Double Tap

This is a discussion on Double Tap within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I always shoot 6 or 7 rounds as fast as I can. so really double tap is senseless. If I ever have to defend myself ...

Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Double Tap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Double Tap 
    I always shoot 6 or 7 rounds as fast as I can. so really double tap is senseless. If I ever have to defend myself with my 380 I will unload.
    MajMarine likes this.

2. #12 Re: Double Tap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect 10 View Post
    I always shoot 6 or 7 rounds as fast as I can. so really double tap is senseless. If I ever have to defend myself with my 380 I will unload.
    How would you react with two or three bad guys? The double-tap concept makes an awful lot of sense.
    Skip Douglas

3. #13 Re: Double Tap 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    How would you react with two or three bad guys? The double-tap concept makes an awful lot of sense.
    What he said.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

4. #14 Double Tap 
    I thinks it's helpful to practice both but I don't plan on a mag dump from the start. just be ready for whatever the situation brings I suppose. I practice a lot of 2 and 3 rapid shots mostly. I like to hit one target as quick as I can twice then get an accurate shot on a second target (preferably at a different distance) for a third shot.
    In many contexts, "What would Jesus do?" is not a particularly helpful inquiry.

5. #15 Re: Double Tap 
    You guys got me thinking. Yes double taps are better than singles. Triples are better than doubles. But taking on three bad guys with seven .380 rounds?
    I'd use the first magazine to keep their heads down while I find some cover. The second mag for some well placed opportunities when their heads pop up.
    MajMarine likes this.

6. #16 Re: Double Tap 
    One round in each of the first two bad guys, two in the third BG, then come back with a second round in BG's one and two, or two and one. Each BG is hit once in the shortest time period, with follow-ups with your remaining rounds with one round left over for whom ever's still wiggling.

7. #17 Re: Double Tap 
    Double tap actually makes great sense, even with multiple BGs. I've had friends involved in DGU situations with multiple miscreants, and when the first guy starting leaking that influenced the others to cut and run, in every situation I've had close knowledge of. Granted, these were crime-of-opportunity situations, not personally targeted. If someone is coming after you for revenge etc., that would probably change the dynamics significantly, as would the effect of certain drugs. But, in general, I think that an effective action against the most immediate threat (nearest/biggest BG) will probably bring about the desired result: a removal of the overall danger.
    Just based on what friends have experienced...

8. #18 Re: Double Tap 
    Quote Originally Posted by warprints View Post
    No. I do not practice double tap. Muscle memory is what kicks in when you don't have time to think, and a double tap is a guarantee of absolutely nothing. I was trained not to double tap - trained to shoot until they stop.
    Trained not to double tap, that really makes little sense. If you pull the trigger twice you have done a double tap, but it might be a really slow ineffective one. Two to the body and one to the head and if that doesn't incapacitate the perp, do it again, fast. Double tap, triple tap, does not limit you to 2 or 3 rounds. Keep doing it until your gun is empty. And if you empty your gun, slam in a new mag or speed loader and start your triple taps all over again, if you are still alive and can do so. If you practice the double or triple tap and become proficient at it, you will most likely only need to do it once. But nothing is preventing you from doing it again, and again, and again. By the time you shoot two normal slow fire rounds to "center mass" (can't do that really fast or it would be a double tap wouldn't it?) and then decide the perp must have on a bullet proof vest, it will probably be too late. You have already fired your last round. When you can shoot two or three rounds and it sounds like you only fired one, you got it. Now you will be really effective and your odds of surviving a gun fight just went up.

9. #19 Re: Double Tap 
    Double tap....sure! It needs to become a motor skill....with a muscle memory aspect also. I end up every shoot with double tap practice, then head shot. We are creatures of habit...and this one might just save my life.
    Why is there air?

10. #20 Re: Double Tap 
    Double taps with Elsie is not very effective for me past 10 feet. My sr9 is another story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads