New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo

This is a discussion on New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Thanks again, I think it was the 'low recoil' ammo I was using. Just not enough recoil is generated to fully cycle the slide. --RSK...

Thread: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Thanks again,

I think it was the 'low recoil' ammo I was using. Just not enough recoil is generated to fully cycle the slide.

--RSK

2. #12 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4asz View Post
    I think it was the 'low recoil' ammo I was using. Just not enough recoil is generated to fully cycle the slide.
    That's a good message for all folks on the forum here.
    Skip Douglas

3. #13 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I recently picked up a LCP for the wife.

I have not had a chance to get to the range yet. I already had some 380 ammo for a Bersa, so I thought I would try manually cycling some different types through it. The round nose Speer Lawman FMJ works perfectly. I next tried some Remington Golden Sabre and had problems chambering the first round. It seemed to be snagging on the feed ramp, so I polished it. That problem seemed to be solved. But, now it won't eject the first round, it gets hung part way back, the only way I can clear it is to drop the mag, then it ejects fine. I determined that problem to be the rear edge of the chambered round catching on the front edge of the next casing in the magazine. All of the 380 Golden Sabre rounds do not have the rear edge of the rim chamferred. The Speer Lawman does. I then tried some regular Remington JHP, and they work fine. Yep, they are chamferred, too.

I will try the Golden Sabre as soon as I can go to the range, maybe it will cycle fine when actually firing. But, if I can't clear a misfire round without dropping the mag, I would not trust it for a real stress situation. I plan to put a couple hundred rounds through it then maybe I will revisit the Golden Sabre.

4. #14 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I had similar issues with regular Hornady JHP getting stuck on the feed ramp, so I tried Hornady critical defense and it fed fine. The regular JHP has a fatter nose compared to the critical defense which is more tapered, so I think that may have contributed to my issues.

5. #15 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I tried a couple of mags of Hornady Critical Defense and it seems to work fine. I've ordered some more so I can build up a little more confidence it it.

All of the larger cavity hollow points seem to have issues with feeding. Federal Hydra Shock also does not work for me.

6. #16 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I had the opposite issue. Ball fed for crap, double feed, or failure to go into battery quite a few times in a 50 round session. My chosen Carry round the Hornady Critical Defense Fed fine?

JP

7. #17 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    I haven't had trouble cycling anything. Federals work fine in mine. The only ammo I've had an issue with were some green box Remington bulk. The primers were too hard. Would fire on the second hammer fall. Back to the OP.......sounds like a magazine problem. I'd recommend everyone take their mags apart for a good inspection and cleaning on a regular basis. Magazines are as important on a semi auto as any other part. M1911

8. #18 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    Mine did the same thing with Horandy Critical Defense..I polished the feed ramp
    and the problem was solved...

9. #19 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    FWIW. You guys read about my failure to feed and Rugers 1st response. Well, their 2nd response (when the gun did not feed Gold Dots, hollow points) was to e mail me a return UPS postage slip. Sent the gun in, they replaced the slide and ran 30 rounds of Black Hills Gold thru it and sent it right back. Works perfect now! These Nano guns are pretty picky! They are awful small and things gotta be just right. Of course if you limp wrist it, nothing will probably work.

BTW, very happy with Rugers response. Musta got a newbie the first call or she was having a bad day

10. #20 Re: New LCP Failure to Feed JHP ammo 
    A bit more of the history of mine. The original problems I had were with manually cycling some Remington Golden Saber. The first problem - chambering a round - was fixed as far as I can tell by polishing the feed ramp. The edge of the hollowpoint cavity seemed to be hanging on the feed ram.

The second problem was that I could not reliably cycle the LCP manually with this ammo. During extraction, the rear edge of the rim of the chambered round seemed to be snagging on the front edge of the next casing in the magazine. I now believe this is the root of the problem I am having with other ammo. The symptom is FTE or "double feed". Everytime the gun now jams, the spent casing is part way out of the chamber, the slide is all the way back and is trying to push a round out of the magazine. I have to push that round back down into the magazine so the slide can go forward to catch the spent casing again.

Today I tried a few things to test my theory, and I think I can accurately predict if a given ammo will work or not. Some ammo has a small chamfered edge on the rear of the rim. These will work. Some do not have a chamfered rim, and these will not work. It makes sense. The chamfered edge will allow the rim to ride over the next casing, the ones not chamfered will sometimes hang, usually at least once per mag.

I looked at all the ammo that works, and all (that I have left) that don't work, and they follow this theory completely.

FWIW, one more ammo that I tried today that works is the Winchester white box FMJ 100 round bulk that I bought at Walmart. This will be my practice ammo now. Hornady Critical Defense will be EDC.

I may contact Ruger and mention this. Maybe they know about it, maybe not, but think it is worth mentioning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads