Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c?

Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c?

This is a discussion on Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; Joenapper: "The safety flip phenomenon has happened with both my SR9c and my LC9s. SR9c is carried in a N82 pro kydex with a pretty ...

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    ETS
    Joenapper:
    "The safety flip phenomenon has happened with both my SR9c and my LC9s. SR9c is carried in a N82 pro kydex with a pretty good retention system and a full body backing. The LC9s is carried in a John Jackson Leatherworks custom holster with an integrated spare mag carrier. Both are very good holsters IMO. The SR9c safety flipped on two separate occasions and the LC9s once. The SR9c has an ambi safety meaning that it could have been flipped from either the side facing my body or facing out. I don't know. The LC9s has only a right handed safety meaning on the left side of the pistol (facing my body in the holster). The way the LC9s rides in the holster, the safety is exposed. I almost always wear a t-shirt between my skin and the holster. I carry at 4:00. Those are the facts. Anything beyond is speculation.

So, I speculate that the SR9c safety flips happened on the left handed safety (right side of gun - away from body) by brushing up against something or even maybe just tugging at my sweater or sweatshirt covering the gun. The SR9c just doesn't move enough in that tight retention system to move the safety IMO.

My guess for LC9s safety flip is that the safety is touching my t-shirt or bare skin and that I may have adjusted the holster and the pistol didn't move as quickly as the holster and the safety was moved that way I.e., the gun kind of stuck to me.

I'm in and out of the car several times a day and in and out of my desk chair even more. I suspect those are the most likely times for this to happen but have no proof.

I really don't know for sure how it happened or can't recall a specific event on those days to attribute the flip. All I absolutely know for sure is that it has happened to me 3x with 2 different gun in 2 different holsters.

I'm certain about the 3 occasions because I return my daily carry gun to the safe every night before bed. I always give it a quick looking over before putting them into the safe.

I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to carry. That's their business. All I'm trying to do is share my experience and what I consider the consequences to be."

(I agreed to help Joenaper move this entry from "New Ruger LCP II Concern" to a new thread, since I thought it sounded like an important observation/concern.)
    Last edited by ETS; 03-10-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    rayzer007 likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

2. #2 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    Thank you ETS. To be clear and provide the proper context. I was responding to a post that essentially said, "I carry with my safety off." My couple of posts on the other thread were in response because I personally don't think that's a safe practice. Not unsafe in that you'll get an ND but rather you may draw your weapon in an emergency and find the safety inadvertently flipped and you get a locked trigger rather than a bang when you need a bang in the worst way.

3. #3 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    ETS
    Frankly, I was somewhat interested in your statement/observation since I have noted that my LC9s's manual safety appeared to have worked its way partially "on" while carrying it for 12+ hrs. in a hybrid holster. In that situation, the left sided safety rests against the leather, inner portion of the holster (right hand carry). Have never experienced this using a well constructed all-kydex holster.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ETS View Post
    . . . I have noted that my LCps's manual safety appeared to have worked its way partially "on" while carrying it for 12+ hrs. in a hybrid holster.
    You mean your LC9s's manual safety, right? The LCP doesn't have a manual safety.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

6. #5 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    You mean your LC9s's manual safety, right? The LCP doesn't have a manual safety.
    Yeah--good call--correction made....thanks.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free

7. #6 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    You bet! :-)

For what it's worth, I think manufacturer's should go out of their way to PREVENT product confusion. Love it or hate it, for example, the Spectrum won't likely be confused with any other pistol in Taurus's lineup. And I'd say it deserves a thumbs-up on that basis alone. Whether it turns out to be worth a damn remains to be seen.
    Last edited by bld522; 03-11-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    ETS likes this.

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

8. #7 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    I think the uber point is that whether it's an edge case or something that happens frequently, carrying with the safety off and assuming it will stay in that position could be hazardous should you ned to draw and fire. My experiences, the 3x flips I've definitely experienced have convinced me that if the pistol has a safety, I'm going to use it and train that way. If the pistol doesn't have a safety, i may still sweep a phantom but at least I'm never going to find myself wondering why there wasn't a bang when I really needed to hear it. Everyone's mileage varies. I've got no problem, zero! with guns without safeties. This is not that argument. I also happen to like some guns with safeties and I don't want to be thinking about all of that if that time comes that I need to draw and fire in a SD situation. Even if I decided for some reason to carry with my safety off, I'd still train to sweep. My $.02.

9. #8 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    There's no arguing the value of repeatability and muscle memory, Joe. The problem comes when an action you've become proficient with doesn't work the way you expect it to. Not all safeties operate alike. As far as carrying a SD pistol that either (1) doesn't have a safety, (2) doesn't provide some other feature that operates like a safety, or (3) has a safety I consider to be unsafe, I just won't do that. But as you say, everybody's mileage varies.

Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

10. #9 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    Here are my experiences. When the SR9c came out I would carry it with the safety on. Also the same week of that purchase I started shooting IDPA competition. I was really green. The first match was 7 stages and about 130 rounds total. I was consciously shooting, meaning I would think about every move that was required. Every single action took full concentration. At the end of the match I was exhausted but never had that much fun!
    I was competing with the safety off, and a round chambered for the start of each stage. I will never forget what happened on my second match. It was a scenario where the shooter was ambushed. I drew my weapon and it would not fire! It took me a good 3 to 4 seconds to figure out what was wrong. The safety was on! In real life I would be dead!
    Now, years later all my weapons are handled and shot subconsciously. Life is great! Part of my draw with any handgun is to thumb the safety off. Even my LCP. It is automatic among with all other aspects of shooting including reloading, aiming, clearing jams, etc. If something out of the ordinary comes up the conscious mind quickly takes over.
    Conscious thought is for making decisions, looking behind the threat, verbal communications, etc. Not for weapon manipulation. My opinion.

If my weapon has a safety I may as well have it on because it will be swept off automatically when the weapon was drawn from the holster.
    I'm sure many shooters also run their weapons this way and haven't thought about it. Denny
    davevabch likes this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

11. #10 Re: Manual safety changed while carrying LC9s & SR9c? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Same here, Just totally natural. It would not bother me one bit to have a safety on a LCP. I really would not own the SR9C or LC9S without a safety. After so many years of training with a safety, I feel naked without one. A Glock would drive me totally insane
    Ditto that. Im just like Dave and Denny. Every pistol I own with a safety has a safety lever on the left side that needs to be in the down position to fire except my SR22. That gun is up for off position (was told that it has to do with fitting a decocker in that small form factor). So sweeping is second nature for me. A safety on an LCP wouldn't bother me one bit. The fact that the DA on my Custom does not have a safety does not bother me. I pretend it's there. I have a Glock 17 as well but don't carry or holster it - range only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    davevabch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads