Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One.

This is a discussion on Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; The pistol seems to have eclipsed the .38 special revolver for many reasons, some sound and some not. It could be argued that the pistol ...

Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    The pistol seems to have eclipsed the .38 special revolver for many reasons, some sound and some not. It could be argued that the pistol is superior to the revolver in all but one area - reliability. A decade or so ago, this might have been a point that went without question, but pistols have a come a long way and their reliability is now pretty much on par with revolvers.

I've carried a snubby for years, a Taurus Model 85, but recently really wanted to buy an LC9. Since I've got a neurotic need to rationalize my purchases, I convinced myself that my eye-sight was not what it was years ago so I needed a gun with better sights. The LC9 has much better sights than my snubby, so I bought it. (The snubby really isn't cool, either since the "modern" snubby is really old school and has been around in one form or another since the 1920's). However, the truth is that even without my glasses I am more than accurate enough with my Model 85 at the distances that it was designed to cover - 3 to 10 yards. It's also rugged as hell and reliable as the day is long... almost 100 years later, all they're managed to "improve" on the snubby is making it out of lighter materials and smoothing-out the trigger pull (which is still heavy when compared to any pistol other than a Walther PPK/S or the Polish P-64).

But to the point of this post and the .38 special snubby/revolver: the recent ammo shortage has driven home a point that I hadn't really considered about my uninspiring snubby - the availability of ammunition. The shelves are awash in .38 special ammo, be it range ammo or self-defense ammo. Granted, effective .38spcl self-defense ammo designed for a snubby is a lot harder to find than good self-defense ammo for an LC9 or other 9x19 pistol, but it is still there and brands like Federal Nyclad, Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, and Winchester PDX come readily to mind. Self-defense ammo for a full-sized revolver? Well, there are a whole lot more options. .38 special ammo, however, is always going to be a bit more expensive than 9x19 ammo. But right now, price isn't that big of an option since it becomes irrelevant that 9x19 ammo is cheaper if it's not available.

The powers that be have come to realize that fear sells a lot of ammo, and brisk sales earn huge profits so you can fully expect that there are always gonna be boogie men on the horizon to keep the cash cow pumping. However, if we all keep a revolver in the arsenal to have ready to pull duty when our favorite pistol ammo is scarce then we will all have a buffer to protect us. But just a word to the wise, if you do go with a snubby then put in the range time to stay proficient on it - a short barreled weapon with only five rounds requires that you be pretty handy with those five rounds.

Which snubby would I recommend? Really, any of major brands (Ruger, Smiff, Taurus, Charter, or Rossi) put out a decent product but I'd stick with either Ruger, Taurus, or Smiff just cuz I believe that they are better made. The manual of arms on a revolver is pretty dang simple, and there is no obscenely expensive science project required to figure out which ammo your revolver will reliably feed. However, my Taurus does not like the primers used on Monarch ammo and I imagine other brands of revolvers might have a similar issue.

Anyhow, if you want to significantly lessen the odds that you will be left without ammo cuz others are hoarding, then I think you ought to give the humble old revolver a thought. As a snubby fan, I promise you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Roy Odhner; 12-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.

2. #2 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    Have one...... a S&W Bodyguard .38. Just put a hogue grip on it.
    Roy Odhner likes this.

3. #3 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueLCP View Post
    Have one...... a S&W Bodyguard .38. Just put a hogue grip on it.
    Very nice gun. Any shortage of .38spcl ammo in your area?

4. #4 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    The two calibers I've seen a lot of still are 38 special and 357 magnum, in all varieties. It had me thinking quite a bit about purchasing a revolver again.
    Roy Odhner likes this.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

5. #5 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    I'd never part with my 38, a pre-model number airweight. Have a pretty good stock of ammunition for it so I haven't checked the local situation.

During the last great ammo shortage in '08 I found the situation pretty much the opposite of what you are seeing. I could find 9mm and .45 locally with a little effort, but couldn't find any .38 anywhere. Finally ordered some online, but even that was tough because so many places were out of stock.

I was out yesterday and one local shop had large tables setup with 9mm. .45 and .380. Plenty in stock and decent prices. The ammo case at the Wal-mart was pretty wiped out though...this is in Henderson County, not too far from you.

Chuck
    Last edited by GringoPistolero; 12-23-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: puncuation
    Roy Odhner likes this.

6. #6 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    We had a bug match (IDPA) a few months back. 70 rounds total. 7 stages and each had 2, 5 shot strings. Shooting started with the weapon at the low ready position. No pocket draw for safety reasons.
    I shot my LCP, there was an LCR, an sp101, some other snubby with an exposed hammer, and 2 SR9c's and thats all I remember in our group. The fellow with the LCR and I both confessed to each other how we trained heavy when the weapons were new but neither one of us were as current as we should be. The first stages were tough on both of us and the guys that had a hammer to cock made better shots but took way more time. About half way through we both remembered how to shoot our little bug guns and were making good hits. It's not so easy shooting at 15 yards while walking or on your belly weak hand around cover of a car tire. Or how about shooting strong hand and the other is holding a dog leash that is trying to pull you. At the end of the match we shot well and really had fun. I shot 50 rounds of fmj's and the rest my carry ammo. No issues.

This day an LCP shot against an LCR and he beat me by just a little. No but's Denny
    Roy Odhner likes this.
    "We do not rise to our level of expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Jeff Cooper

7. #7 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    Quote Originally Posted by 192278
    Very nice gun. Any shortage of .38spcl ammo in your area?
    It appears at the current time .38spcl. ammo is still available. At least the stores I've been in.
    Roy Odhner likes this.

8. #8 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    I missed the point of the discussion, LOL

One thing I have noticed is that every hardware store and even some markets always has 38spcl ammo. Den
    Roy Odhner likes this.
    "We do not rise to our level of expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Jeff Cooper

9. #9 Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    38 Spl is pretty much sol out in my area this weekend, both range and defensive rounds. Except for one brand of 357 magnum FMJ, this caliber was sold out too. The most available right now seems to be 40 cal.

10. #10 Re: Gat a Revolver? You Might Want to Get One. 
    My 4" stainless Security Six is my favorite handgun...period. Love my SP101...or, I should say, my wife's. Can't say I love my .38 LCR, but it fills the bill for a 38 cal. snubby.
    Roy Odhner likes this.
    Ruger Security Six, Ruger Mark III, Ruger SR9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SP101, Ruger LC9

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads