Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max??

This is a discussion on Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; Originally Posted by Stogies That's correct And nickel covered brass...

Thread: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stogies View Post
    That's correct
    And nickel covered brass

2. #32 Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by David White View Post
    If you read the Hornady web site, they say that the Critical Duty ammo is the ONLY AMMO to successfully pass the FBI testing.
    Just sayin .... Ya know?
    maybe of their own lines of handgun ammo it's the only one. but almost every other popular defense round from several manufacturers also "passed" (not sure thats really the right word) that test.
    In many contexts, "What would Jesus do?" is not a particularly helpful inquiry.

3. #33 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    They gotta keep coming up with something new for us to buy.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

4. #34 Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogdaddy View Post
    They gotta keep coming up with something new for us to buy.
    yep. if they called it Hornady Mundane Duty, Routine Duty, or KP Duty no one would buy it. now if they'd only make some Hornady Super Critical Duty Zombie Max Magnum +++P's. then we'd all be loaded for bear.

5. #35 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    YZ, you should be in marketing.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #36 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    yep. if they called it Hornady Mundane Duty, Routine Duty, or KP Duty no one would buy it. now if they'd only make some Hornady Super Critical Duty Zombie Max Magnum +++P's. then we'd all be loaded for bear.
    I think I'd be happy w/ just being loaded. Don't want no bear.... LOL

7. #37 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    maybe of their own lines of handgun ammo it's the only one. but almost every other popular defense round from several manufacturers also "passed" (not sure thats really the right word) that test.
    I believe that's not entirely correct. If I remember correctly there are only a handful of rounds that have ever managed to "pass" the test. The problem lies in the test demanding that the projectile not only pass a barrier but also penentrate to a certain depth past that. Glass in particular is very tough on bullets. Most popular offerings have no problems with SOME of the barrier tests but very few manage to pass ALL of them. It's a bit of a conondrum to design a bullett that does well with this test because a design that works well for one type of barrier is no good on another type of barrier and so on.

Whether or not we Civvies need something that the FBI believes they need is of course subject of a whole new debate! ;-)

8. #38 Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    I believe that's not entirely correct. If I remember correctly there are only a handful of rounds that have ever managed to "pass" the test. The problem lies in the test demanding that the projectile not only pass a barrier but also penentrate to a certain depth past that. Glass in particular is very tough on bullets. Most popular offerings have no problems with SOME of the barrier tests but very few manage to pass ALL of them. It's a bit of a conondrum to design a bullett that does well with this test because a design that works well for one type of barrier is no good on another type of barrier and so on.

Whether or not we Civvies need something that the FBI believes they need is of course subject of a whole new debate! ;-)
    that's why I was not sure about the word "pass". some ammo does better on certain parts of the evaluation and worse on others. the FBI doesn't publish their results so the manufacturers themselves conduct are pay others conduct "independent" tests based on the FBI protocol when they market their ammo. I'm not sure if non-FBI LE departments have access to the actual FBI evaluation, just go by what the FBI buys for themselves, conducts their own tests, or takes the manufactures' advertised results at face value. but the FBI protocol tests are about compromise and lots of ammo has been deemed "acceptable". I'm not knocking Critical Duty. It may be the cat's butt. But the Feds have in the past and are carrying other ammo at present that performed just fine overall.

9. #39 Re: Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    that's why I was not sure about the word "pass". some ammo does better on certain parts of the evaluation and worse on others. the FBI doesn't publish their results so the manufacturers themselves conduct are pay others conduct "independent" tests based on the FBI protocol when they market their ammo. I'm not sure if non-FBI LE departments have access to the actual FBI evaluation, just go by what the FBI buys for themselves, conducts their own tests, or takes the manufactures' advertised results at face value. but the FBI protocol tests are about compromise and lots of ammo has been deemed "acceptable". I'm not knocking Critical Duty. It may be the cat's butt. But the Feds have in the past and are carrying other ammo at present that performed just fine overall.

I have partaken in other discussions in other places where anything less than a +++PPP+++ 50 AE magnum load would have been ridiculed as utterly pointless to carry ... in case you need to take out an APC or something, I guess.

Personally I am not FBI and shooting thru barriers seems like a risky proposition to me anyway. ;-)

10. #40 Federal Premium Hydra Shock vs Hornady CD vs Hornady Zombie Max?? 
    Personally I am not FBI and shooting thru barriers seems like a risky proposition to me anyway. ;-)
    that's my view as well. drywall, doors, windshields etc sound like opportunities to tuck tail an run. I'm not a cop or a soldier. I want a bullet that'll work well through heavy clothing. everything else is just gravy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads