Pain from carrying your gun

Pain from carrying your gun

This is a discussion on Pain from carrying your gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; I'm posting this because it has become an issue for me in the past year and I'm thinking I am probably not alone. When carrying ...

Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pain from carrying your gun

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pain from carrying your gun 
    I'm posting this because it has become an issue for me in the past year and I'm thinking I am probably not alone. When carrying a hand gun on my right hip, I start experiencing discomfort after about an hour. My hip and lower back start to ache. Removing the gun lessons the pain, so I am linking gun carry to the pain. IWB causes the most discomfort, but there is also discomfort with OWB carry as well. Just not quite as bad. So I thought I would bring up this issue in the forums and see if there are others experiencing this issue, and if so, what has helped you?

2. #2 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    Time for a smaller gun or pocket carry . We are at the age where everyday pains pop up and hang around . Ibuprofen gets me through the day . Hate to take them regularly but that is the reality of getting old . Anyone know of a dietary cure , I am all ears .
    RICHGCOOP likes this.

3. #3 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    I carry IWB about 10 o'clock (I'm a lefty) opposite appendix. This is kinda a soft area with no bone. Works for me but it took a while to really get comfortable with it. Just part of concealed carry that takes some getting used to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    petergunn likes this.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    Actually, I have started pocket carrying recently with my LCPII. A great help in this regard, but I still want to carry a larger 9MM as well from time to time.

6. #5 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
    Actually, I have started pocket carrying recently with my LCPII. A great help in this regard, but I still want to carry a larger 9MM as well from time to time.
    Try 4 o'clock . The LC9s is slim and only 17 ozs. I have a holster from Comfort Holster who are part of Clinger Holster now . It has a gel covered with suede on the back of the kydex . It was my first and only IWB holster so I have nothing to compare to . The last time I looked , there was no listing of it anymore . I'll look again . It was slightly thicker because of the gel but felt OK against my skin without a tee under it .

7. #6 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    I certainly "feel your pain". I've found that an occasional chiropractic adjustment takes care of the problem.
    USMC 83-87, US Army 87-88, RHPD 88-10, SCPD 10-

“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.” ― Aristotle

8. #7 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    A couple of things, change the angle you are carrying, pocket carry and the last thing get a heavy duty gun belt. What I mean by heavy duty, is good quality gun built that is designed to for carry all day. With that type of a gun belt should relieve your hip and back pain.
    bld522, ETS and louchia like this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

9. #8 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    +1 on the gun belt idea. It made all the difference for me. I use a ratchet-style gun belt davevabch recommended. You can find it here:

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

PS: Be careful. Trakline belts come in 2 styles . . . gun belts and fashion belts. Fashion belts are cheaper, but they're not reinforced. Make sure you specify the gun belt when you order!
    Last edited by bld522; 05-18-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

10. #9 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    The problem with anti-inflammatories is that they're not good for the heart. And how long folks are on them doesn't seem to matter. A quick Google search will confirm that. I also speak from personal experience. I have chronic lower back pain due to arthritis and my physician took me off anti-inflammatories entirely due to my family's heart history. I manage my pain with stretching exercises and prescription pain medication.

Before anyone starts a regimen with anti-inflammatories, they should clear it with their physician.
    pennsy likes this.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

11. #10 re: Pain from carrying your gun 
    I carried a gun on my left hip for 30 years as a cop and now cannot stand to even clip a cell phone to my belt. I'm limited to pocket carry, and only a light J frame or my LCP (J frame is my preference). Ankle rigs at my age (70) make no sense unless I'm dirving long distance and shoulder holsters bother my bad shoulder. I'm guessing you'll have plenty of company here. Getting old is not for sissies!
    keithdog likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads