Ammo Situation

This is a discussion on Ammo Situation within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; With the gun ban laws not doing so well, why is ammo still so scarce? I thought that by now things would have cooled down ...

Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ammo Situation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ammo Situation 
    With the gun ban laws not doing so well, why is ammo still so scarce? I thought that by now things would have cooled down and places could actually keep some on the shelves. If and when this ever happened before, I wasn't aware as I just started shooting and buying pistols in the last 6-8 months....terrible timing for my venture, huh? Even with our stores limiting customers to 1 or 2 boxes, 9mm and other popular rounds are still tough to find.

2. #2 Re: Ammo Situation 
    That does seem to be the question of the year. I have seen people make many attempts to figure it out, but nothing really concrete so far. I just think there is that many people are new buyers to guns, that AR15 show on last week that instructor's business has gone crazy with new shooters signing up for his classes and I know require you have to have at least 500-1000 rounds for allot of them, I am sure its like that all over the country. Stand in walmart in the ammo isle for 20 minutes and see how many people walk up to the empty ammo case with a disipointed look, I noticed that the day I was looking to purchase an air pistol. Now this is just my opinion and I truley have no real clue.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

3. #3 Re: Ammo Situation 
    Last week I visited Academy Sports here in Jackson, MS and I was very happy to see a fully stocked pistol display case. There were hardly any empty spots. After making a comment to the guy at the counter he fired off, "Yeah, if we only had ammo to sale with them!". So that makes me wonder what the heck is happening. Guns are back in my area but the ammo isn't.

Each time I happen upon some 9mm ammo, I always thank the folks at the store for limiting the quantity so we can all have a piece of the pie.

4. #4 Re: Ammo Situation 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimpson4 View Post
    With the gun ban laws not doing so well, why is ammo still so scarce?
    My theory is people are buying it as soon as it hits the shelves and selling it on Gun Broker and at gun shows for 2-3 times the price. Check it out. You can buy anything you want at either venue...for a price.
    Colt 1911 in the nightstand...Elsie in my pocket!

5. #5 Re: Ammo Situation 
    That kind of supports my theory, ok the guns are now coming back so people seem to have purchased their guns, they are now shooting them (thus ammo shortage) and I think as soon the "gun craze" and the newness to their new hobby wears back down to normal we will start seeing the ammo coming back to the shelves. I hope it's that simple, if not we could be in trouble here.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

6. #6 Re: Ammo Situation 
    I suspect the combination of a bad economy and threats of new laws have made ammunition manufacturers reluctant to invest capital in equipment, hire more workers, and other necessities to expand production to meet increased demand. I've also read that some ammo makers are actually having difficulty obtaining raw materials.

Eventually the free market will take care of it. Demand will cool and/or production will increase to balance it all out, assuming no more foolish laws are passed.

7. #7 Re: Ammo Situation 
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    assuming no more foolish laws are passed.
    Thats what scares me...
    Keep Calm, Carry on

8. #8 Re: Ammo Situation 
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon60 View Post
    Thats what scares me...
    +1 ... .....

9. #9 Re: Ammo Situation 
    So, just left the local store with a box of .380 and a box of Fiocchi 9mm. The 9mm was 147G but that's all they had so I got one box. At least I left with something!

10. #10 Re: Ammo Situation 
    ...according to my knowledgeable and well-connected LGS, all the factors expressed here have kicked in simultaneously...increased federal purchases (and questionable ones at that), hording, massive increase in firearms sales, etc. He also said that his major supplier indicated that CCI has suffered a two-week setback in primer manufacturing due to mechanical issues with two of their primary primer producing machines. May not seem like much, but CCI spits out primers by the boatloads and those issues have a huge and non-recoverable impact on the market. He's getting limited supplies of ammo and sells it only with a new gun purchase and/or for use by his concealed handgun course participants. He also does not anticipate any improvement for 7-9 months, as buyers are hungry and will gobble up whatever appears, even if not needed. The frenzy would feed on itself, as they say. Makes sense to me.

Tarheel
    Nomad likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads