject". Is that precisely the problem or is the problem possibly failure to fully extract the spent case from the chamber? Many folks don't quite understand the difference and thus they sometimes call either failure a "failure to eject" because the cartridge stayed in the pistol. I'm simply trying to learn the facts to be able to help you better.
    Skip Douglas

4. #4 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    I've shot PMC ammo in my LCP and a couple of other calibers with no problems.

5. #5 Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    I prefer the WWB because i don't mistake the flat noses with my red box 9mm Federals.
    Ive shot aluminum Blazers and may switch to them for the same reason, to prevent confusion.
    Ive shot PMC and liked them but too similar to the look of the 9s.
    Daisy Red Ryder, scoped Mossberg 702 Plinkster , Henry .22, Marlin .30-30 with scope, Maverick 88 12 gauge, 1939 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant, Ruger P89, 22/45, and LCP.
    (I know I need a 10/22 but I love my Plinkster)

6. #6 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    I've had 1 FTE from WWB out of the 100rds I shot. Flawless w/ Fiocchi so far.

7. #7 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon281tx View Post
    I've had 1 FTE from WWB out of the 100rds I shot. Flawless w/ Fiocchi so far.
    What, precisely, do you mean by "FTE"? There are two common definitions for that abbreviation and they are quite different.
    Skip Douglas

8. #8 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    Failure to extract/eject

9. #9 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon281tx View Post
    Failure to extract/eject
    I think what Skip wants to know is which is it? Did it fail to extract the case from the chamber or fail to properly eject the spent case?
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

10. #10 Re: Most reliable .380 ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    Every LCP that is functioning properly should feed, fire, extract, and eject virtually all standard velocity .380 ammunition. That's not to say that all standard velocity ammunition is built with the same quality. However, if any ammunition is being extracted from the chamber and not ejected clear of the pistol, something is quite probably wrong with the LCP.
    I agree with Skip, the LCP should have no problem with any standard velocity ammo. The main difference in quality ammo is the tolerance in the loads. High quality (expensive) ammo will be more consistent and hold tighter groups than cheaper brands. The cheaper brands should still feed and cycle with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads