380 Hydra-shok question

This is a discussion on 380 Hydra-shok question within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; My older Hydra packages just say Hydra-shok. Newer ones say "low recoil". And some newer ones say "personal defence". My question: Is there any difference ...

Thread: 380 Hydra-shok question

1. #1 380 Hydra-shok question 
    My older Hydra packages just say Hydra-shok. Newer ones say "low recoil". And some newer ones say "personal defence". My question: Is there any difference in these rounds? Have there been any design changes or is it just newer packaging? Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. #2 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Do not think so. Just marketing the same product.

3. #3 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    ...welcome to the forum from NC, RAGS. What are the specs on the various boxes? How do the different rounds compare physically? Are the boxes dated and what are Federal's ID # for the three? I suspect it's marketing, as mentioned, but there could be that something changed to produce "low recoil"...after a few folks got punched. Darn, the Hydros in their current configuration have been around for at least 15 years...I don't think they've changed, 'cause they can sell more than they can make. They did make a LEO round at some point that was offered to the public, but soon was corralled, although I think it was the larger calibers. "Personal Defense" if a recent buzz word that seems to designate "special" and "expensive", so everybody just piled on. Just curious.

Tarheel

4. #4 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Yeah, I figured it was probably a marketing thing. I have an older cardboard box that says 90 gr hydra-shok IIRC, its been buried and I can't locate it at the moment. I don't have any of the newer ones, but the pics I've seen on most of the websites show a plastic box and the words " low recoil" and "personal defence" , so I was just wondering if the ammo had changed recently is all. And thanks for the Welcome

5. #5 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    I am pretty sure they are all the same load, different marketing attempts. In any case the Hyrdra-Shok is a dated round to say the least. I am still alittle confused why people still buy them, and why they still make them. Not that it is a bad round, in its day it was awesome. Just the natural progression of technology has come up with better things.

6. #6 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Been carrying Hydra Shok I think 17+ years, Still a great round. Alot of gun tests show the HD STILL has the tightest groupings of the ammo tested. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. . If it was AWESOME back then, why isn't it NOW . Which ammo do you think is better and why.
    "HIS" Honesty-Integrity-Service
    www.hisrealty.net

7. #7 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict
    Been carrying Hydra Shok I think 17+ years, Still a great round. Alot of gun tests show the HD STILL has the tightest groupings of the ammo tested. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. . If it was AWESOME back then, why isn't it NOW . Which ammo do you think is better and why.
    The Hydra-Shok is still a decent round> But it is definitely old school compared to newer loads.
    The Ranger-T, Gold-Dot, DPX and HST all expand much more reliably is gel tests. On top of that the
    Hydra-Shok seems very prone to clogging and going strait through the target.

IMO Federal sells the Hydra-Shok for 1 reason. The name is well known. LE agency's use them
    and civilians use them because they know they have been proven. nothing wrong with that,
    but I would rather have something better since the cost will be the same.

8. #8 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Way to often we need the newest, latest widget and then try to convince ourselves what a great product this new product is.

9. #9 Re: 380 Hydra-shok question 
    Ditto Finn

It's what I have in my 9mm and .357..........goes bang every time and hits where I point it.....

I still have some of the original hydra-shock loads from before Federal bought them out....called "urban police loads"....38 special lead ..would use them tomorrow and they'd go bang
    NRA BENEFACTOR LM
    NYS Rifle and Pistol Association LM
    Empire State Arms Collectors Association LM

Everyone Needs a Code They Can Live By....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads