What you edge your knives with?

What you edge your knives with?

This is a discussion on What you edge your knives with? within the The Edge forums, part of the Light & Blade category; I use to use a fine smooth Arkansas rock.now i've added this Smith's 1886 Kit to keep and edge on my knives....

Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What you edge your knives with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What you edge your knives with? 
    What you edge your knives with?-14639843_1131715193573888_4121266079933222714_n.jpg
    I use to use a fine smooth Arkansas rock.now i've added this Smith's 1886 Kit to keep and edge on my knives.
    davevabch likes this.
    #L1C4

Semper Fi.

2. #2 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I bought a unit from Walmart that has two cylinder stones, one is a course stone the other is a finer stone. I pull the knife twice through each stone, once on the right side then the left side of the blade then I turn over to the finer stone and repeat. The blade is very sharp when it completed.
    ifithitu likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I also use a small leather strop from Tandy leather. It is a great way to polish the edge. It is a bit of an overkill but I can make a new razor blade sharper. Den
    davevabch and ifithitu like this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I had to sharpen one of my Japanese Shun Damascus kitchen knives so I thought I'd show what was in my knife sharpening box. First on the left side of the photo is the device with the "V" shaped rods. I used these for 20+ years and still use them today. The rods on the right are coarse and on the left are very fine, for honing. You simply hold your knife, any size and you hold the knife straight and from the handle to the tip act like you are slicing the rod. Go from one side to the other. Run the knife through the course rods on the right 2 times and on the left honing rods on the left 2 times and you are done. This will score major points for less than 90 seconds per knife. I had to stand up one time when my Pastor thanked me at Church. Major red face LOL
    Beneath the dual V's you will see a black with silver handle device. This will also save the day in the kitchen. It has two fine stones and you simply run your blade through it like you are cutting something, about 10 times should be enough to slice that tomato. In the red box you will see my Catco sharpening kit that I bought when the Kids bought me the fancy Kitchen knives. (I really love those knives and especially my Kids) It takes a bit of time and getting used to but the end result is a perfectly sharpened knife. Right now my favorite kitchen knife is way overdue for sharpening. I looked at the edge with some glass and it looks like a saw blade! In the photo it is mounted in the jig and very solid. For this job I will use the medium stones down to the blue honing stone that is laying on the counter. The process is simple, You lube the stone and run it across the blade then turn the blade holder over and run the stone over the blade again. repeat as needed and move to a finer stone. You don't remove the blade from the fixture, just flip over the fixture and work the other side of the blade. notice you can choose the angle of the edge. This you must choose yourself, Google is your friend.
    You will also see my work pocket knife and a diamond tool I use for sharpening the serrated portion of the blade. Also a small Arkansas stone, (my big one is at work) used for old school sharpening. Also on the left are a couple of hand held strops. The top big one is one I made and I bought the small one. I will talk about strops another time. I am still learning and they take an edge to the next level. Thanks for reading...Den

Last edited by Denny4kids; 02-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    rayzer007, saltair, ETS and 1 others like this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

6. #5 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I still have my Lansky sharpening kit but now it's my Work Sharp belt sander that I use now.

7. #6 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    ETS
    Denny4kids--Nice pictures. Thanks, much.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

8. #7 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I still have my Lansky sharpening kit but now it's my Work Sharp belt sander that I use now.

I have the Ken Onion sharpener. I wish the knives were marked as to what angle (bevel) to sharpen them. I put a small black mark on the very cutting edge of the knife and go over it with the Work shop sharpener at different degrees until the black mark disappears. This way I know the correct sharpening angle (May need a magnifying glass). Most knives are made to sharpen at different angles. I have a couple nice knives made by F. Dick that need to be sharpened at 21 degrees and other knives are 24 degrees. I always finish with a leather Strop. When I find what I think is the correct sharpening degree angle I engrave the number on the knife's tang or as close as possible. If anyone has a better way to find a knife's cutting degree angle (bevel) please take a stab at it.
    Last edited by saltair; 02-13-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

9. #8 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I've used just about every sharpening system imaginable but just recently picked up a Work Sharp. By far the best system so far. I can get a professional edge in no time at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

10. #9 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    I use this tool to put the final working edge on my pocket knives and a lot of other edged tools. It has a 1500 grit diamond surface on one side and an extremely fine ceramic surface on the other.

However, I have a whole family of real stones, including Japanese water stones (from 400 down to 8000 grit) and a family of diamond "stones" (from 325 to 1200 mesh).

I use no powered devices to sharpen anything other than my big axe for outdoor chopping. I can shave with most of my edged tools in the shop or in my pocket if I cared to.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    Skip Douglas

11. #10 Re: What you edge your knives with? 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    I use this tool...................................I use no powered devices to sharpen anything other than my big axe for outdoor chopping. I can shave with most of my edged tools in the shop or in my pocket if I cared to.
    Maybe we should not call you Skip, but, rather "Gillette"!
    rayzer007 likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads