Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme

This is a discussion on Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; It is called Grizzly Xtreme premium self-defense ammo. I stumbled upon this stuff at a gunshow a few weeks back and was pretty impressed with ...

Thread: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme

1. #1 Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    It is called Grizzly Xtreme premium self-defense ammo. I stumbled upon this stuff at a gunshow a few weeks back and was pretty impressed with the display they had set up. It was a board with some recovered projectiles glued on and the expansion on each one was impressive. They were machined solid copper bullets with a deep cavity and four cuts down the side. The fired bullets were four copper petals expanded to nearly twice the caliber in a neat but sturdy looking array. The ammo was available in various calibers but the 70 gr. .380 was listed to do 1250 fps. The man behind the table was Mike Rintoul of Grizzly Cartridge Co. an engineer and the creator of these bullets. After talking with him for a few minutes and debating the high price of these rounds with myself, I decided to try a box out. At nearly $2 a round I told him this better be good stuff and he replied that it will be "the best box of ammo that you hope you never have to shoot." Now I am aware that he was there to sell ammo and turn a profit but if this stuff performs the way it was presented then I think it could be worth it support the man and give it a try. And try it out I did this weekend. Mind you I am no scientist and my test was very basic using stacked water jugs, one set covered in a double layer of denim and one bare. The performance of the recovered bullets replicated what I saw on the display at the gunshow. Four neat copper petals with great expansion. The rounds I recovered on both tests blew the first milk jug up with a nasty exit hole and stopped in the second so I figure penetration was marginal between 6-10 inches but expansion for these small buggers is nasty. I don't know if it will be worth it for myself to buy more of this stuff but I figured it would be nice sharing what I discovered and it was sure fun testing it out with my Elsie. If I can figure it out I will try and add pictures of the results....
    http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/IMAG0086.jpg
    http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/IMAG0084.jpg
    http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/IMAG0085.jpg

2. #2 Re: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    Thanks for sharing the photos and your find!!! They look really neat, I would not want to be on the wrong end of those!!!! George

3. #3 Re: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    Bullet expansion looks very interesting.
    However, the box says +P. My LCP manual states NO +P AMMO.
    You may be "flirting with disaster" shooting that ammo. JMHO

4. #4 Re: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    Quote Originally Posted by snake
    Agreed.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

5. #5 Re: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    Quote Originally Posted by snake
    Good point but with the cost of this stuff I don't plan on shooting any more of it. Everything went fine and there is no apparent damage to my pistol but I will heed your advice on the +p from now on. Thanks

6. #6 Re: Found some interesting new defense ammo. Grizzly Xtreme 
    We have continually provided warnings about the use of so-called +P ammo in the LCP (there are no industry standards for +P .380 ammunition so no telling what the pressures could be). See the sticky in the General LCP Room. We don't want to see anyone hurt or a perfectly good weapon fail because of over-pressurized ammo. Folks, please accept the .380 for what it is. If you need more power, get a small 9mm. Push the envelope with the LCP and you're headed into potentially dangerous and uncharted waters.

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5634.0
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads