Tula Ammo Report

This is a discussion on Tula Ammo Report within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; After about of week of testing, I finally have a report on the Tula .380 ammo! Just out of curiosity I wanted to see if ...

Thread: Tula Ammo Report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tula Ammo Report 
    After about of week of testing, I finally have a report on the Tula .380 ammo! Just out of curiosity I wanted to see if this "dirty, unreliable ammo" was actually as bad as I had been told. Lucky for me, I get to shoot just about everyday (21 years old, live in the country, and the girlfriend doesn't mind the noise). The only downside being cost of ammo since I do not reload. So after looking around, the cheapest ammo I could find regularly was the Russian made Tula Ammo from Wally World. I admit I was a little hesitant at first but I decided to give it a try anyways. I will break this down into subcategories to make it easier to sift through. Total round count was 500 rounds of Tula for this test. Little Elsie only had 20 rounds of Winchester PDX1 and 100 rounds of Tula through her before this. Cleaned after every session; 50 rounds per session.

Reliability- Over all the Tula ammo for me was reliable. One of two issues was it would stick on the first round when I racked the slide, but I contribute that to me. After a polish job on the feed ramp she ran fine. Second, on one round it sounded weak compared to the others. Dropped mag, racked the action, and then checked with cleaning rod. Round had fired but sound was "off".

Accuracy - Accuracy was hit and miss for me. I take part of the blame, but every now and then a round would fly low or far to the side. Too much for operator error at 7 yards. Ususally I could get all 6 shots into a cinder-block size square. On an interesting note, I found that when I measured some of the rounds before shooting, the differences in over all case length and bullet seat depth varied by about 1/8 of an inch on some rounds. Those rounds I discarded just to be safe.

Fouling - Fouling wasn't any noticeably higher for me than the Winchester's except for a little more powder blast at the end of the muzzle. Cleaned up very easily with Hoppes #9. I did clean a little more than I normally do just to be sure but got no more gunk out after the repeated patches.

So overall I would like to say thumbs up on Tula Ammo, but I can't. The length discrepancy was too big of an issue to me. Out of those 500 hundred, 6 had that problem that I found. I just looked at them in the box and could tell some were taller or shorter than the majority and pulled those. I feel that is not worth saving a couple of dollars. Besides, I would rather buy American. I would love to hear anyone else's view on this. I was sold on Tula at first but after this, not so much. I know this is kinda plain Jane but figured someone might get some use from it.

2. #2 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    Excellent report, very comprehensive and gives me more info than most of the other posts on this thread. Given what most have to say I'll avoid this stuff unless I'm faced with not being able to find other practice/range ammo.

3. #3 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    I use Blazer http://www.blazer-ammo.com/hndgn.aspx I can usually get it for 13.95 a box.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

4. #4 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    Thanks for the great report. I have always avoided the Tula ammo because I had heard it was dirty. But it is nice to know all the information you gave us. Think i will continue to avoid it.

5. #5 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    I also use Blazer and PMC Bronze. I use a lot of PMC because I have a local retailer that keeps a lot of it in stock and at a reasonable price. I have shot Tula with no trouble but I tend to lean toward the brass case instead of steel for a number of reasons. One being that I am planning on starting to reload in 2012 and you can't reload steel.

BTW RogueLCP, I had also heard that Tula was dirty but did not really notice a big difference. I have decided to stay away for other reasons. Some forum members have shot LOTS of Tula with no problems and probably know more. I have only shot a couple of hundred.

Ruger is not a fan of the Russian steel cased ammo.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #6 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    It really sounds as if this was not bad ammo for training from your report. I notice that you have not used other brands of training ammo. You say that fouling was NOT worse than the 20 rounds of Winchester PDX1 and the gun was easy to clean? Your report gave fairly high remarks on most everything except some rounds had a length discrepancy. There is a lot of training ammo on the market, It would be interesting to see a comparison on WW,Rems etc. You might not want to give up on Tula until you have had a chance to shoot some of the others.

I have been shooting a lot of Tula lately and no misfires. The thing about the Tula is the fact that it is the most accurate for my LCP. I can get great groups with this ammo, much better than most of the training ammo I have used. In fact it is my training ammo of choice. I had groups of 2-4 inches per magazine with a average of one flyer but not more than 7 inches. I attribute that to my shooting and not the ammo.

I went to Walmart last night and bought the last 4 boxes of Tula for $14.97. The only other 380 in stock was Federal, and for my LCP this is nowhere as good as Tula and cost $17.97 per 50rds. I will give a full report after I have shot 1000 rds. Probably within the next two weeks.
    I have not noticed a length in the rounds but will check out the 4 boxes I bought last night. I doubt however that It will influence me one way or the other. By the way, my gun is well broken in with over 2000 rds and a Wolf #12 and Bt guide rod.
    I give the Tula a Thumbs UP! Thanks for the report and look forward to more.
    Thanks

7. #7 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    I have had the same experience as Dave. No problems with this ammo in 380, 9 or 45. Price is right also.

8. #8 Re: Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    Dave, yes I did (and still do give it high remarks, much better than I thought it would be). And I might just have had a bad batch of ammo also. I will definitely give Tula another try down the road though. Just going to wait a little while to make sure I'm not buying the
    same lot of ammo.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

9. #9 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    Shot 50 rounds of Tula from a CX4 today and another 120 from an AMD 65. Nothing wrong with it per se.

10. #10 Re: Tula Ammo Report 
    1/8 inch difference is alot in overall length....Thats kinda scary to me.....
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads