FYI Ruger SR22 Issues

This is a discussion on FYI Ruger SR22 Issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; Originally Posted by Meirbubba 1917-1911M. Went to Home Depot to pick up a #83 O Ring. Can you explain how and why it works? I ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Quote Originally Posted by Meirbubba View Post
    1917-1911M. Went to Home Depot to pick up a #83 O Ring. Can you explain how and why it works? I tried and the O Ring travels down over the guide rod and spring.
    You got it already. The Oring just cushions the takedown lever from the slide. I tried to install a smaller one on the rod, which didn't work.

2. #12 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Discovered what the problem was with one of the mags the pistol came with. After a round or two the mag simply did not stay up in the pistol to keep the mag safety off. I exchanged it for a new mag at my LGS, and all is well. Wonderful gun to shoot. The single action trigger is a dream. I was shooting ten shots rapid fire at 20 feet with grouping of a three inches. If you don't have one yet, BUY THIS PISTOL!!!

3. #13 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Banned
    Thanks for your post. I just posted my video review of the SR22 and have had nothing but a good experience with it. Mine was made on July 13. Let me respond to each of your points with my experience.

1. Screw tight, not loose. Did not loosed up even after 300 rounds of CCI Stinger.

2. Barrel is working just fine, so far. I'm getting better groups with the SR22 than any pistol in a larger caliber. It's way more accurate than I am, at this point.

3. No slide issue.

4. No mag issue.

5. No feed issues ... and besides, we all know that these issues are nearly 99.9% of the time an ammo problem, not a gun problem.

6. Grip just required force to remove it, no big deal. I applied too much force and wrapped my knuckles on the edge of my workbench. Ouch. Not an issue.

7. No issues with take down.

8. Magazines have loaded and performed flawlessly.
    Count me as one of the "many owners not reporting problems."

Quote Originally Posted by 193. N17-1911M View Post
    I haven't seen a thread here regarding issues a few owners of the SR22 are having. Here is a list of issues that have come up around the net regarding the new Ruger SR22. Hopefully this will help in assessing your pistol. Ruger will fix all issues or replace the pistol.

1. A number of pistols were shipped with a loose barrel screw. If the pistol is fired with a loose barrel the centering lug will immediately damage the underside of the barrel. Apparently the pistol does not come with an Allen wrench for tightening the screw and the one listed in the manual is the wrong size. I forget the correct size.

2. Some barrels are just bad and are being replaced. Folks with these barrels report that their pistol will not group. Ruger is replacing the barrel free of charge of course.

3. The slide stop arm presses up against the left bottom side of the slide when the final round is removed from the magazine. If the top edge is sharp or becomes sharp due to peening of the metal from hitting the hardened stop pin then the finish and a little metal can be removed from the underside of the slide. This won't hurt anything but those of you that want minimum wear lightly polish the edge that drags along the slide.

4. Apparently a number of folks are having problems with their mags locking in even with a sharp rap on the bottom. Others are having the mag drop while firing. Ruger is replacing the locking mechanism.

5. A number of folks are reporting jams especially with a round being stripped from the mag and then being caught in the side by the face of the breech. This causes some pretty serious indentations. Some of these are ammo related, some due to a dirty pistol/magazine, some are going back to the factory.

6. Some people report that the interchangeable grip is really difficult to remove, other owners have said that if the grip is squeezed in a bit it flexes and makes removal much easier.

7. The take down lever has broken on quite a few pistols. Ruger at present does not have a newly redesigned part to address this issue and is simply installing a new lever of the same type. Some last as little as 90 rounds, some never break. Some owners are installing a #83 O ring purchased at Lowes over the guide rod and spring as a precaution until Ruger comes up with a revised part.

8. A taller magazine spring retaining nub was installed in the magazine for some reason. I've never read of any magazine spring issues.

All in all most shooters really give the pistol a very favorable report, even those with issues once they are resolved. Many owners aren't reporting any issues. I'm waiting until Ruger gets these bugs out just like I did with the LCP. My 373 series got the feed ramp polished, the face of the lug under the barrel where the guide rod head hits polished and has been running 100% for 3,000 rounds now. M1911

4. #14 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Banned
    Wanted to add something else. When I got my SR22 out of the box and operated it, it felt stiff and I could hear grating, just didn't feel smooth.

Applied my favorite lubricant for all my weapons: TW25 grease and there was an immediate and noticeable improvement.

Be sure to apply lubricant to the barrel and to the place where the barrel moves in the slide.

Always best to apply more, than less.

5. #15 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    New User
    I've bought SR22 about 20 days back and so far have fired about 150 rounds through it. Really like it...so far no issues; only thing I've noticed is that after only about 150 cci mini mags, debris seems to spread around in all sorts of places in SR22. I dont think I can blame the ammo - CCI mini mags are great - have others also noticed this when cleaning their SR22s?

Thanks,

6. #16 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    New User
    I purchased the sr22 a couple months ago. I have about 300rds through it with no issues. Stripped it when I got it, lubed it, shoots quite consistently, but a bit low. Adjusted the sights & it's spot on. I just saw the issue with the takedown lever, so I thought I'd look into it. I'll just keep my eye out for an upgrade for that. The rest seem to be good to go.

(CCI Velocitors or MiniMags for defense)

7. #17 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I cleaned my SR22 last night after 200 rounds of CCI Blazer, I might have missed something, but it was fairly clean to start with.

8. #18 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I usually put 100-150 rounds in on mine and I clean it after I shoot it every time. Just a minor cleaning is needed. Stays pretty clean.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

9. #19 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    I recently purchased my SR22-CT and have put 350 rds of CCI Blazer with no problems, as you say this gun is a pleasure to shoot, the wife and I love it....

10. #20 Re: FYI Ruger SR22 Issues 
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Coyotes View Post
    1917-1911M... Were you involved in putting the Walther P22 Bible together? Excellent work regardless.
    Yes and no. I have a million posts on the P22 over at Rimfire Central. Way, way back I bought a P22 5"er, wore it out in 4,000 rounds. Plenty of oil and grease. Ooops, zinc slide and frame rails wore rapidly even with cleaning. As the parts wore, the slide lifted. First it stopped cocking the hammer, fixed that with a little hammer cock notch work, then it lifted so much the slides stop wouldn't reach high enough to catch the slide. Fixed that. By 8,000 rounds it was history. Then for the fun of it I bought another, disassembled it, measured everything with a micrometer, washed all of the oil and grease off, applied dry powdered moly to wear points and began shooting. remington Golden bullets mostly. Cleaning and measuring every 500 rounds. bad ejection direction was corrected by hammering the tip of the extractor in to reduce the gap between it and the rim. reshaped the top, front edge of the trigger bar ears. Re-profiled the hammer to remove the tip that cought in the small gap between the rear of the breech block and the safety drum. Determined that the trigger bar spring could be overwound if you pulled the trigger while the frame was out of the grip, and if you unwound it you would restore DA function, fired and fired and fired. At over 25,000 rounds there was only finish wear. Nothing a digital caliper could measure. At some point someone took some of my threads and put them together into the so called bible and spread em all over the net. Fortunately, I got most of it right but I've gone way beyond that in recent years. The latest mod involves reprofiling the safety drum and the rear of the breech block so that the cocked hammer doesn't even touch the slide on the way forward.

Along the way I encountered Daniel Rieger, chief of engineering for Walther small arms. We go back and forth about this and that. They won't make all the changes I want and some of the mods they've attempted and screwed em up. They finally re-profiled the hammer face to eliminate the tip but got the angle wrong. It is good when the hammer isn't under the slide but the slide presses the hammer down appx 0.020" which tilts up the front face of the re-profile which still creates a tip that catches. I re-profiled the lower lip of the chamber entrance. walther finally did that one but chamfered the entire chamber entrance. Where the extractor cut exists, this caused the metal to be too thin and the extractor cracked the metal off on a number of barrels including my '09 pistol. Daniel heard about that pronto. Walther wouldn't change the extractor even though I did a number of threads on it, other folks did the same thing and everyone said this fixes poor ejection direction, why doesn't Walther fix this? So, I sent all the stuff to Nick at VQ and asked them to make us some proper extractors. They did. Then Walther finally decided they better get with it. If they haven't fixed the cracking slide issue with the new P22Q model......I'm going to give up on them.

For years we discussed a method of buffering. This compact pistol leaves few options. I tried some O rings, #83 from Lowes fits over the guide rod and over the recoil spring. On the P22 the bottom of the muzzle cup hits the polymer take down lever. None have ever failed but the slide has and right where you would expect it.....above the muzzle cup. The O ring is simply a floating rubber buffer. I have over 4,000 rounds on one. You buy 10 for about $2.50. I've never broken a slide but my pistol is so modified the slide really hammers back. Rubber buffer.

Then I was reading about the SR22 which in some regards is very similar to the P22. The barrel, guide rod, take down lever, etc. are almost exactly the same. Only the aluminum slide isn't cracking...the polymer take down lever is. One difference is the P22 lever is solid polymer. The SR22 has a spring and plunger installed in the center. It isn't holding up for some shooters. The SR22 lever is also thinner than the P22s but the O ring fits the same. The idea is to place a free floating rubber O ring over the guide rod and let it get compressed between the muzzle cup and take down lever. Will a rubber buffer here help. I don't know. Haven't bought a SR22 yet. My policy is to not buy any firearm until it has been on the market for a year. My 373 series LCP has not had one issue in 3,000 rounds. So, I suggested at Rimfire, Ruger section that the guys try installing an O ring. Inexpensive, can't see it, slide still moves far enough rearward to pick up the next round, slide stop still works and the slide can be removed with it in place. 25 cents. Why not. So, a number of shooters have installed them and no broken levers since. Did it help....who knows. Ruger will get it sorted out and that is what I'm waiting for. Can't wait much longer though....... and just gave my OD P22 to my sister... Now I need something new and I know what it's going to be.. Do these things come in OD yet. M1911

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads