Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round?

This is a discussion on Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? within the Ammo Cache forums, part of the General Category category; Note: this is not my video, I found it on the You Tubes. Tester gets 15.5" in bare gel with perfect star expansion out of ...

Thread: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 

Note: this is not my video, I found it on the You Tubes.

Tester gets 15.5" in bare gel with perfect star expansion out of a 2.7" barrel. He gets 1" greater penetration in clothed gel with the same perfect expansion. Looks like a very effective round compared to other 380 rounds (the tester has other videos in which other rounds do not perform nearly as well) that exceeds FBI penetration standard and achieves reliable expansion. Seems too good to be true for all that's said of the .380's supposedly "marginal" effectiveness.

This video (along with intermittent failures to feed Gold Dots) convinced me to at least try the XTP to see how it feeds. Please share, users of this load (not the Critical Defense), if you are satisfied with your choice. Goldenloki tested the Fiocchi XTP load and it performed poorly, but perhaps Hornady got it right.

Compare these results to a prior test of the same cartridge in a 3.8" barrel. http://www.firearmstactical.com/test...-90xtp-b85.htm. It looks like the XTP over-expanded from the higher velocity of the longer barrel.

2. #2 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    Thanks for the excellent video. Do you have other videos?

RICHGCOOP

3. #3 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    Interesting. I may have to give these a try. I noticed my local range has quite a few boxes of them in stock. Thanks for sharing.

4. #4 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    VERY nice video! When we did our testing into clay, the CD's did well, but due to losing daylight, I didn't test the Gold Dots in clay, just water. I haven't had feed issues with the Gold Dots, several mags slow fire and rapid. But I'm surely going to test more and pick up some of these rounds!!!

It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and NOT have it!

"We're responsible for our own safety, not the police. Police officers are not going to get fired if you get killed by bad guys, but they'll try to find those who did it. But you'll be dead."

LCP - Glock 26 - Taurus PT-945

5. #5 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    I prefer XTP over gold dot although I have not had a feed problem with GDs. I keep XTPs in all quick access guns around the house as well as Elsie

6. #6 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    i am the OP and i should clarify: this is not my video. very encouraging nonetheless.

7. #7 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    Quote Originally Posted by maiko
    Goldenloki tested the Fiocchi XTP load and it performed poorly, but perhaps Hornady got it right.
    I'm NO bullet expert, but I would think an XTP bullet is an XTP bullet, whether the rounds are made by Fiocchi or Hornady. That being said, I have heard good things & bad things about the XTP bullet, no matter who produces it. Obviously, the producer of the video got some pretty good results! Guess it all boils down to personal choice, and I will not bad mouth anyone's choice in SD ammo. I prefer the Gold Dots, that is what I carry daily. Any round loaded with the XTP bullet is better than no round at all! YMMV! Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

8. #8 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    I would think an XTP bullet is an XTP bullet
    bullets yes, loadings maybe not. golden loki chrono'd the Hornady CD (advertized to be same velocity out the barrel as the Horndady XTP load) to be about 40fps faster than the Fiocchi XTP.

9. #9 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    Quote Originally Posted by maiko
    I would think an XTP bullet is an XTP bullet
    bullets yes, loadings maybe not. golden loki chrono'd the Hornady CD (advertized to be same velocity out the barrel as the Horndady XTP load) to be about 40fps faster than the Fiocchi XTP.
    I suppose there could have been a lot of variables that were different also. With a .380 traveling at 900 or 860 fps (using these #'s as an example, not quoting actual velocities), I would think the bullet would still perform the same...but who knows. I know Fiocchi's loads are pretty snappy, I use their FMJ's for practice in my G26. I kind of would have expected the opposite fps ratings! When SHTF, I'm sure they both would do the trick! Thx again for the video, enjoyed watching. Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

10. #10 Re: Hornady XTP: Best Penetrating Expanding .380 Round? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi 117
    I know Fiocchi's loads are pretty snappy, I use their FMJ's for practice in my G26. I kind of would have expected the opposite fps ratings!
    a bit off topic, so i will keep it short. i always thought fiocchi's were hot due to the large muzzle blast that some of their rounds produce. but check their velocity ratings. their 357 magnum 158gr extrema XTP loading is a very slow round, and a poor performer from a rifle compared to full strength 357 loads. coming full circle, perhaps XTP tends to be downloaded due to fragmenting concerns at high velocities?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads