My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P

This is a discussion on My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; You LC9 folks may be interested. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...emium-hst.html...

Thread: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P

1. #1 My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. #2 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    Very nice write-up and good review. Thanks for taking the time and for sharing your results. Could you please provide me a link to your review of the same cartridge in Standard Velocity that you previously performed?

That is the round I carry in my Rohrbaugh R9. Thanks again.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

3. #3 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1
    Very nice write-up and good review. Thanks for taking the time and for sharing your results. Could you please provide me a link to your review of the same cartridge in Standard Velocity that you previously performed?

That is the round I carry in my Rohrbaugh R9. Thanks again.
    It's an oldie when I was transitioning from simple chronographing to my current testing protocol. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...amondback.html I was most interested in assuring expansion would take place since I was using the standard pressure HST in my R9 and DB9. I'm pretty much sold on anything HST.

Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

4. #4 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    ljutic .......Thanks for sharing all your info......

I would like to test the Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P in my Kahr CM9....

Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

5. #5 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    great test and write-up.

you mentioned some concern about the second shot not expanding as much. I disagree. just because the final expansion was less, didn't mean the bullet didn't completely open up to its widest possible diameter. at some point in the trajectory, both of those bullets expanded to roughly the same diameter. the second one just began to lay back down upon itself more than the first. that's why, in my opinion, final expansion measurements are not very important details. what's important is that it did expand fully (at least perpendicular) at some point.

I really like the HST. Hard to find though. I have a few boxes in 165gr 40 but no 9mm at the moment. relatively cheap when you find it. box of 50 for only $7-8 more than the 20rd boxes of Gold Dots etc.
    In many contexts, "What would Jesus do?" is not a particularly helpful inquiry.

6. #6 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    Thx for the great test results, as usual...solidifies my choice of carrying this round in the G26. This & the Gold Dot 124 Grain +P are without a doubt my 2 favorite rounds in 9mm. The standard pressure rounds aren't bad either, but if your gun will handle the +P, that is my suggestion.

Trigger, I got my brother to buy both these rounds for his CM9 & G19, and they function fine. I know I sold you on the Gold Dots, but the HST is equally impressive, when you can find it. I get mine @ Ammo To Go, but don't tell everyone! Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

7. #7 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    I actually did a trifecta over the weekend with Golden Saber Bonded 124 +P, Gold Dot 124 +P, and HST. Totally forgot the box of Ranger T 124 +P at the house or I would have done the quad-fecta. I'll let you guys know when the GS and GD reports go up. The good news is they are all excellent performers.

8. #8 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    Quote Originally Posted by ljutic
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1
    - - - snip - - - Could you please provide me a link to your review of the same cartridge in Standard Velocity that you previously performed?
    It's an oldie when I was transitioning from simple chronographing to my current testing protocol. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...amondback.html - - - snip - - -
    Thanks ljutic, for the additional link. Another very well written and photographed review. It was rewarding for me to see that my 2 9mm standard pressure self defense rounds of choice did so well. That HST bullet is a thing of beauty to behold in it's expanded state. (As you know, my Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth is restricted to standard pressure rounds.)

Thanks again for the links and for taking the time to run your tests.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

9. #9 Re: My terminal tests on Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P 
    as i have always said, nothing beats HS. it may be an oldie but is sure a goody. never leave the house without it. finn
    "HIS" Honesty-Integrity-Service
    www.hisrealty.net

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads