Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info

This is a discussion on Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; I've seen videos of our troops in the Middle East unloading their rifles with the barrel pointed into a bullet trap which appears to be ...

Thread: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info

1. #1 Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    I've seen videos of our troops in the Middle East unloading their rifles with the barrel pointed into a bullet trap which appears to be a steel tube. I would like to hear more information about these bullet traps - size, thickness of the steel, what may be inside them, etc. Does anyone here have experience with these bullet traps? I'd like to build a few.

Thanks.
    Skip Douglas

2. #2 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    SkipD,

Here is the link to the company that makes the one we have at the police department.

http://www.snailtraps.com/bullettraps/

We use the Mini Check It, that is the model.

Hope this helps

Kevin
    Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR .357, Glock 22, Glock 27, Sig P290, Colt 1911 WWI,

Remington 870, Ruger M77 Ultra Light 30-06, T/C Triumph .50 cal Muzzleloader, Mauser 98K WWII. S&W M&P AR15, DPMS LR308

3. #3 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    Thanks for that, Kevin. Unfortunately, I don't think my better half would want one in the basement.

What I've seen on television appears to be a tube that's about five inches in diameter and maybe eighteen inches long. The troops in the video pointed their rifles into it while clearing ammo out before going into their mess hall.
    Skip Douglas

4. #4 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    One of my gunsmith buddies has one. It is 6" diameter with 1/2" wall thickness by 2 ' long. Has sand 18" deep. Works great.

5. #5 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    That sounds about like what I saw. Thanks.
    Skip Douglas

6. #6 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    ...Skip, a friend has one like you described. He built his after recording specs from one at a range where LEO's practice. Unfortunately, commercial clearing traps are quite expensive, as you'll note here:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ps....~080300~080302

His is fabricated like the one for $219 (PLE-STK KIT)...but he's also a master with cutting, welding and tig rigs.

Tarheel

7. #7 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    Thanks for that link, Hank. Now I know the right term - "clearing trap".

I've done a lot of metal fabrication over the years and have my own welding equipment, so I don't have any problem with building the shell for one of these. A source for the steel is no problem, but I'm going to have to do some research for appropriate rubber material to keep fragments from flying back out of the trap.

Of course, this thing should never take a hit if I handle my weapons properly.

In reality, the pricing of the traps in the link isn't bad compared to the expenses somebody might incur if they had an unexpected discharge while loading or unloading firearms in the home.
    Skip Douglas

8. #8 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    ...Skip, I called my friend and he said he used Linatex Target Backing. It's made by Weir Minerals. This was several years ago and he can't remember where it was purchased. I found their website:

http://www.weirminerals.com/products...t_backing.aspx

Hope that will get you started on your research.

Hank

9. #9 Re: Tube style bullet trap for loading or unloading firearms - need info 
    Interesting. I havenít messed around with clearing barrels, since 1993. In the USAF we had them at our armories and firing ranges. You had to be an NCO to supervise clearing during issue and turn in, which was no fun thing. I saw a few discharges were some guy would get careless and let a round off. Understandable after some long hours of shift work, but a real attention getter.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2900297/af...andling-Manual

The above manual outlines the design of the clearing barrel and surrounding area. The barrels and surrounding area were well padded, with mats on the floor. Of course when we were running a shift change with a 100 to 600 people coming through clearing weapons, Stuff happens.

They were usually made from 55 Gal Metal drums that were filled with sand, pea gravel and had a cement base inside the base of the drum. The top had an insert about the size of a coffee can that was padded to prevent damage to the weapons barrel. There were smaller ones made from 30 Gal or less containers but usually had to be replaced if a discharge occurred.

Now days theyíve gone to what is called COTTS, which are a lot smaller and lined with rubber pads. Which Iím, told do the job.

I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads