Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410

This is a discussion on Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; She’s a Leinad –Cobray-FMJ .45 Long Colt/.410 Derringer. It’s 7” in total length, with a 3 3/4” Double Barreled length. She’ll also fire a .410 ...

Thread: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410

1. #1 Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  

She’s a Leinad –Cobray-FMJ .45 Long Colt/.410 Derringer. It’s 7” in total length, with a 3 3/4” Double Barreled length. She’ll also fire a .410 gauge, 3” shotgun round. She’s marked as being made by Leinad Inc. in Ducktown, Tennessee. Model DD CAL 45. You’ll have to excuse the name but there’s loads of history behind this little beast.

This weapon is at least 20 years old. It’s in great shape. Unless they fired a couple of rounds at the factory, I’d say she’s not been fired. It’s a solid, rough made piece of work, resembling a flare gun more than a pistol. It has a black parkerized finish which gives it a rather sinister look.

You press the Safety Bar Pin to safe, slide the barrel release and break the barrel down to reload. On top the hammer is a two position switch that selects which barrel is fired. The Safety Bar Pin and the Safety E Clip have seen better days. I ordered a replacement from Practical Tactical up in Louisville, Ky. He has parts available for this thing.

In doing the research on the DD I found they used to sell them in part kits you could order through the mail and assemble at home. It’s reputed to be a handy glove box gun, back pack or fishing companion.

The 45 Long Colt rounds were reported as being not so bad regarding recoil but when it comes to cutting loose with the .410 shot gun rounds it’s a bit of a handful. I’m going to run a few Federal .410 Handgun 2 ½” 7/16 oz 40 shot Personal Defense Rounds through her and see how it goes.

These photos are being run through Photobucket. Their new software program did away with some of the old editing capabilities. For selecting size I am using 640 x 480. Hopefully they won’t be too big.

I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

2. #2 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    Thanks for the post Bill; very neat!
    Ray
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

3. #3 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  

A friend of mine at a LGS gave me a call yesterday and said he had something that he thought I would like.These were big in the 80's, in some parts. The idea of putting a .45 LC in barrel and a .410 in the other is something I'd avoid/ But who knows?
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

4. #4 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    Very interesting!! Good snake gun!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

5. #5 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    As usual, nice write up and pictures. I've always had a itching for the Bond Arms.
    The side by side barrels look cool. I bet its a handful to shoot. Looking forward to a range report.

Sean McGinnes: Do you not believe in a higher power?
    Cullen
    : Yes, sir. I wear it on my hip.

6. #6 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  

I ran into some problems with this new toy. The previous owner must have had some problems figuring the thing out. He messed up the Safety Bar/Pin and the clip. After some research on Saturday, the 28th I contacted Practical Tactical in Kentucky. They still sell these old gals. I put in an order and they put them in the mail. Same day.

I got the parts this afternoon via the US Mail and gave them a thank you call. They sent a replacement Leinad Safety Bar/pin plus 4 of the Safety Clips.

I rounded up the tools I’d need. A non-marring hammer, some plastic punch pins, a pair of needle nose pliers and a hockey puck.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...structions.pdf

I followed the instructions for assembling the weapon and got it right. Check the positioning of the Safety Shield, Part 15 to insure it’s hooked over the retaining pin, before inserting the Safety Bar.

Read Part 22 of the Guide.

Once the Safety Bar is in position with the round side on the left, almost flush within the frame, slide the Safety Clip into the grooved notch at the end of the pin. You have to slightly pull back on the hammer to get it just right.

Once the Safety Clip has been placed on, depress the Safety on the right side. The square button is slightly recessed into the square hole. The Safety is now on. Trying cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger. The safety should be functional. The square side goes into the hammer and blocks it.

The Open for loading position. Notice the round end Safety Bar/Pin is extended to the left. Holding the pistol by the barrel, position the thumb on the left Barrel Latch Knob and the forefinger on the right knob. Slide them towards the grips, and then pull the barrel down. For reloading. If the barrels will not open check the position of the safety. Slightly draw back on the hammer to ease pin movement.

I had to replace both parts because the previous owner had marred the grooved notch around the Safety Bar. Trying to force the barrels open with the safety off doesn’t work. . The front of the hammer is notched and blocks the barrel latch knobs from moving.

So thanks to Practical Tactical I got the parts, did the repairs. This 20 Year old predecessor to the Judge and the Governor is now operational. For $5.00 in parts cost.

7. #7 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    Now that is really cool Bgoff689! Are you gonna try to shoot it? Did some reading on this and it looks like they make a shorter version in single barrel.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

8. #8 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    Neat little gun Bgoff689. Good pictures and good write-ups. Thanks for sharing.

9. #9 Re: Leinad Cobray FMJ Model DD .45 - .410  
    http://www.practicaltacticalky.com/oldSite/Leinad.html

I got lucky on this one. Finding the parts and information needed to get it straight again. She'll get a range trip with some .410 shells in the immediate future.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads