Concealed carry in prohibited places?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in prohibited places? within the CCW/CHL forums, part of the General Category category; Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on concealed carry in prohibited places, school zones, state or city government buildings, hospitals etc. I personally try to ...

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Concealed carry in prohibited places?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on concealed carry in prohibited places, school zones, state or city government buildings, hospitals etc. I personally try to obey all laws but sometimes just don't think about the fact that I am carrying because it becomes second nature, and almost enter one of these places. I am almost of the mindset that a permit holder, with proper training to recieve said permit should be able to carry in such places. What are your thoughts?
    USAF04 likes this.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

2. #2 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    Should be able to, doesn't make it legal. If you do, and are caught, bye bye carry permit.

Mayonardo
    iPad & Tapatalk
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

3. #3 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    Very true! You know my mind goes over differant situations and how I might react to them and it really irks me to think of something bad going down in one of these places and not really being able to do much about it! For instance, picking up one of my grandkids at school when some drug crazed nut comes in with a loaded gun and starts shooting!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

4. #4 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    I completely understand. Just because I shouldn't, doesn't mean I won't. Pretty much a personal and ethical decision that all of us have to make.

Mayonardo
    iPad & Tapatalk
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

5. #5 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    I absolutely will not carry in a prohibited place, and I know the places that are prohibited in my state. Whenever I'm entering an establishment, I always carefully scan for any signs, posters or lettering that gives notice the owner "has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch." Such signs are usually on or around the entrance(s).

However, I had something happen today that was rather unusual. My wife, daughter and I ate at a restaurant we had not been to before in a nearby suburb. I had Elsie in my pocket. As is my habit, I looked for any "firearms prohibited" signs before entering. Seeing none, we went in and had a very nice meal. As I was leaving, I spotted such a sign taped to the wall about waist high next to the front door inside. You absolutely could not see the sign until you were leaving. Had I seen the sign before entering, I would have left Elsie in the car, or, more than likely, would have gone somewhere else. I feel it was not "displayed in a conspicuous place" and I think it was printed on a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper, not the minimum 11 X 14 inches, so it was hard for me to feel I was in violation.

Ruger Security Six, Ruger Mark III, Ruger SR9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SP101, Ruger LC9

6. #6 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    Tough one. My thoughts...work our butts off to get the laws in line with the 2nd amend. Meanwhile...obey the law. I think that will make it better down the road. If they start to take too much off the table..or contravine the constitution, and the bill of rights...then I guess we'll have decisions to make...huh?!
    Why is there air?

7. #7 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    I guess Iowa differs just a little from other states. State and Federal Govt. buildings, some city and township properties, hospitals, schools public parks, etc,... are prohibited unless you first get permission. (more info at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf ). Stores, resturaunts, and other establishments have to post at EVERY entrance to there establishment in PLAIN sight. If you are caught what they can do is ask you to leave. If you do not leave all they can do is have you arrested for tresspassing.
    I personally take my chances at these places where you have to be "seen" carrying befor they can do anything. I would rather get a ticket for tresspassing than to not have protection when the need arises. One of our local FARM KING stores sells guns. Recently a guy walked in with a rifle and started shooting. He didn't hit anybody, walked out and took a few shots at the local cops, went back in the store where there was a standoff for a couple houres or so then he shot himselfe. Now they post a sign for no concealed carry and still sell firearms. Makes you wonder why the wouldn't want a trained law abiding citizen to bring in weapons to possibly protect them.
    more info on that story here
    http://www.connecttristates.com/news...aspx?id=411143

Prohibited places I do not carry. Other posted places........

8. #8 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    fed bldg, liquor stores, i leave in car.
    dont go to schools
    work on a fed installation so I don't even have it during work hours or in my car

Anywhere else I keep it hidden and no one is going to see it

9. #9 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    In my area I have been seeing transparent 3"x5" stickers on glass doors that have the red circle and a pistol inside of it with a line through it. If the background were white instead of transparent it would stand out better but they are almost invisible being transparent. They put them around waist high and someone with bifocals (like myself) can't see them and they are basically invisible until your right up on them. I got caught up in one the other day and seen it on my way out, it was a little unnerving but you can really see them much better on the way out. Now I know what to look for it shouldn't happen again. But it is something to look for.
    minimal brat likes this.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

10. #10 Re: Concealed carry in prohibited places? 
    Seems to me that these places would be the first place a BG would carry, look for trouble, or try to rob! For a business to put a sign up "No Firearms" is like saying "come rob me".

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads