Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto?

This is a discussion on Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; I thought I may as well try reloading for my LCP so the reloading charts said to use a 9mm bullet. I picked up some ...

Thread: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto?

1. #1 Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    I thought I may as well try reloading for my LCP so the reloading charts said to use a 9mm bullet. I picked up some Hornady 90gr XTP bullets today but when I got them home, they have a rather pointed cone-head shape compared to the round nosed Remington factory ammo I got with the pistol. Both are hollow points. Will these XTPs work in a LCP? Thanks.

2. #2 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    Perfectly

3. #3 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    hornady critical defence are pointy as well and feed fine in my elsie I would use them if I could find them indeed.
    10mm S&W
    Ruger lcp
    colt 25 auto
    T/C 375 jdj
    ruger 338 win mag
    8mm mauser
    ruger 25-06
    cz 221 fireball
    ruger 10/22

4. #4 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    I use them too, work just fine. If you want to use them in the 10 or 15 round ProMag they must be seated pretty deep. I would have your mags with you when you seat the bullets to check them.

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data, mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's load data with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. And we recommend you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up.)

5. #5 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 45longcolt
    I use them too, work just fine. If you want to use them in the 10 or 15 round ProMag they must be seated pretty deep. I would have your mags with you when you seat the bullets to check them.

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data, mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's load data with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. And we recommend you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up.)
    I seated mine to .955 so they would go in the 10 round ProMag mags. Critical Defense round is on the left, 90 gr. XTP on the right.

6. #6 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    Thanks for the information 45longcolt.

7. #7 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    45Longcolt,

Do you have some favorite loads with the XTP? I use the critical defense XTP in my Elsie, but I have 200 XTP's I'm developing for practice rounds. I just loaded up W231 at 0.965 OAL, but have been delayed for 5 days in testing them. Any powder suggestions as well. My main reason for loading is just for practice to recreate the XTP critical defense round.

8. #8 Re: Is the Hornady 9mm XTP ok to reload for .380 auto? 
    (Note: With regard to posted reloading data, mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. And we recommend you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up.)

I use Unique powder and I would say about 4 grains will get you very close to the CD round. See this post and video. The 4.2 grains does 946.x FPS so 4 should run you right at CD speed. I got around 875 for the CD's with my LCP.

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4147.0

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads