Cheap .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Cheap .22 pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; Im looking for a cheap .22 semi auto pistol, something that I can teach my wife how to shoot with since she is afraid of ...

Thread: Cheap .22 pistol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Cheap .22 pistol 
    Im looking for a cheap .22 semi auto pistol, something that I can teach my wife how to shoot with since she is afraid of my LCP. I've been looking at the phoenix arms hp22a its only $113 on CTD, do any of you guys have experience with that gun or possibly another for around the same price?

2. #2 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    If you go to the search section and type in Phoenix you will see some previous threads on this gun. Just a quick read of the first one and it sounds like a good gun.

3. #3 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    I have a Phoenix HP22A, and for the price it is impossible to beat. It has a lot of safeties, and some are a little frustrating, but there are mods you can make that solve those issues if you want to make them....still a fun little gun. I also have a Jimenez JA-22 that is striker fired and is pretty reliable with high velocity ammo. It's a little smaller than the Phoenix, so that may be attractive to your wife.

I'm sure DaveVaBch will be along soon to give a big thumbs up to the HP22A. I believe he has 2 of them.
    Semper Fidelis

4. #4 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    I have a Phoenix that has two barrels, A 3" & 5" A lot of gun for the money. I think you will be happy with one.

RICHGCOOP

5. #5 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    Phoenix is a good way to go if you want to go cheap, but being honest that is not what I would do. If you shop around a little you could buy a used Ruger Mark ( I am partial to Mark II's) or Browning Buckmark for a little over $200 and it will bring good money if you ever decide to sell it. I am not knocking the Phoenix just giving my 2 cents.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #6 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    ...my son owns a HP22A and is quite happy with it as a little pistol he can tuck in his tackle box and not be too concerned about wear and tear. I've shot it without any issues. It is heavy and I really had to struggle with reassembly after cleaning the little guy. Not bad for a plinker. I understand your budget considerations, but many of your fellow members are buying quality .22's (new and used) because of the high cost of larger caliber ammunition. I side with bdd on lookin' around for a used quality .22 pistol that won't dent you wallet too much. I believe you'll use the .22 much more than you think, other than the intended objective for your spouse. A Ruger 22/45 or S&W 22A runs about $250 new and would be a good choice. There are a lot of P22's on the market as well. I saw one in excellent condition last month at my LGS for $200...started to buy it, but I already have one. A used Beretta Bobcat 21A can usually be found for about $225. I have one of those and it's a dandy. The larger frame .22's provide a better serious range experience, but mouse .22 pistols play their own role, whatever that may be.

Tarheel

7. #7 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    I think I will keep looking around, maybe with any left over income tax money ill still probably get the phoenix just because it is so cheap and they do come with the lifetime warranty, but ill probably still keep an eye out for a nicer one also. Main thing is to get my wife comfortable with shooting a gun so if she ever has to use the LCP she can, cause I know for a fact she will never try out the 870.

I appreciate the input!!!

8. #8 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx98formula
    I think I will keep looking around, maybe with any left over income tax money ill still probably get the phoenix just because it is so cheap and they do come with the lifetime warranty, but ill probably still keep an eye out for a nicer one also. Main thing is to get my wife comfortable with shooting a gun so if she ever has to use the LCP she can, cause I know for a fact she will never try out the 870.

I was looking at this.
    http://www.buy-phoenix-arms.com/item...LR_3_5_NK.aspx
    Keep Calm, Carry on

9. #9 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon60
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx98formula

I was looking at this.
    http://www.buy-phoenix-arms.com/item...LR_3_5_NK.aspx
    You can get that same kit with both barrels on cheaper than dirt for I believe is was $175, but I think their shipping was about $10 so basically the same deal. Or you can buy the gun with the 3" barrel for $113I on CTD and buy the 5" barrel separate for $34. Haha can you tell I've looked into this a little bit?

10. #10 Re: Cheap .22 pistol 
    The Phoenix is a absolutely fantastic 22.cal. especially for training at the defensive position of 7 yards. It is ideal for training with the LCP. The Little gun will eat virtually any ammo you feed it. I shoot 200 rounds yesterday and had only two failures with cheap ammo. There are dozens of positive reviews of this little gun. It is one of the most underrated guns available. GUNTEST.COM did a comparison of this gun with other 22.cal and this gun was given a A+ rating. A rating I agree with. I Liked this gun so well, I went out and bought a second one. I only Paid $129.00 at my local gun store. I picked up a 5 inch barrel on the net for about $30,00. Easy to change out. These little guns are built like a tank. Great deals for the money. I also own a Bersa, great gun, but will only cycle HV ammo.
    I will be picking up a new Ruger 2r 22 hopefully today and only hope it east ammo like the Phoenix. The Phoenix has been a big training aid for the LCP, especially for fast target acquisition. By the way, the Phoenix has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...=3596&ID3=2350

regards
    Dave@vabch

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads