Reason for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Reason for concealed carry? within the CCW/CHL forums, part of the General Category category; know there is an older thread, but seemed relevant to me, to revisit, especially since the lady at the probate court office where I got ...

Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Reason for concealed carry?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Reason for concealed carry? 
    know there is an older thread, but seemed relevant to me, to revisit, especially since the lady at the probate court office where I got my permit, said there are more people getting their concealed permit than ever, in all of her years there.

I got my concealed carry permit for not just one reason, but for an accumulation of reasons.

We live in what I thought was an upscale neighborhood, homes in the mid 500's.

The couple(I did not know them) that lived next door, divorced and moved out of state, renting their house to their daughter, probably the skinniest girl, I'd ever seen, I mean skinny as in the photos of the Nazi prison camp skinny. Immediately their were lots of strange comings and goings at the house. Cars would go there in the middle of the night, stay a few minutes and then leave. I could see their driveway from the den over my garage, and the weird thing was that a lot of the unsavory looking people going there, were missing teeth. Then the police started showing up there on occasion, not just one police, but multiples, covering all entrys and egress's and always with their hands at their firearms, carrying various individual away with handcuffs on. Then finally the police(must have been 15 carloads or more, came and carted all of them off! Hooray!! Now the house is in foreclosure.

Another reason, and this is one that my wife has brought up on many occasions.

When the earthquake happened, and the tsunami hit Japan. The people lined up patiently and helped each other. If some kind of event happened here, there would be rioting, looting, pillaging gangs roaming the streets, robbing and beating people at random. Dang, from what I read, I think that kind of stuff is alread occurring. If there is a societal breakdown, we want to be prepared. I know many, maybe most, might think we're crazy for our concern/alarm but we just don't feel safe in our country anymore.

I would be very interested in others thoughts on why they got their concealed carry.

Cadawg

2. #2 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    All of the above AND a man who follows me every time I happen upon him where I work, downtown. He follows women all the time, many of which are completely unaware that he's doing it. I've confronted him and alerted the police, at which point he disappears, only to follow me again the next time I see him. His appearances are random so I just want to be ready in case things go terribly wrong one day. And no, cadawg, you are not crazy!

3. #3 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by cadawg

When the earthquake happened, and the tsunami hit Japan. The people lined up patiently and helped each other. If some kind of event happened here, there would be rioting, looting, pillaging gangs roaming the streets, robbing and beating people at random. Dang, from what I read, I think that kind of stuff is alread occurring. If there is a societal breakdown, we want to be prepared. I know many, maybe most, might think we're crazy for our concern/alarm but we just don't feel safe in our country anymore.

I agree that these types of incidents are already occurring. I started carrying again after having not, for 20 years, because every time I looked at the news there were fatal incidents of random violence.

Increasing the odds of protecting my family from random acts of violence is why I carry.

4. #4 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    I would be very interested in others thoughts on why they got their concealed carry.
    The old standbys:
    A cop is too heavy to carry.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    There is no valid reason not to carry.
    Ray
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

5. #5 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    and the weird thing was that a lot of the unsavory looking people going there, were missing teeth. .....

If there is a societal breakdown, we want to be prepared. I know many, maybe most, might think we're crazy for our concern/alarm but we just don't feel safe in our country anymore.

Cadawg
    I got mine because I don't want to freak people out.

Meth causes one to loose teeth. As far as societal breakdown goes, you may also invest in a rifle and shotgun.

6. #6 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    Too thwart a terrorist attack, to kill a rabid rabbit, personal defense in an increasingly precarious world, just because I can, I'm a liberal gun freak, The list goes on, but hopefully I will never have need of it...but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    MajMarine likes this.
    The first one through the door get's the copper coated candy.

7. #7 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    Why? The same reason I carry health, dental, vision, homeowner's, and automobile insurance. In case doo-doo happens.
    FLETCH1022 and tick_daddy like this.

8. #8 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewater1
    Why? The same reason I carry health, dental, vision, homeowner's, and automobile insurance. In case doo-doo happens.
    +1
    Keep Calm, Carry on

9. #9 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    A friends 18 year old son, along with a father of four, were forced to lie on the floor (with 4 other customers)in a robbery of an upscale pizzeria in Nashville..As the robber left he shot the 18 yr old and the manager in the back of the head as they lay there....

I made my mind up then that I will NEVER be forced to lie a floor and wait to see what happens...I will NOT be a victim of a criminals mercy
    In a fight to the death, second place is an undesirable finish

10. #10 Re: Reason for concealed carry? 
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer007
    The old standbys:
    A cop is too heavy to carry.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    There is no valid reason not to carry.
    Ray
    Ray, I'll add one more to your fine list:

The average response time of a 911 call is over 20 minutes...the average speed of a .357 Magnum bullet is 1,450 feet per second. Hope this helps!

Crap happens to good people, just helps increase the odds in my favor! Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads