Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Worried about the wife

6K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Rustin 
#1 ·
So, the wife landed a good paying job, only problem is it's downtown and she will be working nights sometimes. This means she will be walking to and from the car, alone, at night. She is barely 5 ft tall and weighs 100lbs soaking wet. Anyway, she is not crazy about guns, but I need to try to convince her to get her permit and start carrying. I already have my eye on a LCR 38spl for her. How do I convince her to do it?

#2 ·
I had the same problem. My wife used to hate guns, because she was afraid of them. I had two .22 cal pistols, an automatic and a revolver, and she wanted me to get rid of them. Two years ago, when I retired, I started working out of town part time and I spend weekends in an apartment that is somewhat isolated. I eventually brought the revolver with me, and my wife said that if was going to have a gun I should take some instruction, etc. So, long story short, I took a concealed carry class last year and I have acquired a Ruger P95, an LCP, and a CZ 9mm along the way. I also took an additional combat course. My wife is actually relieved that I am armed and have had some training. I was able to convince her that the CC class is worth taking just for the prevention and safety aspect. So.....in preparation for that class she took some shooting lessons (and still does), and much to my surprise she has become a gun fanatic. She has a Ruger LCR and loves to shoot the .22 revolver (the one she wanted me to get rid of). I introduced her to my P95 today and now she wants to continue shooting that.

My suggestion is that you point out to your wife the necessity of a prevention and safety class, and see if she would be willing to take the CC class. One thing may lead to another, as it did with my wife. Good luck - I hope your wife takes your excellent advice!

#3 ·
LordJ81 said:
So, the wife landed a good paying job, only problem is it's downtown and she will be working nights sometimes. This means she will be walking to and from the car, alone, at night. She is barely 5 ft tall and weighs 100lbs soaking wet. Anyway, she is not crazy about guns, but I need to try to convince her to get her permit and start carrying. I already have my eye on a LCR 38spl for her. How do I convince her to do it?
LordJ81

Shotdoc got really lucky and no doubt used some gentle persuasion, patience and tact in his efforts to convince his spouse to see beyond the illusion of safety that our society likes to perpetrate over the masses. Personal violence is common place in our society and people that fall victim to it are simply unlucky or it was simple fate or bad karma that led them to a bad end. I'd start by just talking to her about your concerns for her safety and seeing how she reacts. If she has really been indoctrinated or had something happen in the past that invoked her distain you may have your work cut out for you. Take it easy and as per Shotdoc you might just get her to change her mind.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Above all, exercise patience. My wife was neither pro or anti gun, but it still took 2 years of gentle persuasion before she wanted to shoot. And it took another two years to break her out of 22 lr.

The moral of the story is don't force the issue and don't exhibit frustration in her presence. Give her some tid bits here and there and then let her alone to draw her own conclusions.

Also, do a google search for cornered cat.com. It is a website dedicated to self defense from a woman.s perspective.

#6 ·
Deadbolt said:
Above all, exercise patience. My wife was neither pro or anti gun, but it still took 2 years of gentle persuasion before she wanted to shoot. And it took another two years to break her out of 22 lr.

The moral of the story is don't force the issue and don't exhibit frustration in her presence. Give her some tid bits here and there and then let her alone to draw her own conclusions.

Also, do a google search for cornered cat.com. It is a website dedicated to self defense from a woman.s perspective.

Well put. I never under estimate the 'Weaker" Sex. Some Kitties have nasty claws as per the young lady in this video and her choice of weapons.

#7 ·
Like Deadbolt, my wife was neither pro or anti gun, but when we started taking our horses into the wilderness to ride, I suggested that we both get our carry permits, affording us both the ability to protect the horses & ourselves. The wife agreed, and the rest is history. Once she got to the range, she actually enjoys shooting more than I thought she would. She usually doesn't carry when she's with me, but when traveling alone, she has gotten in the habit of taking our SP-101 loaded with .38's. She realizes the need. Subtle conversations & suggestions could eventually persuade her to your way of thinking. Getting her to the range could help also, especially starting her off with an easy to shoot caliber. Good luck, I hope she comes around to your way of thinking! Yogi :)

#8 ·
My wife likes that I carry, but she does not want to, because she realizes what an awesome resposibility it is. She does not want to take the slight chance that she would either leave it in a restroom somewhere or have an unintentional discharge.

I say, Good for her!

That is much wiser than flippantly sticking a gun in a purse and thinking all will be okay.

I recently dug out an old Colt .22 that's been sitting for years, cleaned and lubed it, and fired enough rounds through it to insure its reliability. I'm going to offer to go through a basic firearms training course with my wife and daughter to increase their comfort level with shooting.

The choice to carry I leave up to them. Daughter is too young to carry, but not for much longer....

#9 ·
My wife is a nurse and works early and late. She hated guns and the idea of carrying one until a rapist got two ladies in downtown parking garages just like the one she parked in and at about the times she was parking in it... Now she carries...still not a happy camper about it, but sees the point. I hope all out wives come to see the point before something happens that they wished they had.

#10 ·
My wife would go to the range with me to shoot my Ruger MKIII once in a while and then I bought a Beretta Neos for her. She would go shoot about once every 4-6 months. Then a friend of ours told her about a gun saftey class offered in our area. She told me about it and asked if I would take it with her, I jumped all over this. It was a two part class 4 hours of class room and 4 hour at a range. After the range time next thing I know she want to stop at the LGS and start looking for a gun for her. Well she picks one out a Springfield EMP (1911 frame in 9MM) She has expensive taste in purses and guns, and now she want to get her Georgia Firearms Lic. this week. She says the class gave her more confidence and want to go shooting all the time.

Jim

#11 ·
;D
Wait a minute Kraigster. This is guys discussing how to gently coerce or persuade a wife or significant other into overcoming their hesitations to carry a concealed weapon. You going to cast us afloat in the Ladies section to face possible redress from some lady for attempting to perpetrate a little coercion? On the other hand we could perhaps use a little insight from some lady regarding how they perhaps overcame their own hesitations or dealt with a male companion who wasn't too keen about carrying.

#12 ·
If all fails to get her to carry, get her to carry some Cold Steel Inferno mace.

#13 ·
toytraindoc said:
If all fails to get her to carry, get her to carry some Cold Steel Inferno mace.
I knew I would never get my daughter to carry a gun. So I bought her one of the new Ruger Ultra Pepper Spray System. :) Figured it was better then nothing.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=as8kgedab&v=001tNBA_dSZoNq9dLqiIPTG0zIj78DB-FUBM2qn91Dj7sxZKfp4qagp4rXIa4Ng4q3tcga2TkOsbJsIBzr-hl-mJMoM-Zxm_szePUqitthMP2PkvQvhSzSINGhWedkfIArRoOJD8wfuYc4a_svRQLBK1Kj4aH6BLnutYQziTsdiN0w%3D

#15 ·
LordJ81 said:
Kimber Peper Blaster II (there is also a MACE version) I WE Carry the Kimber when we are in prohibited places (like on-campus to go to all the Gator Sports events). I like the PB-II b/c it "mimics' the LCP, the the MACE version mimics a J-frame. the PB-II has 2 shots @ 90 MPH with a effective range of 13 ft.
Here is my recommendation (as an NRA Certified Instructor - who has certified a "Ton" of people for their CWP/CWFL)... DO NOT FORCE HER to Carry (a firearm) IT WILL BACKFIRE IF you try (to MAKE her carry). If she doesn't want to carry, there ARE NON-LETHAL alternative that in many ways are just as effective (if not more so) in stopping the threat. You need to understand that Guys & Gal's brain'ss are wired differently (more than half my students are ladies) and to be quite honest with you many (not saying yours) but many women will NEVER PULL THE TRIGGER and use deadly force, but will readly defend themselves with non-lethal force.
StaySafe

#16 ·
if she does decide to look into getting her permit, be careful about pushing a certain model gun onto her. you may think the LCR is perfect, but she may find the LCP to be more her liking. or maybe a LC9, or a m&p 9/40/45c, a glock, kahr, or a carry model 1911. i'd find a range that rents guns, and let her try a bunch out and see what she gravitates towards and would want to carry.

#17 ·
Just take a look at youtube for videos involving muggings/armed robberies. IT's important to realize that these unfortunate circumstances can pop up anywhere, andytime, to any person. They usually occur so fast. Perhaps this high quality glock commercial will get her to thinking more seriously about her safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.