"Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman

This is a discussion on "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; I just read the article, "Handgun Stopping Power" in the new September issue on NRA's American Rifleman. I still new at all this, so I'm ...

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    I just read the article, "Handgun Stopping Power" in the new September issue on NRA's American Rifleman. I still new at all this, so I'm a little confused by what I've read. My chosen .380 acp ammo, didn't fare very well, actually very few did. My 9mm ammo did okay though. What do you think? Do you think this article was good and fair or is there another I should read to base my decission?
    "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!" From the movie, "Blazing Saddles"
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger SR22PB

2. #2 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    Concentrate on the caliber you can use the best and be more accurate with. Thats the size that will protect you. I don't play the "my bullet is bigger than yours" game. If you have a .45 and can't control it, what good is it? The best SD caliber for any individual is the one they can shoot the best and be the most accurate with. Some people can be accurate with many different calibers some maybe only one. But what ever you do choose, practice with it often, it's not like riding a bicycle, with guns you always need to practice not only shooting them but keeping them clean and in good mechanical shape. Just my 2 cents.
    David White likes this.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

3. #3 "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    Ron is right. The key is being able to hit what you want to hit, close to where you want the bullet to go, regardless of its size. The consequences for not hitting your target may be great, and worse, the consequences for "accidentally" shooting an innocent person can be devastating and tragic. Worry more about shooting accurately than about the caliber of your weapon.
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

4. #4 "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    I choose the 9mm as my caliber of choice for similar reasons already stated by others. A part of this decision was cost and inventory. So far the 9mm remains among the least costly center fire cartridge. I shoot it better because I can afford to buy and shoot it more often. I also don't have to distribute my ammo budget over numerous other calibers resulting in less of each type. And it's interchangeable between the various handguns I own. I've learned that I'm not content with having and shooting only one gun, so the 9mm simplifies my inventory acquisition.

Each must decide a comfort point and this has become mine.
    David White likes this.

5. #5 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    I shoot a lot, mostly .45acp. Due to shooting 100's of rounds per week, I am pretty comfortable with most calibers. My preferred carry caliber is .45acp. However, it doesn't get carried much in warm months. Right now I mostly carry 9mm. My .380acp only gets carried around my property.
    I was impressed by the stats on the .327 Fed Mag. I have one in a 6 shot revolver and do carry it on occasion.

But, I agree with the others. You need to carry what you're comfortable with. If you can't hit what you're shooting at or don't have it with you because it's uncomfortable, it does you no good.

6. #6 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    Snake - I also picked up a .327 Fed Mag shooter and that is one impressive cartridge. It is amazing how close it is to the .357 mag in power, but with greatly reduced recoil. My normal carry is a .40, but Elsie loves her backup duty.

A 9mm will definitely get the job done and a lot of folks seem to shoot the 9mm better than the .380. I think the .380s just seem to get lost in big hands and that may be the problem. I have relatively small hands and find Elsie uncomfortable to shoot compared to my 9mm. Another thing to keep in mind is the 9mm ammo seems to be considerably cheaper than the .380, and the .327 is just as bad if not worse.

7. #7 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    I certainly would rather have a 45 acp when bad things happen, but I probably will have the LCP if it ever does because the 380 is so easy to carry. There is a lot of talk about stopping power of bullets and it always refers to one shot stopping power. My LCP is not a single shot and I intend to use all of them if necessary. There are two absolute truths in self protection with a gun.

1. You need to have a gun with you.
    2. You need be able to hit what you are aiming at.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

8. #8 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    I really appreciate all the replys. My main concern about the article is the minimum standards stated, 1,000 fps, 13" penetration, and 1.5 times expansion. My prefered carry gun is a Ruger LCP .380 acp and NONE of the .380 acp ammo tested met those conditions. I'm carrying Hornady CD now, but would it make sense to switch to Remington 102-GR Golden Saber, which comes closer to meeting their minimum requirements? Just looking for options.
    "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!" From the movie, "Blazing Saddles"
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger SR22PB

9. #9 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox1 View Post
    I really appreciate all the replys. My main concern about the article is the minimum standards stated, 1,000 fps, 13" penetration, and 1.5 times expansion. My prefered carry gun is a Ruger LCP .380 acp and NONE of the .380 acp ammo tested met those conditions. I'm carrying Hornady CD now, but would it make sense to switch to Remington 102-GR Golden Saber, which comes closer to meeting their minimum requirements? Just looking for options.
    Golden Sabre is what I prefer in my .380's. But you need to use what ever feeds reliably in your firearm. Try many brands and decide from the results.

10. #10 Re: "Handgun Stopping Power" article in the new America Rifleman 
    Ok so a .380 goes what about 8-10 inches into a BG's body and you have 6+1 rounds in a LCP and some of us now have 7+1 thanks to magguts.com, I am ok with that. Remember the awesome concealment your getting with that as well.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads