Learning about .380 ammo

This is a discussion on Learning about .380 ammo within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; Ruger says not to use high pressure (+P) ammo in the LCP. I want to avoid any high pressure ammo, but some boxes don't clearly ...

Thread: Learning about .380 ammo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Learning about .380 ammo 
    Ruger says not to use high pressure (+P) ammo in the LCP. I want to avoid any high pressure ammo, but some boxes don't clearly state standard or high pressure. Some of the manufacturers web sites don't really say what the pressure is either. How can I find out if a particular brand of ammo is standard or high pressure? I tried searching the forum and didn't come up with anything.

2. #2 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Manufacturers will plainly indicate on their packaging if the loads are +P or higher. Make sure your loads do not indicate +P or high pressure. The "standard" ammo referenced on here for practice and self defense, like Winchester White Box, S&B, Hornady CD, Gold Dots, etc. are standard pressure .380 loads.

I would also be leery of hand loads unless you've done them yourself.

Others will jump in here and clarify!

Mayo
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

3. #3 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayonardo
    Manufacturers will plainly indicate on their packaging if the loads are +P or higher. Make sure your loads do not indicate +P or high pressure. The "standard" ammo referenced on here for practice and self defense, like Winchester White Box, S&B, Hornady CD, Gold Dots, etc. are standard pressure .380 loads.

I would also be leery of hand loads unless you've done them yourself.

Others will jump in here and clarify!

Mayo
    Thanks Mayo. So if I'm reading you correctly, if the manufacturer doesn't state +P, then it's Standard. I'm relatively new to handguns and now I'm looking for my self-defense ammo for my LCP.

4. #4 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Lots of info on the forum about ammo. My personal favorite for defense is Hornady Critical Defense. Many on here like it but some swear by others. If you do a little searching in the Ammo Cache section you will find lots of information and opinions. Also on you tube you will find videos of ammo testing.

Also, once you find what defense ammo you want to use, you will want to shoot it enough to make sure your gun will cycle it through ok. But once you have your mind made up you may want something cheaper to shoot for practice. My practice rounds cost me about 30 cents per shot at a local retailer. My Critical Defense rounds are closer to a buck a bullet.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

5. #5 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense, I all so like Gold Dot.

RICHGCOOP

6. #6 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmood
    Thanks Mayo. So if I'm reading you correctly, if the manufacturer doesn't state +P, then it's Standard. I'm relatively new to handguns and now I'm looking for my self-defense ammo for my LCP.
    Schmood, Mayo is absolutely correct, so don't worry about shooting everything that DOES NOT have +P on the packaging, or listed as such on internet sites. Buffalo Bore ammo comes to mind when I think of +P, they make 2 or 3 different rounds with the +P label, go check out their website and you can visually see what everyone is talking about. I also agree with bigdogdaddy, try lots of different practice & SD ammo to ensure it functions properly in your LCP. I will practice with just about any FMJ brand ammo, but for SD, I carry the Speer Gold Dots. I wouldn't hesitate to carry any Jacketed Hollow Point produced by a reputable ammo manufacturer. For me, that would be American, but that's my preference. It takes $$$ to experiment, but $$$ well spent to ensure your safety! Good luck in your search! Buffalo Bore's site link is below. Yogi

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

7. #7 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    OK so I'm the new guy here and have no credibility to you; but have done some informal testing of the Magsafe .380 and have to say they did quite well. The majority of our test was shooting some boneless hams covered with a leather vest and a row of thin pork ribs. We found larger wound cavities with MagSafe than with any of the other loads we tried. Yes other loads had greater penetration, but a 9 inch wound cavity thru a leather vest and rib bone was enough to convince us that Magsafe was to be our choice.

Like I said new guy and no history for you to rely on. so feel free to ask any details you care to and Ill try and answer as best as I can.

8. #8 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Just my 2 cents worth, but I bought Hornady Critical Defense for both my LCP and my LC9. It's impossible to judge ammo from personal experience since fortunately I haven't shot anyone, but I like the idea behind it. It seems that a lot of people are using it also....

9. #9 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Plus one on the Hornady CD. I carry it in my LCP and my Glocks.

10. #10 Re: Learning about .380 ammo 
    Looks like I need to get some various SD ammo and do some comparison shooting. Not that I needed an excuse to take Elsie out for some fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads