New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo

This is a discussion on New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Just took my new LCP to the range. Shot a 50 count box of Blazer brass without any issue. Its hard to see the front ...

Thread: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Just took my new LCP to the range. Shot a 50 count box of Blazer brass without any issue. Its hard to see the front sight to aim but I hit the center of mass on all rounds. I could hit the target center within a few inches at 10 years. Not a bad shooter. The trigger did not matter as much as I thought after I learned to stage it properly.

Then I tried to use Federal Premium 'Low Recoil' 90 grain Hyrdra-Shok JHP and the problems started. Each round would not feed properly. The round would end up with its point jammed up against the feed ramp at a downward angle. Of course the slide would not going into battery fully. I had to retract the slide just a little then rack it and it would go into battery.

The normal ball ammo I just show feed without any issues. I mixed the ammo up and it again failed to fully chamber each of the JHP ones, the ball ammo no problems.

So what should I do?
    Should I break in the firearm with more ball ammo?
    Should I polished the feed ramp?
    Should I try another personnel defense ammo brand? Any recommendations?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    --RSK

2. #2 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4asz View Post
    The trigger did not matter as much as I thought after I learned to stage it properly.
    I'm not sure what to do about your feeding problems, but PLEASE DO NOT "stage" the trigger. The LCP is not a target pistol and all training with it should emulate the close-in last-ditch combat shooting that it is designed for. You would simply be wasting time with the staging of the trigger and that could get you killed in a fight. Learn to hold the LCP on target (in a point-n-shoot mode) and pull the trigger very rapidly without pulling the pistol off target in the process. This may take a bit of training to get it right, but the result will be worth every bit of the effort.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Skip is right on the trigger staging. Forget it unless you ate shooting a target pistol.

The "low recoil" rounds may not be generating enough force to adequately cycle the slide, especially if you don't have a strong grip on the pistol. I would get a box of standard self defense ammo - Gold Dots or Hornady CD - and try again. Keep a strong grip.
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

4. #4 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Thanks Skip,

I was staging the trigger to see how accurate I could get with this small pistol. I did have a few that I pulled and still hit center of mass. I would never do this in a real situation. I agree with your point and shoot mode, unfortunately the indoor range does not allow rapid firing so I had to go slow. At the normal range I am a member at they do allow the rapid firing which I plan on trying out next week.

Thanks for the help,
    --RSK

5. #5 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    I'm not sure what to do about your feeding problems, but PLEASE DO NOT "stage" the trigger. The LCP is not a target pistol and all training with it should emulate the close-in last-ditch combat shooting that it is designed for. You would simply be wasting time with the staging of the trigger and that could get you killed in a fight. Learn to hold the LCP on target (in a point-n-shoot mode) and pull the trigger very rapidly without pulling the pistol off target in the process. This may take a bit of training to get it right, but the result will be worth every bit of the effort.
    Skip, I'm so glad I read this post. I've seen this information from you many times before, but for some reason, this time I realize that is exactly what I've been doing (staging the trigger). It's a habit, I'll have to break. Thanks for the wake up call.
    "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!" From the movie, "Blazing Saddles"
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger SR22PB

6. #6 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    +1 to Skip! It must be understood that the LCP is NOT a target/range gun! It's design and purpose is specifically point and shoot, up close and personal self defense!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

7. #7 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Polish the ramp. It also helps to set there and rack the slide 100 to 200 to break in the spring and the slibe and everything up.

RICHGCOOP

8. #8 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I'd stay away from that low recoil stuff. The only ammo that I had a problem with in my Glock 27 was from a couple of boxes of low recoil 165 grain Hydra Shok that an FBI agent gave me. I think now that his agency was discontinuing its use and told their guys to get rid of or shoot up the stuff they had.

9. #9 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    +1 on all of the above. Do not limp wrist, polish the ramp, keep lubed, put about 200 rounds of good ammo thru the LCP.

10. #10 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4asz View Post
    Thanks Skip,

I was staging the trigger to see how accurate I could get with this small pistol. I did have a few that I pulled and still hit center of mass. I would never do this in a real situation. I agree with your point and shoot mode, unfortunately the indoor range does not allow rapid firing so I had to go slow. At the normal range I am a member at they do allow the rapid firing which I plan on trying out next week.

Thanks for the help,
    --RSK
    While you may not be allowed to discharge multiple rounds rapidly at a given range, you should be able to hold a pistol at the "ready" position (held below the target) and then very rapidly acquire the target using the point-n-shoot method I've published here several times and pull the trigger through to firing a single round. Simply repeat this over and over again until each and every time you get a hit on target in the shortest possible time.

Dry firing practice (with all live ammo in another room) can be very useful to improve skill in this technique. Using a laser in the bore can let you see if you're holding on-target or not while pulling the trigger.
    Skip Douglas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads