Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March 08

This is a discussion on Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March 08 within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; [/quote] my mistake i guess the critical defense round has more velocity than the golden saber. (end quote) Not really. Both give around 850 fps ...

Thread: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March 08

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March 08 

[/quote]

my mistake i guess the critical defense round has more velocity than the golden saber.
    (end quote)

Not really.
    Both give around 850 fps from the LCP.
    90 gr.=Hornady 102 gr.=golden sabre

More energy for GS for sure. GS don't seem to be plugging in all the tests done and posted on the internet that I've seen.

I suppose plugging "could" be a problem. But I'd like to see the penetration results after going through clothing before making up my mind as to whether I will sacrifice obviously greater energy for the off chance that the person may be wearing clothes that will plug hp's.

Might want to put in a solid BB every few rounds rather than Hornady to get much more energy along with non-plugging. Carry GS as the main round (if, indeed, penetration tests show a much better penetration for the GS over the Hornady).

2. #32 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March  
    Has anyone used Ranger T 380s in their LCPs?

I currently run GS and my LCP loves them, but wanted to see if anyone was using / had any experience with Ranger Ts. I know they are LEO ammo, but are available to anyone...

Same on SIG Forum, AR15.com, and most others...

3. #33 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March 08 
    Quote Originally Posted by Snubbie K
    my mistake i guess the critical defense round has more velocity than the golden saber.
    (end quote)

Not really.
    Both give around 850 fps from the LCP.
    90 gr.=Hornady 102 gr.=golden sabre

More energy for GS for sure. GS don't seem to be plugging in all the tests done and posted on the internet that I've seen.

I suppose plugging "could" be a problem. But I'd like to see the penetration results after going through clothing before making up my mind as to whether I will sacrifice obviously greater energy for the off chance that the person may be wearing clothes that will plug hp's.

Might want to put in a solid BB every few rounds rather than Hornady to get much more energy along with non-plugging. Carry GS as the main round (if, indeed, penetration tests show a much better penetration for the GS over the Hornady).

[/quote]

i like the gs round as well but it would have to penetrate a whole lot more than the critical defense for me to switch back to it. the critical defense ammo has way less recoil, much less harshness, not a lot of blast, much easier to shoot (i call it smooth where you can walk your shots across the paper target)....i have a severe aversion to harsh shooting pocket pistols so ymmv.

4. #34 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March  
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO

I currently run GS and my LCP loves them, but wanted to see if anyone was using / had any experience with Ranger Ts. I know they are LEO ammo, but are available to anyone...

probably one of the few popular rounds i haven't shot....where to buy online?

5. #35 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March  
    Quote Originally Posted by kensteele

probably one of the few popular rounds i haven't shot....where to buy online?
    Ken,
    I got mine from AmmoToGo
    "The second worst thing in the world is killing a person....The absolute worst thing is having to and not having the means to do it."

6. #36 Re: Review of the Hornady Critical Defense .380 ammo - G&A Handguns Feb/March  

I have some of these my buddy gave to me for a Bday present and if I get to go shooting this weekend I will run some of them over the PACT to see how fast they do. I really like this round, I shot a 45 ACP SXT into riverbed mud the consistency of a body. The wound channel was awesome, you could actually see the tear marks the heavy HP tips made in the side of the cone. But as Hornady has stated, plugging with clothing can cause even these to not behave as intended,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads