I shot the new Ruger LC380

This is a discussion on I shot the new Ruger LC380 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; Went to the Marksman in Akron Ohio yesterday. I can believe the number of people that was there 30 minutes before it opened waiting in ...

Thread: I shot the new Ruger LC380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Went to the Marksman in Akron Ohio yesterday. I can believe the number of people that was there 30 minutes before it opened waiting in the cold to get in. Anyways Wife and I met our friend and her son-in-law there , she bought the LC380 2 weeks ago and I got to shoot it. WOW it is a really sweet shooter. The recoil is very soft, I don't know how else to explain it. I liked everything about it. My friend did not like my LCP for the recoil, she took a gun class last year and new she didn't like the recoil from 9's, 38's ect. She was head set on getting a .22lr for home defense. 2 weeks ago and the Fin she had the Sig Mosquito and the M&P .22 laying on the counter trying to decide on which one to get and I seen the LC380 in the next case over and asked the salesman to set that beside the 2 .22's. After some convincing from me and the salesman (luckily he was a retired LEO) we talked her in to the LC380. Yesterday at the range was the first time she got to shoot it. She limp wristed once on the first mag then the rest of the day it was flawless. She said that she was so happy she listen to me and the salesman and didn't get the .22. She absolutley loves this gun (can't blame her it is sweet). Thats one up for the new LC380. Good job Ruger.

I just shot 2 of mine that day, my SR22PB sent 100 flawless rounds of Blazer lead tip bulk down range. That thing just doesn't quit. Put another 10 rounds down range with my Taurus M605 .357 snubby, I love shooting that little revolver. All in all a good day. Life is good.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

2. #2 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Thanks for the report, RR. Some people have questioned Ruger's logic for the LC380, but you laid out several good reasons in your post...particularly the recoil factor. I can see where the weapon would be a good fit in a number of scenarios. You did well in the recommendation for your friend.
    Ruger Security Six, Ruger Mark III, Ruger SR9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SP101, Ruger LC9

3. #3 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    ...good job getting her going in the right direction, RR. I was skeptical about the LC380 early on. However, I finally realized that Ruger had carved itself into a special niche with the little guy. Word gets out fast amongst the ladies when a fellow shooter is pleased with a new gun. It''s be a building process, but Ruger will simply be patient and soon reap the benefits of their venture capital as it catches on.

Thx for the report.

Hank

4. #4 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Thanks, I see this as a special needs gun for the people who physically can't do recoil well and women who just can't control recoil. With the new .380 SD ammo out today IMHO this is a great pistol for them. I worked with this lady for over a year and everything she shot she converted back to the .22lr. She explained her new LC380 as it had some recoil but it doesn't hurt and she can control it. She has small hands and arthritis in her shoulders as well. I am very happy it worked out for her and definitely feel better she is not counting on a .22lr for home defense, plus if she does get her CCW she already will have a great carry piece. My words to her right after I shot it at the range was the recoil felt like a cloud.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

5. #5 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    New User
    I also bought my wife a LC380 recently. I went to the range a few weeks ago and put 100 rounds through it to break it in. No issues at all. I really enjoyed shooting it myself. I was not as accurate with it as my SR9c but i chalked it up to my experience level with "my" gun.

She got to shoot it this past weekend and was popping cans in the air at 25 ft with her first shot. She is new to shooting and really liked the way it shot. It felt "right" for her. This is obviously not the "right" gun for everyone but for the people who it is "right" now have a gun they can shoot with confidence.

For the record, my wife did not like my SR9c but did like my old P95 which is actually a larger gun.

For those who have not shot the LC380 and say they would never buy it when the LC9 is readily available to them please keep in mind that the LC380 was not made with you in mind.

6. #6 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Sounds like a good little shooter. Thanks for the report. You are first person I have heard from that has actually shot one.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

7. #7 I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Is the LC380 trigger similar to the LC9?

8. #8 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Quote Originally Posted by gwgw60 View Post
    Is the LC380 trigger similar to the LC9?
    I never shot the LC9 but the LC380 does have the long trigger pull. I have a LCP and know what a long trigger pull is.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

9. #9 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Thanks for the review, RugerRon. My wife is a bit recoil sensitive. She loves shooting her .22's but never liked any of my 9's. She could shoot my P-32 ok, but didn't like how small it was. She agreed that she needed a bigger caliber other than the .22's but didn't know what to get. She ended up finding that she likes her now SD psitol - Bersa Thunder 380. She says it has quite a bit more recoil than her .22's (obviously), but she can manage it and with the time spent with it so far she is getting pretty accurate and comfortable with it. I need to let her know about the LC380 for another alternative to her Bersa. It sounds like she might like it even better. The only factor I can see that she might not like is the DAO trigger. She has mentioned that she really like the short SA trigger on her others and did not the longer, heavier pulls of my DAO's. I know that could change with time in on one.

10. #10 Re: I shot the new Ruger LC380 
    Bought a LC380 for similar reasons - the LC9 we already have is too hard for my wife to rack, and the recoil puts her off. I took the new LC380 to the range for the first time today, and even though our LC9 is a favorite with me, and I can hit accurately at 15 yards after taking it to the range 10 times in the past year, I was really impressed with the LC 380.

Yeah, its recoil is comfy, but what impressed me was how much more accurate I was with it at 15 yards. Anybody have a solid sense as to why my accuracy is so much better when shooting the LC380?
    Last edited by starter; 02-09-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads