FYI Ruger SR22 Issues

This is a discussion on FYI Ruger SR22 Issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; I haven't seen a thread here regarding issues a few owners of the SR22 are having. Here is a list of issues that have come ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I haven't seen a thread here regarding issues a few owners of the SR22 are having. Here is a list of issues that have come up around the net regarding the new Ruger SR22. Hopefully this will help in assessing your pistol. Ruger will fix all issues or replace the pistol.

1. A number of pistols were shipped with a loose barrel screw. If the pistol is fired with a loose barrel the centering lug will immediately damage the underside of the barrel. Apparently the pistol does not come with an Allen wrench for tightening the screw and the one listed in the manual is the wrong size. I forget the correct size.

2. Some barrels are just bad and are being replaced. Folks with these barrels report that their pistol will not group. Ruger is replacing the barrel free of charge of course.

3. The slide stop arm presses up against the left bottom side of the slide when the final round is removed from the magazine. If the top edge is sharp or becomes sharp due to peening of the metal from hitting the hardened stop pin then the finish and a little metal can be removed from the underside of the slide. This won't hurt anything but those of you that want minimum wear lightly polish the edge that drags along the slide.

4. Apparently a number of folks are having problems with their mags locking in even with a sharp rap on the bottom. Others are having the mag drop while firing. Ruger is replacing the locking mechanism.

5. A number of folks are reporting jams especially with a round being stripped from the mag and then being caught in the side by the face of the breech. This causes some pretty serious indentations. Some of these are ammo related, some due to a dirty pistol/magazine, some are going back to the factory.

6. Some people report that the interchangeable grip is really difficult to remove, other owners have said that if the grip is squeezed in a bit it flexes and makes removal much easier.

7. The take down lever has broken on quite a few pistols. Ruger at present does not have a newly redesigned part to address this issue and is simply installing a new lever of the same type. Some last as little as 90 rounds, some never break. Some owners are installing a #83 O ring purchased at Lowes over the guide rod and spring as a precaution until Ruger comes up with a revised part.

8. A taller magazine spring retaining nub was installed in the magazine for some reason. I've never read of any magazine spring issues.

All in all most shooters really give the pistol a very favorable report, even those with issues once they are resolved. Many owners aren't reporting any issues. I'm waiting until Ruger gets these bugs out just like I did with the LCP. My 373 series got the feed ramp polished, the face of the lug under the barrel where the guide rod head hits polished and has been running 100% for 3,000 rounds now. M1911

2. #2 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Members here have reported the loose barrel issue, the slide stop rubbing and the takedown thing breaking.

I'm like you, I'll wait until Ruger figures it out before I buy one. Plus I need to save some $$$$

3. #3 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Last .22 I bought was the Sig 1911, which I absolutely love. That, combined with my recent habit of spending all my money fixing up an old boat, is keeping me from buying one.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

4. #4 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I bought one less than a month ago and I love it! I've already been to the range 4 times and I'm shooting the heck out of it. I knew there were some early problems (hadn't heard all that were listed). If I do encounter a problem I have complete confidence that Ruger will make it right. If I have to be without while it's at SRS it's not that big of a deal, it's not my EDC. In the mean time I'm really enjoying shooting cheap 22lr ammo and satisfying my shooting habit. Seriously, thanks for listing the possible trouble spots and what to look out for.
    "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!" From the movie, "Blazing Saddles"
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger SR22PB

5. #5 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    Members here have reported the loose barrel issue, the slide stop rubbing and the takedown thing breaking. I'm like you, I'll wait until Ruger figures it out before I buy one. Plus I need to save some $$$$
    Well I saved some cash and have 160 rounds thru with no issue

6. #6 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    1917-1911M... Were you involved in putting the Walther P22 Bible together? Excellent work regardless.

7. #7 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Just passed 1500 rounds through the SR22 with no real problems. I've found a couple brands of ammo that either aren't as accurate or cause some FTFs. My pistol doesn't like Remington UMC stuff has caused a few FTFs and seems to foul the pistol more than most others I've tried. The gun does like to be cleaned more often than my Browning Buckmark though. The Browning can go for a lot of time without serious cleaning but the SR seems to like the crud cleaned out ever couple hundred rounds. The pistol does seem to get residues in more places than any other pistols I have. Still, all in all it's a great little plinker.

8. #8 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    1917-1911M. Went to Home Depot to pick up a #83 O Ring. Can you explain how and why it works? I tried and the O Ring travels down over the guide rod and spring.

9. #9 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Just purchased an sr22 this morning. Took it home, cleaned oiled and went to the range. Love the pistol. Had a problem with one mag on the second or third round no matter what the ammo. The previous round would eject, a new round loaded, but the hammer/trigger were not cocked. Despite pulling the slide back to loand the next round, the pistol still would not cock. I simply put the other mag in and the pistol ran off 150+ rounds with no problems. I did not think to try manually cocking the hammer on the failed second round. I will do that the next time I go to the range tomorrow or the day after. I will also try loading the mag per instructions here.

The sr22 is a joy to shoot. very low recoil and a very nice, light single action trigger. It seems to be shooting about 2 inches down and to the right at 25 feet But that could have been me. I will bench rest it next time at the range. Sight adjustment looks very easy.

I plan to use this as my home defense pistol. Can anyone recommend a hollow point that the pistol likes. It seems to like most ammo. I fired CCI mini-mag and Remington Viper with no problems other than with the one mag.

BTW, is this why Ruger sells the pistol with two mags.

10. #10 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I have a lubrication question. I have been placing a drop of lube at four spots on the slide rails mush as I do with my S&W Bodyguard 380. I also put a drop of lube on the top of the fixed barrel. Is this sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads