Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design

This is a discussion on Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; Slow day today, but there was a Gun Show at the National Guard Armory. So a friend and I went off to see what was ...

Thread: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design

1. #1 Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 

Slow day today, but there was a Gun Show at the National Guard Armory. So a friend and I went off to see what was doing. Not a lot of WWII weapons, ammunition or collectable stuff. No ammo for the Japanese Nambu Type 94 8 mm but I did get a line on where to get some.

Loads of hunting rifles, shotguns, AR-15s the modern stuff. But the prices were through the roof. Some guy was walking around with a chromed, Ruger Mini 14, wanting $1,100. No apparent takers, that period was over last month. There was one lever action, Winchester from around 1873 but for $10,000. I let it ride.

Regarding ammunition. 22LR Remington 525 Golden Bullet Value Pack $70.00, with 100 rounds of boxes of CCI 22LR for $19.00. Prices were just nuts. But no surprise.

Surprisingly enough there were loads of firearms from companies like Cobra, Jimenez and Davis.

I ran into a Raven Arms Industry Model MP-25 Raven, owned by Bruce Jennings, and havenít made them since their factory burned down in 1991. Their machinery got bought by Phoenix Arms, which was owned by family members, friends, ex-business partners or whoever. Do some research for Davis and youíll get the picture. This one had genuine Mother of Plastic grips.

I got a really good price on it, since the gun show was closing for the day.

Iíve taken a Cobra 380 apart so doing this one wasnít going to be much of a challenge. It was used and hadnít been cleaned up very well but. I got it done.

I ran into this fellow on you tube who outlined a real quick field strip.

Range trip sometime next week. Iíll round up some .25 ACP ammo and maybe have at it. Not a lot of plans for this one. If you own a Cobra 380, buying a Raven 25 ACP is like buying its Granddad for a historical perspective. Jennings was Mr. Saturday Night Specials back in his day.When the Gun Control Act of 1968 got passed it banned the imports of small, inexpensive handguns by requiring foreign made hand guns sold in the US to meet strict standards on size, weight, materials and safety features. Old school manufacturers (Colt & W&W) supported it and lost some competition.

Since these standards didnít apply to US manufacturers, Jennings, who was running a machine shop making, parts for the aerospace industry had an epiphany. LGSs and Pawn Shops who were used to selling 500 or more a month of the cheap imports wanted some replacements. Jennings went into production and sold an estimated 2 Million of .25 Caliber guns in 20 years.

So there is some history in this little midget, mouse gun. Iím sticking to 380s and larger calibers. Just in case.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

2. #2 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    I've had this one since 1972.
    Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-raven.jpg
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Mike
    http://www.greenlawnsports.com

3. #3 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    You always manage to come across some real interesting guns. And we benefit by getting the photos and information about them. I really enjoy reading everyone. Will be watching for that range report.

4. #4 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    A lot of folks knock the .25 ACP. I think they are pretty cool. Very small and a great pocket gun. Better than having nothing. On par with a .22LR...sometimes. LOL Beretta still makes the Model 21 Bobcat in both .22LR & .25 ACP.
    Colt 1911 in the nightstand...Elsie in my pocket!

5. #5 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    Looks exactly like my Davis Industries P380. Mine is having cocking issues, and there isn't enough time nor ammo to figure it out.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

6. #6 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    Quote Originally Posted by codegeek View Post
    Looks exactly like my Davis Industries P380. Mine is having cocking issues, and there isn't enough time nor ammo to figure it out.
    Considering the history of Davis Industry along with the Cobra 380 and a few other companies that modeled their design after the Raven MP-25 that's no surprise.

Cocking issues? Have you tried a disassembly beyond a field stripping for cleaning? Like the Raven the Sear assembly is the key to holding everything thing in place, along with the grips on the Davis/Cobra. Do some research, and study then pop the firearm apart and re-seat every thing. There are loads of things to look at and getting it all lined back up requires some work.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

7. #7 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-cobra-ruger-raven.jpg

Hereís a Cobra 380, Ruger LCP 380 and the Raven MP-25.

Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-disassemly-1redu.jpg

Left click photo with Mouse to enlarge.

After I reassembled the Raven from her first cleaning, the safety was really stiff. So I disassembled it again, only further.

Looking things over and after some reading had at it. Like the COBRA 380 reassembly centers around the Sear Assembly. Place the spring in first, and then press it down with the left thumb. Take the Safety, machined stamped, on the right side, pressing it into place. Then replace the grip cover. The grips play a big part on holding the mechanisms on both sides in place.

Still keeping the Sear Assembly pressed down; place the Cam or Sear Plate on the top left side. Check the position of the Disconnector, it goes below this plate. Replace the right grip cover and tighten the screw. Release the Sear Assembly with your thumb.

Check the slide out and make sure the firing pin is inserted, followed by the Striker Spring and the Retainer. Put the Recoil Spring back into place. Place the Slide Assembly over the Barrel and pull rearward until it can be dropped down onto the Frame. Be gentle about it, since the safety and all those other parts are made out of an aluminum alloy they arenít tolerating a lot of slamming around.

Mr. Jennings started out making aircraft parts and when he jumped to making inexpensive firearms he wasnít beyond cutting a few corners. The flat safety I have on mine was changed in later models.

8. #8 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    A lot of folks knock the .25 ACP. I think they are pretty cool. Very small and a great pocket gun. Better than having nothing. On par with a .22LR...sometimes. LOL Beretta still makes the Model 21 Bobcat in both .22LR & .25 ACP.
    Years ago I was looking for a BUG for a Sig P-239. I checked out loads of .22LRs, .25 ACPs, and 380s. I bought the Ruger LCP and so far so good. Now I've started buying some of the stuff from the late 60's and 70's that I passed on back then. More of a Curio/Relic thing. But should make for some fun on the range. Stamps would have been easier but less fun.

Sure they beat sticks and stones, but most folks who can't or will not spend the bucks for the more expensive have bought millions of these little gals.

9. #9 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    I have the Raven Arms P25 and I also have an unfired Davis P32 from 1966 and a Bauer 25
    Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-p32.jpgRaven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-raven.jpgRaven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design-bauer.jpg
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Mike
    http://www.greenlawnsports.com

10. #10 Re: Raven Arms Model MP-25: Mr. Saturday Night Special's First Design 
    Quote Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
    I have the Raven Arms P25 and I also have an unfired Davis P32 from 1966 and a Bauer 25
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P32.jpg 
Views:	1452 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	4273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raven.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	4274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bauer.jpg 
Views:	1208 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	4275
    That's a nice trio of pocket pistols you have there. Thanks for the look.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads