Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Pain from carrying your gun

7K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  keithdog 
#1 ·
I'm posting this because it has become an issue for me in the past year and I'm thinking I am probably not alone. When carrying a hand gun on my right hip, I start experiencing discomfort after about an hour. My hip and lower back start to ache. Removing the gun lessons the pain, so I am linking gun carry to the pain. IWB causes the most discomfort, but there is also discomfort with OWB carry as well. Just not quite as bad. So I thought I would bring up this issue in the forums and see if there are others experiencing this issue, and if so, what has helped you?

#2 ·
Time for a smaller gun or pocket carry . We are at the age where everyday pains pop up and hang around . Ibuprofen gets me through the day . Hate to take them regularly but that is the reality of getting old . Anyone know of a dietary cure , I am all ears .

Reactions: RICHGCOOP
#3 ·
I carry IWB about 10 o'clock (I'm a lefty) opposite appendix. This is kinda a soft area with no bone. Works for me but it took a while to really get comfortable with it. Just part of concealed carry that takes some getting used to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: petergunn
#5 ·
Try 4 o'clock . The LC9s is slim and only 17 ozs. I have a holster from Comfort Holster who are part of Clinger Holster now . It has a gel covered with suede on the back of the kydex . It was my first and only IWB holster so I have nothing to compare to . The last time I looked , there was no listing of it anymore . I'll look again . It was slightly thicker because of the gel but felt OK against my skin without a tee under it .

#7 ·
A couple of things, change the angle you are carrying, pocket carry and the last thing get a heavy duty gun belt. What I mean by heavy duty, is good quality gun built that is designed to for carry all day. With that type of a gun belt should relieve your hip and back pain. :thumbup:

#8 · (Edited)
+1 on the gun belt idea. It made all the difference for me. I use a ratchet-style gun belt davevabch recommended. You can find it here:

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

PS: Be careful. Trakline belts come in 2 styles . . . gun belts and fashion belts. Fashion belts are cheaper, but they're not reinforced. Make sure you specify the gun belt when you order!

#9 ·
The problem with anti-inflammatories is that they're not good for the heart. And how long folks are on them doesn't seem to matter. A quick Google search will confirm that. I also speak from personal experience. I have chronic lower back pain due to arthritis and my physician took me off anti-inflammatories entirely due to my family's heart history. I manage my pain with stretching exercises and prescription pain medication.

Before anyone starts a regimen with anti-inflammatories, they should clear it with their physician.

#17 ·
I appreciate your points. There is a history of heart trouble in my family as well. Didn't know that about anti-inflammatories. My doctor who did my knee replacement put me on a cream for my knees. I've been looking on line at back exercises that are supposed to help relieve pain and strengthen the back.

#10 ·
I carried a gun on my left hip for 30 years as a cop and now cannot stand to even clip a cell phone to my belt. I'm limited to pocket carry, and only a light J frame or my LCP (J frame is my preference). Ankle rigs at my age (70) make no sense unless I'm dirving long distance and shoulder holsters bother my bad shoulder. I'm guessing you'll have plenty of company here. Getting old is not for sissies!

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
Ha! Leave it to you Dave to get to the core of the issue. You're so right. You see, my job for almost 30 years included carrying a tool pouch on my right hip which I have no doubt is partly responsible for my situation. Also, my right knee badly deteriorated from a high school football injury causing me to limp badly for years, throwing my back off with every step. I had knee replacement surgery in January that hopefully will help correct that part of the equation. And I've developed a gut I need to get rid of and am working on, thus the life style part of your post. Repetitive motions at work don't help either. So working on loosing weight, eating better, and motion exercises.

#20 ·
Let me suggest you think about a steel lined Big Foot Gun Belt. The 14oz version is what I use. I've seen several people remark that even though they were using a gun belt they still had pain but when they started using a Big Foot their pain went away. IMO they are reasonably priced for what you get and they do ship quickly. You should have a belt in about a week. They also run a $10 off sale every now and then.

Best Leather Gun Belts for Open and Concealed Carry | Bigfoot Gun Belts

#21 ·
The gunbelt I use is called a Mechanics Belt. Been using the same one for about 6 years now and still in great shape. They have no buckle but instead they use a inside hook latch system at the buckle site. Not for everyone but for me it's a winner! I don't have a link for them but you can google and check it out.

Reactions: keithdog
#25 ·
You're a lucky man, Dave. Some people don't do as well as you did following back surgery. And of course, some forms of chronic back pain such as arthritis are degenerative. For those folks, surgery may not be effective, PT can only slow down the process . . . not stop it, and some of the most popular drugs on the market used to treat back pain are potentially lethal.

In the final analysis, anyone who acts as their own physician in diagnosing and treating their back pain has a fool for a patient.

#27 ·
Many years ago I hurt my ankle on a cheater bar, digging out a tree stump. Immediate swelling and the nest day all swelling gone. But the ankle nagged me for some time. Went to orthopedic Dr. and x-ray showed I stretched a tendon around the inside of my ankle.

My crack physician told me--It might get better, it might get worse, or it could stay the same. I said you spent 8 years in med school to figure that out? I've never been to med school and had those 3 options figured out before I got there. He then said, I can do surgery on Friday if i wanted it. I told him I'd get back with him on that. 2 years later the pain went away.

#28 ·
See--------Drs. Know Best!

#34 ·
Glad you found a solution, the important thing is that you are still able to carry and protect yourself and your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.