Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?

This is a discussion on Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; You are going to see them smaller, less expensive, and the holstering issues largely resolved. My guess is, that within the next ten years there ...

Thread: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?

1. #1 Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    You are going to see them smaller, less expensive, and the holstering issues largely resolved. My guess is, that within the next ten years there will be a proliferation of red dot reflex sights replacing for many shooters their conventional front and rear sights and rail mount laser aiming devices. Already there are red dot reflex models that fit right into your handgun's rear dovetail slot. Rail mount lasers I predict will come down in price and one of the driving forces behind the red dot reflex momentum is the !@#$ load of baby boomers who love to shoot but can't see worth a hoot. Don't judge by what is available now. The technology is leap frogging.

A sampling:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/fast...ct%20guide.pdf

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...e-sight-6.html

Now discuss amongst yourselves.
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

2. #2 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    Pardon my ignorance Kraigster, but can you define exactly what you are referring to with a "red dot reflex" I have an Eotech 512 on an AR15 and an Aimpoint red dot on a 22 rifle but it is a big round thing that mounts on the gun where a scope would be. Both work great but would not fit on a medium size pistol. By the way I am eagerly awaiting your review on the small rail mounted lasermax. I am going to put one on a Kel-Tec PF9 if you give it a thumbs up.
    I guess I fall into the baby boomer aging eyes category. I used to be able to shoot a lot better when I could see. Now I just aim in the general direction of the target and hope for the best.

3. #3 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    jjmc, 'same essential setup (checkout the Burris link) but smaller models are on the drawing board for handguns that will slip right into your slide's rear dovetail slot. I could be wrong but I think these devices have tremendous potential.

I expect to receive a new Lasermax Uni Max Micro this week and will test it out. Stay tuned. I will also be receiving the new Armalaser Stingray Mini in a few weeks. Both are red dot rail mount lasers designed to fit all subcompacts with a rail including your PF9. It will be interesting to compare the two.

4. #4 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    There are several companies that make good units. J Point also makes one that is virtually the same size as the Burris model. There is very little inside of the units and the technology isn't that tricky. Building more will drop the prices to make them easier to get.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

I've had reflex sights on my telescopes for 25 years. No recoil with them though
    No Tapatalk Crap

Sent from a Windows 3.1, 88 Mhz 486 DX2 running Netscape 1.0 via 14.4 b modem

5. #5 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    ..anyone tried this laser rear sight?

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_S..._SR/RL-SR.html

Just curious, as I really like my SR9 and it might add an interesting twist to what is already a fine sight system.

Tarheel

6. #6 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    Good food for thought.

7. #7 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel
    ..anyone tried this laser rear sight?

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_S..._SR/RL-SR.html

Just curious, as I really like my SR9 and it might add an interesting twist to what is already a fine sight system.

Tarheel
    Yes Hank I did for hkpro.com about a year ago or so. Sad to say, it did not hold up. Laser failed within 50 rounds of test firing on a Glock 30sf. I immediately uninstalled and returned to the retailer for a refund. Granted, this was one unit, one test but a confidence builder it was not and I would not recommend for what it's worth.

8. #8 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    Quote Originally Posted by kraigster414
    jjmc, 'same essential setup (checkout the Burris link) but smaller models are on the drawing board for handguns that will slip right into your slide's rear dovetail slot. I could be wrong but I think these devices have tremendous potential.

I expect to receive a new Lasermax Uni Max Micro this week and will test it out. Stay tuned. I will also be receiving the new Armalaser Stingray Mini in a few weeks. Both are red dot rail mount lasers designed to fit all subcompacts with a rail including your PF9. It will be interesting to compare the two.
    I was reading about this the other day. One thing they did bring up was that some of the ejecting brass would hit the glass (making marks) I'm sure it would depend on the pistol and sight location, but something to keep in mind.

9. #9 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    Good observation 1340.

10. #10 Re: Red-Dot Reflex Sights, the Future for Handgun Sights?  
    I have various brands of Red-Dot Reflex Sights on several of my long guns. As mentioned in other post, with aging eyesight they are great for me. I am looking & considering installing a dovetail mount reflex on my Ruger 22/45RP.
    Elsie, "never leave home without it"!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads